FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the longest visa one can get for Thailand

Liked

Re: 12 month multiple

Quote Originally Posted by Dboy
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDesire
    does that exist?

Don't even consider the Elite card mentioned above as this was a failed program created awhile back that got very little support and was actually a bit of a disaster for the people who created it. The Thai Elite Card is only mentioned now as a joke. Basically it was a ripoff. None of the benefits listed on the Elite Card website are even functional anymore. Very few of these cards were ever actually sold (under 200 sold as I recall). One of the biggest supposed benefits was that this card would allow a foreigner to buy up to 1.6r of land...that did not work out as advertised. This all happened in 2003 or so and is now just historical information. Elite card is dead. That's all you need to know.

dboy
    Maybe it's not completely dead.

http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_01_09_50_2.htm

Liked

Elite Card

They are "reworking" "revamping" "down-scaling" it, whatever. Read in Pattaya News last week that the committee was having it's last meeting. Probably developing a new committee to try to fix the thing. The way the whole thing was handled it seems to me a huge risk to sink a bunch of baht into a program right now with unknown benefits. The way it was originally sold they made it sound like you were buy "keys to the city" or something. The reality was a long way from that. Read something in the Bangkok Post in spring of this year saying they planned on doing away with all of their marketing partners, drastically reduce the cost of the card, basically create a whole new program. No idea what will happen to original buyers of this thing. And of course this was a pet project of Mr. Taksin so there are probably political issues going on in the background. The same people who hate TRT probably hate the Elite Card. Now, if it turns out this new card REALLY allows you buy land and get a "forever" Visa, then hell yeah that's a good thing. But it's not sorted out yet.

dboy

I've just checked out the O visa (1 year visa)

I knew it existed but did not think it was available, thought it was for retirees that sort of thing. Anyway, checked it out and it costs ┬г100 but the most you can stay in Thailand is 90 days then you have to leave and come back to get it reinvigorated, the most you can stay then in Thailand doing it this way is around 15 months. ie. visa dated 1 January, visit Thailand for 90 + 90 + 90 + 90, then make sure you leave Thailand before your 1 year visa expires so you get another 90 days, all in all around 15 months.

Ideal if you want to travel around SE Asia and base yourself in Thailand and visit the other places such as Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong on a long trip.

Re: I've just checked out the O visa (1 year visa)

I knew it existed but did not think it was available, thought it was for retirees that sort of thing. Anyway, checked it out and it costs ┬г100 but the most you can stay in Thailand is 90 days then you have to leave and come back to get it reinvigorated, the most you can stay then in Thailand doing it this way is around 15 months. ie. visa dated 1 January, visit Thailand for 90 + 90 + 90 + 90, then make sure you leave Thailand before your 1 year visa expires so you get another 90 days, all in all around 15 months.

Ideal if you want to travel around SE Asia and base yourself in Thailand and visit the other places such as Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong on a long trip.
    Sounds like you got it sorted out and have a proper understanding how it works.

Until I started learning about the visas, I thought "visa runs" were only comprised of 30-day visa-waiver stamped folks getting a new visa-waiver stamp. Turns out a fair amount of "visa runners" are Non-Immigrant O visa holders getting a fresh stamp for a new 90 day period.

Guys,

They have allowed me to have free visas for seven years, however, they did charge me 20,000 baht overstay whilst I was in prison.! [ after they released me!]

Believe me, you cannot make stories like this up!

KQUILL

So what is your status now? Do you have a retirement visa or something? If you don't mind me asking.

Separately, I really did think this visa run thing has been done away with, but basically what people do now is get this O visa and stay there for 15 months before coming home to the UK and probably getting another another. Where do people go (the shortest route) for their visa runs (without me looking at the map).

Re: KQUILL

[quote="WhiteDesire"]So what is your status now? Do you have a retirement visa or something? If you don't mind me asking.

Separately, I really did think this visa run thing has been done away with, but basically what people do now is get this O visa and stay there for 15 months before coming home to the UK and probably getting another another. Where do people go (the shortest route) for their visa runs (without me looking at the map).[/quote

Whitedesire,

I am 45 so do not qualify for retirement visa.

I am on Non immigrant "B" visa.

Because I am a nuisance to them, and technically still on bail? [ seven years!] They basically ignore me and let me do as I please!

Usual favourite place for visa runs is Cambodia.

thanks for all the input

I still haven't decided what I am doing yet but I'm sitting on a nestegg and wonder and wonder - but also I wouldn't want to do anything that could go wrong - I remember going to live in a country once and only managed 6 months, it was inaptly thought out - I don't regret it but well one learns.

Re: thanks for all the input

I still haven't decided what I am doing yet but I'm sitting on a nestegg and wonder and wonder - but also I wouldn't want to do anything that could go wrong - I remember going to live in a country once and only managed 6 months, it was inaptly thought out - I don't regret it but well one learns.

Whitedesire,

I love this place, however, I did come here financially OK!

A lot of guys arrive, [fall in love with Thailand,] and their dreams override the realities of their finances and that of the Country and what they can afford.

I don't regret a moment of my life here, its been great but I really try to stay realistic.

I'm not sure if I get it right all the time [ probably not!]

KQUILL

What u doing up this time of the morning, I'm at work at the moment its 23:42 Tuesday night (UK). Anyway, you must like it being there all that time. But why I am deciding and not deciding etc is because, so many people get it wrong out there, and run out of money. Lets face it, unless one stays in their house day in day out and doesn't get about, it's pointless moving to a country - one probably needs more money than the UK to "do the things they want" in Thailand due to the fact that everything in, for instance, Pattaya, is sexually based. Let's face it that is what the majority of people go out there for. Anyway, I'm weighing up my options. Malaysia is another alternative place to go - we'll see.