Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: GPS and Maps of Thailand (in english)

Liked

GPS and Maps of Thailand (in english)

Anyone with recommendations/experiences of a portable, battery-back GPS unit with maps of thailand?
    I looked at the Garmin site and they have some nice looking products (Quest series) but I did not see
    any maps available for Thailand or Bangkok. They did have a world map but that was more highways
    and not down to city-street level.

Thanks for any advice you mau have!

Re: GPS and Maps of Thailand (in english)

Quote Originally Posted by gearguy
    Anyone with recommendations/experiences of a portable, battery-back GPS unit with maps of thailand?
    I looked at the Garmin site and they have some nice looking products (Quest series) but I did not see
    any maps available for Thailand or Bangkok. They did have a world map but that was more highways
    and not down to city-street level.

Thanks for any advice you mau have!
    An Expat that has worked in a GPS related industry here for ten years might laugh at that, GearGuy.

My Garmin, 10 years old, hasn't greatt map functions available. But it has a lot of points all over to plot on its world map.

Liked
    Garmin produces the GPS units (the hardware, various models) ; ESRI produces software (the maps, without which the hardware is virtually useless. There is at least one other producer of GPS maps in Thailand, but it only covers BKK and surrounding area -- not even Pattaya. The ESRI map of Thailand is street level and is superb. It has been revised every three or four years.

You can purchase a Garmin GPS in various places in Pattaya (bookstores etc.) but the sales peopleтАЩs ignorance of them is profound, and only one or two models are available. So far as I am aware, the only knowledgeable place to buy one is from the distributor in BKK where there are many models: Garmin Sale Service Tel : 02-636-8421 FAX : 02-266-9944. I have bought two units from them and am quite satisfied.

Your profile indicates you are in the US. As with automobiles and much other imported merchandise, Thailand has a 100% duty on GPS units. It would be best to purchase the unit in the US, and pick up the map from ESRI in BKK.

Liked

Thanks Geezer!

for the very informative reply! Much appreciated!