Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: An idle morning after a night at the races . . .

Liked

An idle morning after a night at the races . . .

. . . down 60 bucks :cherry:

Just messing around on YouTube this rainy morning and was thinking late 50's, early 60's singers and music.

Stumbled across a very young Paul Anka singing one of his huge teenage hits 'Put Your Head on My Shoulder'. I remember this one like it was yesterday, but must admit to not appreciating his very compelling singing voice back then.
    Anka became a Las Vegas lounge lizard and song writer later in life, but those early years (and songs) were a pretty incredibile time for an eastern Ontario high school kid with a voice like silk, a sexy swagger, and a string of #1 hits.

This one was sung live (I believe) at an Ed Sullivan Show in New York. (You have to hit the word 'Link' under the image ... it won't play embedded in the message pane)

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=lGzoeFkxP5s&mode=related&search=[/youtube]

But listening to that Paul Anka song got me to enjoying his voice much more than I did when I was a kid . . . and to thinking that it sounded (and had a "feel") very similar to the style and sound of my all-time sweet singing voce favourite, Sam Cooke. Sounds like heresy I know, but give the two of them a listen in one session and I think you'll see what I mean. Cooke was always considered iconic and one-of-a-kind with that easy-going sensual voice, but I think Paul Anka ~ now that I hear this again ~ was nearly there as well. Underappreciated perhaps.

They're both great singers. And these are two of their greatest songs.
    Sam Cooke's 'You Send Me' is from a Dick Clark's American Bandstand show, and I believe it is a lipsynch. I don't know why Clark always insisted on his performer guests lipsynching . . . Cooke without a doubt could sing this song live standing on his head, and it would still be perfect.
    Love the audience in this show ~ not a black face to be seen, except for Sam's!

God, Same Cooke was a handsome dude!

(The Same Cooke video will play embedded. Just click twice in the arrow at the centre of the image)

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=irTUArtwBWI[/youtube]

(Sorry to you folks in Thailand, as I believe YouTube is still banned there. Ridiculous.)

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

I'm half ok with that...

I don't get too excited about Anka (one step up from Wayne Newton!) but totally agree about Sam Cook. He had a lot of pretty nice tunes: Wonderful World, Twisting the Night Away, Stand by Me, You Send Me, etc. (I've got about 8 MP3's of his tunes).
    Of course, we're dating ourselves (what were we, 11-13 years old when these guys first hit the scene?).
    Cheers...

I hadn't realised ...

... before today that you're a jockey, Smiles

Liked

Re: I hadn't realised ...

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    ... before today that you're a jockey, Smiles
    [youtube]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TDEj3WREy_4[/youtube]
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TDEj3WREy_4