Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: internet connection

Forum's veteran
    Liked

internet connection

Ok, this isn't a computer tech forum but I am too lazy to look for one... and I am sure some of you have an answer/opinion to this question.

QUESTION: Lately I have been unable to connect to various web sights. For example, I cannot get to my mail in my Yahoo account; yet I can access into my Hotmail account. I can get connected to Google; but I cannot get to my personal bank web sight.

With Sawatdee web sight it is 50-50. Which websight my computer will be able to connect to is unpredictable --but my Skype still works. I know the answer would be that some of the sights are too busy ---but some of the web sights I try to get to can't be any busier than Hotmail and if I go to a internet cafe, I can access these websights that don't show up on my computer.

Any serioius answers to this will be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: internet connection

Quote Originally Posted by thrillbill
    Ok, this isn't a computer tech forum but I am too lazy to look for one... and I am sure some of you have an answer/opinion to this question.

QUESTION: Lately I have been unable to connect to various web sights. For example, I cannot get to my mail in my Yahoo account; yet I can access into my Hotmail account. I can get connected to Google; but I cannot get to my personal bank web sight.

With Sawatdee web sight it is 50-50. Which websight my computer will be able to connect to is unpredictable --but my Skype still works. I know the answer would be that some of the sights are too busy ---but some of the web sights I try to get to can't be any busier than Hotmail and if I go to a internet cafe, I can access these websights that don't show up on my computer.

Any serioius answers to this will be appreciated. Thanks.
    Are you using dial-in services at home? Telephone lines here and, especially poor switching equipment in your apartment building, can be true SHIT for 56K modem communications (here and the rest of Asia). Try to listen to the line and recognize connected moments when real data is going back and forth (steady hum) versus those where the connected modems have disconnected and are just trying to renegotiate a dropped connection with each other (singing). Any seeming relation to which websites is just coincidental. You may need to get your apartment bldg to upgrade equipment but there is no law in Thailand that I know of where you could make them do that.

TCP/IP is amazing that among all those erratic disconnections it can persist and complete, albeit erratically. But it does tend to freeze things up, too.

My dial-in problems mostly went away with the ADSL but whenever the phone rings the connection drops. It's the interior lines and it will be a while before they are ever fixed. :-(

Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
    Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.

Liked

DNS

This could be:

1) a DNS issue

2) ping-timeout (your connection too slow)

3) some type of content-filtering (doubtful)

4) conflicting software (doubtful)

5) various other network issues (too many possible to list)

a few tests to run, let's stick with ONE website in order to remove other variables:

* dialup or broadband? If dialup, you probably have a dirty phoneline (too much noise on the line)

* can you CONSISTANTLY not reach yahoo mail? (after it fails, click 'refresh' on your browser

* can you reach yahoo.com? (www.yahoo.com has a different IP address from mail.yahoo.com). if one works and the other doesn't, then you probably have a DNS issue (ISP's fault)

* do you have only one computer? If you have more than one, try connecting to yahoo mail with the other one (if it works, then its a computer issue)

* not only could the website be busy (doubtful), the DNS server that does the name resolution could be busy or down (can test this but requires command-line knowledge)

* try Firefox. IE should not be used for anything (not kidding)

*are you using Windows? if yes, switch to Linux. This will solve your problem (kidding)

Dboy

Liked

DNS

this for Windows XP.
    click on start, then run.
    then type cmd to start command window
    type ipconfig /flushDNS

This will flush the DNS resolver cache.

Reload IE and see if that helps.

BTW, I have found that some web sites, after they do an upgrade, the display gets garbled.
    This is due to cache of display pages/ If you see that, open IE Tools Internet Options
    and delete files (and all off-line content).

Try Firefox.

Liked

Another Computer Question

I plan on coming to Thailand (going to Thailand?) next year. I will be staying about three months. I want to do some work while I am in Pattaya and will need an internet connection. I have a laptop with a wireless connection. Most of the projects I am working on can be downloaded onto a flash drive.

Should I bring my laptop to pattaya? It is relatively light but I hate lugging the thing through customs and I am worried it might be stolen. Is it possible to just bring the flash drive and work out of the internet cafes? Would it be possible or even practical to rent a computer to use in my hotel room? If I brought my laptop would my wireless card work?
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

Liked

Re: Another Computer Question

Quote Originally Posted by kittyboy
    If I brought my laptop would my wireless card work?
    Yes.

Depends on the Wifi quality in the hotel or condo you rent. In one that I use I have to go to the lobby; in another I'm OK if I'm on a lower floor.

One of my laptops has a smaller overall size and will fit into hotel safes. Unfortunately this means a small screen size so I have to use my reading glasses with it.

Flash drives are great but if you don't bring the laptop remember you need two; one for back-up. Many internet cafe's have really slow machines and may take a long time to transfer large documents.

Of course, if the Thai authorities discover that you are working you may find yourself in an Immigration cell whether you are taking work away from the local population or not. This even applies to unpaid charity work.

Liked

Internet Connections

Hey - I am an academic and will be working on some school projects (Papers and Class preparations), so I suspect that the Thai authorities woud not be chasing up and down the sois trying to issue a deportation order on me for unauthorized work, but it could happen

My laptop is not small enough to fit into a hotel room safe. I am not an alarmist but I would not feel comfortable leaving it in my room when I was gone and leaving it with the hotel staff for safe keeping would not make me feel much better.

Do any of the local Pattaya internet cafes have decent internet speeds? Most of what I plan on doing is taking hand written notes and then typing them up into Word documents. I assume that most of the internet cafes have Microsoft Word loaded onto their computers? or is that wrong?[/i]
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.