List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NO SMOKING in night venues coming soon BRAVO!

Don't anyone take wowpow too seriously. As well as being Sawatdee's chief missaligned cut and paster, he is ALWAYS coming up with dire "the law is coming down" posts that hardly ever do in fact. They are gonna get rid of cellphones in cars (every taxi i see now has TVs in his car), restrict alchohol, stop smoking, make bars close earlier, stop coyote dancing, on and on with his news about the demise of sinful acts around the world. He just reads how dull the west is and why and hopes they'll ruin this place as well. It's deathly boring, dear. Will he self exile himself back to the FART STOP again please where that kind of posting is pervasive. Leave us alone!

Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.

Re: I don;t smoke...

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley
    It will only hurt business for bars that are already hurting. Keep it up and the slow season will be year round.
    Reports of the effect of similar smoking bans in America, Ireland and the UK tend to disprove your theory. An initial drop in sales and customers was reported in each case but these quickly recovered and, here in the UK, present reports seem to indicate that most pubs and bars are now experiencing more (healthier and happier) customers and trade than they did before the ban came into effect.

That said, as this is Thailand, it is doubtful if such a ban will be effective or last very long anyway given the Thai gift for circumventing or just simply ignoring such laws.

Liked
    That said, as this is Thailand, it is doubtful if such a ban will be effective or last very long anyway given the Thai gift for circumventing or just simply ignoring such laws.
    One of the Discos in Chiang Mai tried no smoking for a while. I noticed that Thais would step outside, light up and then re-enter the disco with the lit cigarette in their hand. Management was just fine with that--after all they did not light up in the disco.

It seems to me that in many venues it's not the customers that are smoking up the place but rather it's the owners and the staff that are puffing away.
    E Dok Tong

Forum's veteran
    Liked

great for Thais

When the state of California band smoking in the bars I thought it would never spread else where...but now in the States, even smaller cities are adopting the NO SMOKING band...and I see where London is doing the same. Depending on the city (and weather) there are usually outside places to sit and smoke. This can be done in tropical Bangkok also.

I am a nonsmoker and I hate it when I walk out of the dance clubs in BKK (such as DJ's or GOD) and the next day I can smell my cigarette smoked clothes from the distance...just think what I have been breathing in all night. This law will be great for the young Thais who think it is "cool" to pose and smoke at the clubs...what little do they know that to most Westerners, it is a big turn off. (I'd rather have them smoke my cigar.) :compress:

Liked

No Smoking

When i go to Thailand it is quite a shock to go back into a smoking enviroment - for years smoking in a public building and workplace has been band in New Zealand - bars all seem to have a smoking area outside. As an ex smoker that still craves a cig from time to time the bars in Thailand help me to stay off.

Re: No Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by alipatt
    When i go to Thailand it is quite a shock to go back into a smoking enviroment - for years smoking in a public building and workplace has been band in New Zealand - bars all seem to have a smoking area outside. As an ex smoker that still craves a cig from time to time the bars in Thailand help me to stay off.

So then Guys,

Thai males must only smoke outside disco's, correct???,

if they smoke inside, it is considered rude?

Liked
    In Melbourne , non smoking in restaurants was introduced 6 years ago. Public transport, sporting venues

banks, shops and office buildings have progressively followed.

On 1 July together with many cities around the world, bars and discos were added to the list.

My smoking friends far from being angry, have welcomed the introduction.

Talk back radio has many comments about the anti social smells that can now be identified,

that were hidden before. Smelly armpits and other personal areas, bad breath and overuse of colognes.

It is now week 10 and there was a reduction of crowds but it seems they are returning slowly now, and

complaints have been balanced by positive comments. My regular partner to LOS was a 2 large packs a day

smoker. He now puts the 700 baht per day he is saving into his mortgage

Government figures earlier this year, shows the smokers in this state now below 19%, which is one of the lowest

in the world. Things do take time.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    In Melbourne , non smoking in restaurants was introduced 6 years ago. Public transport, sporting venues

banks, shops and office buildings have progressively followed.

On 1 July together with many cities around the world, bars and discos were added to the list.

My smoking friends far from being angry, have welcomed the introduction.

Talk back radio has many comments about the anti social smells that can now be identified,

that were hidden before. Smelly armpits and other personal areas, bad breath and overuse of colognes.

It is now week 10 and there was a reduction of crowds but it seems they are returning slowly now, and

complaints have been balanced by positive comments. My regular partner to LOS was a 2 large packs a day

smoker. He now puts the 700 baht per day he is saving into his mortgage

Government figures earlier this year, shows the smokers in this state now below 19%, which is one of the lowest

in the world. Things do take time.

Guys,

I am now one year and two months since I finished three packs a day!

OK, I had a rude awakening, but I will never touch one again!

However, I also promise never to criticize or force my opinions on those that do!

Moves for wider ban on smoking
    Anti-smoking restrictions for night entertainment venues will come into effect early next year, Health Minister Mongkol na Songkhla said yesterday.
    The Nation - Published on September 11, 2007

The ban will be enforced with stricter measures under a new ministerial regulation on other places - including non-air-conditioned areas in markets and restaurants.
    All areas in state and private hospitals will also become no-smoking zones.

Public hearings held by the ministry showed overwhelming support for the ban in night entertainment venues. The new rules will be pushed through in the next three months. The ministry will also launch other measures to reduce the number of smokers in Thailand, who number around 10 million. State assistance had been promised under a new ministry plan, Mongkol said.

Among the approved measures is the setting up of a state-run National Quitline - a move uncommon even in developed countries. The toll-free number would be printed on all cigarette packs sold in Thailand.

Dr Hathai Chitanont, chairman of the Global Alliance On Cigarette Tariffs, said around a quarter of the 846 billion cigarettes produced each year vanished into black markets and were subsequently sold to smokers at lower prices.

Liked
    I agree like smoking is a personal choice, I smoked and I quit cold turkey. My house my clothes my breath everything smells better. I may not to smoke them but, I guess as they say I will defend till their death their right to smoke them. I have every right to sit beside them or look for another venue that does not allow them to smoke but to out law them is an infringement on human rights. I agree it would be nice if we had never seen one and no doubt we would have a greater population than we have now. nature has a way of balancing population and maybe this is her way of getting rid of the ones that have little or no will power to quit.

Wes
    All the Best!

Wes