Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Eva Air

Eva Air

I noticed that Eva have got a deal on at the moment but you need to buy now or within the next couple of weeks I think, to Lon-BKK return for ┬г435 (including taxes). Book by 30 Aug for departures 26 Aug тАУ 9 Dec with Dial a flight, although I have never used them.

Liked

several good deals now

There is also a good deal on ethiad of ┬г440 odd and Thai now have a ┬г436 deal but all have to go out before 30 november as that seems to be the season change. Shop around as they will go quick - the december fares are about ┬г600.

Liked
    I found this site particularly useful if you can be flexible on dates of travel.
    hoodaki.com

EVA

I've been flying with Eva since 1995; its pros (and some cons) have often been discussed here but my loyalty speaks for itself.
    Just one word of advice to a first-timer; try to pay the extra ┬г150 or so (LHR-BKK, that is) for an upgrade to Deluxe. Of course, if you can afford it (and I can't) Business is even better! As a frequent flier (four times a year to BKK), I get an up-grade every two or so trips.

Re: EVA

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson
    I've been flying with Eva since 1995; its pros (and some cons) have often been discussed here but my loyalty speaks for itself.
    Just one word of advice to a first-timer; try to pay the extra ┬г150 or so (LHR-BKK, that is) for an upgrade to Deluxe. Of course, if you can afford it (and I can't) Business is even better! As a frequent flier (four times a year to BKK), I get an up-grade every two or so trips.
    EVA's current return fare LHR/BKK/LHR for de-luxe (premium economy) is currently approx ┬г1080, including all taxes, (and has been for some months). Have been a regular user with EVA but never flown normal economy (which is what the current offer is) - the seat pitch is far too small and cramped (same with BA/Qantas), especially for an 11/12 hour flight. If you are flying normal economy, Emirates, Etihad or Thai (if you want a direct flight) are far more comfortable.

Liked
    Last year when I went online to select a deluxe (elite) seat, I was given a larger selection of seats but now the area seems to be much smaller. Is there 2 classes within the deluxe class? Next trip I will have enough frequent flyer miles to up-grade. Will the up-grade be to business class or to the better section of deluxe class?

For the original poster, once I changed to Eva, I have never thought of going with another airline. I just wish they would fly into Toronto so I wouldn't have to take Air Canada to Vancouver.

Liked
    Doug, on the 747's, there are just three classes - first class or premium laurel (up front on the 777's and upstairs on the 747's), evergreen deluxe (front end of main level) and economy in the back of the main level. On their 777's, I think there are four classes: first or premium laurel way in the very front, then some super business class, then elite (like the evergreen deluxe), and then economy.

I've used EVA for about 10 trips and always get the upgraded economy (again, elite on the 777's and evergreen deluxe on the 747's). A couple of friends of mine think like the evergreen deluxe (747's) better because they say the seats are more comfortable and there is a bit more room (on the new 777's, the entertainment system for each seat takes up a little space that's not used on the 747's). I rather prefer the 777's.....newer interior and a bit stiffer seats that I prefer (plus excellent entertainment system, bigger tv screen, and plug-in for my laptop). I understand the that the interiors of the 747's are supposed to be updated soon but I haven't seen it as yet.

When you book, it's sometimes difficult to get the 777's from Taipei to Bangkok so you might be on both a 777 and 747 on your trip over.

From Michigan, it is actually cheaper for me to fly Northwest economy to LA and then the elite/evergreen EVA to Bangkok than flying economy all the way on Northwest (Northworst?). But, for me, the best part of the deal with EVA is that the EVA flight lands in Bangkok about 11AM and the departing trip leaves about 5PM (I trade one night in LA for two nights in Bangkok - a bargain any old day to me). I will never again be in a taxi at 3:30AM to the airport to fly back to the states (can't sleep that night and it makes the trip back horrible to me).

By the way, the October prices (when I booked my trip) for Northwest economy all the way was $1560.00 where as the Northwest to LA economy and EVA elite total was $1435.00 (better travel times, better service, more room, better food, cleaner bathrooms, and all for less money....not bad).

Liked

Re: EVA

Quote Originally Posted by Snowkat
    EVA's current return fare LHR/BKK/LHR for de-luxe (premium economy) is currently approx ┬г1080, including all taxes, (and has been for some months). Have been a regular user with EVA but never flown normal economy (which is what the current offer is) - the seat pitch is far too small and cramped (same with BA/Qantas), especially for an 11/12 hour flight. If you are flying normal economy, Emirates, Etihad or Thai (if you want a direct flight) are far more comfortable.
    This might be the case through EVA's website but Airline Network are offering LHR/BKK/LHR in Elite (premium economy) for ┬г889 including all taxes. The website seldom has offers on Elite form London but quite frequently from Amsterdam. Those of us living in the provinces have to change somewhere and it might just as well be AMS as LHR. Having said that Airline Network and one or two others generally turn out cheaper than going via AMS anyway.

I, too, fly EVA regularly. I always fly deluxe out of LAX. They often provide me a courtesy upgrade to business from Taipei to BKK, because they have empty business seats and can resell my deluxe seat to some one else. The only thing that bothers me about EVA is what appears to me to be their very very ethnocentric behavior in the favor of Taiwanese people. I can not tell you how many times I have already had an assigned seat number and they have told me at the airport that the only deluxe seats available are the ones by the toilet. After showing my seat reservation number the supervisor comes over and reassigns me to another seat away from the toilet. Upon boarding the aircraft, guess what??, there is always a Taiwanese passenger in the seat that I had a reservation for. On one trip they tried to leave me in Bangkok because no seat available....and guess what... I got on the airplane after insisting I already had an assigned seat on the plane and a Taiwanese was in my seat.

I recommend EVA they provide a good service, but be on your guard and always have your seat reservation with you to wave in their faces if necessary. Chinese culture is not Thai culture....no need to be calm and quiet with EVA.

one of the things I noticed with Eva ...

... on a couple of occasions is that the Elite class is generally totally full, and the economy seats on occasions are empty, sometimes its worth taking a chance taking an economy seat, where you can get 2 or 3 seats to yourself.