List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thai boy gives Farang $10 tip....

Liked

I am 10 hours away from the Canadian Border

I still have found no real reason to go there. Thanks but no thanks. I do love them as people though. I hear real liberals go there all the time just to get the fuzzes.

Wesley
    All the Best!

Wes

elephantspike
    Quote Originally Posted by kquill
    Why are people expected to do this in the US, why don't they just get a fair rate of pay and percentage of service charge???

Is there service charge in the US on top of the tips???

I went to Canada twice and there were funny taxes I recall, something like GST and some others.
    Taxes do not go to your server. They go to the government, and in the case of the USA, the government does nothing for working people. If we do not buy insurance for $300 - $500 a month, if we get sick, we just have to suffer until we die. In many cases, even if we do pay the extortionate insurance premiums, we still won't be treated for life-threatening illnesses.

None of that has anything to do with tipping for service in restaurants, though. In this country, if you don't do it, it is pretty much considered theft of services.

If you have a "gratuity" added to your bill, however, that is supposed to go right to the server, 100% of it. If it does not, then it is the owner of the establishment who is the thief.

Re: I am 10 hours away from the Canadian Border

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley
    I still have found no real reason to go there. Thanks but no thanks. I do love them as people though. I hear real liberals go there all the time just to get the fuzzes.

Wesley
    Dear Wes,

In my view, it is one of the most well kept, pristine places on Earth.

I intend to get to New Zealand as well hopefully.

I've never been to the US.

Dear Spike,

I understand the taxes, that is the same as VAT etc, it is government money. My point was, it was confusing between areas of Canada and called by different names in different regions, such as Quebec and Toronto.

The point I made, as yet unanswered, why don't they put on a service charge or gratuity tax as you mentioned, to the bill in the US??

They do in many places. This would remove the need and ambiguity for errors,mistakes, theft of services.

Not everyone,especially first time visitors, is going to understand the downtrodden workers in the US or the systems.

elephantspike
    Dear Spike,

I understand the taxes, that is the same as VAT etc, it is government money. My point was, it was confusing between areas of Canada and called by different names in different regions, such as Quebec and Toronto.

The point I made, as yet unanswered, why don't they put on a service charge or gratuity tax as you mentioned, to the bill in the US??

They do in many places. This would remove the need and ambiguity for errors,mistakes, theft of services.

Not everyone,especially first time visitors, is going to understand the downtrodden workers in the US or the systems.
    Sometimes they do put it on. You need to look at your bill and ask if you have questions.

Hint:
    If it is relatively fine dining, and in or near a big city or if it is on either coast, there is probably no gratuity included (unless it is a tourist trap).

Canadian Taxes

In Canada you will come across 2 different taxes added to virtually everything you buy.

The first is GST - Goods and Service Tax which is a Federal tax. Currently at 6%
    The second is PST - Provincial Sales Tax which is provincially administered and varies from province to province, some as high as 8 or 9% to Alberta which does not have PST. Interestingly enough the PST is calculated on the price + GST so you actually end up paying tax on tax.

For Europeans it is very similar to VAT except that it is not included in the list price of any item and always added after the fact. The reasoning being that you are constantly reminded how much of your money goes to pay for government services. Compared to the USA, Canadians pay considerably more tax but on average less than most Europeans.

The Fraser Institute publishes an annual Tax Freedom Day which calculates when the average Canadian starts working for themselves and not the government. This year it was June 28 which means until that date every singles penny earned went to one level of government or another in some form of taxation.

elephantspike
    Quote Originally Posted by wx40afp
    Now the Government in Australia,if they are re elected in October that is,wants to bring the USA system in of everyone earning the same hourly rate everyday,that is you work for a hourly pittance 7 days a week,no 7 weeks annual leave,no 2 weeks stress leave,no double time on Sundays etc.
    Wow! That's considered "liberal" in Oz?

In the USA now, if you take the position that Bush and all of his staff should be hanged, that is considered moderate.

I think. Of course I didn't take a scientific poll on this. I am just going by what I and my friends and co-workers and family think.

Forum's veteran
    Mount Calvary Baptist Church of the Redeemer
    Liked

Aunty,

$16,000 in the hand, Is that NZ dollars, what is that in UK. Just asking,curious.
    No it was in US dollars (he was a senior Harvard Prof.) and it was when the US$ was worth something too! (2000-2001). Funny thing was though he preferred doing interior design, and he was good at it too! He had a very nice home and he had done the interiors entirely himself, including putting the kitchen and bathrooms in. A very talented man, (gifted in many respects) and like so many of us, a complete fuck up as well.

PS, I think you will like the US, Kevin. It's nothing like the movies, or what Ceddie makes it out to be. They even speak a from of English, so how bad can it be?? :cheers:
    JESUS LOVES YOU, yes, even you nancies

Forum's veteran
    Mount Calvary Baptist Church of the Redeemer
    Liked
    You only have to look at S%P restaurant in Pattaya,they added a 15% service fee to my bill,i have never heard of this before.

Now the Government in Australia,if they are re elected in October that is,wants to bring the USA system in of everyone earning the same hourly rate everyday,that is you work for a hourly pittance 7 days a week,no 7 weeks annual leave,no 2 weeks stress leave,no double time on Sundays etc.

You will be working only for tips,but i bet some of you bastards will be voting Liberal again,wanting the punishment of Johnny Howard and his mate Bush back in,not me i will be voting Labor .
    I don't think you'll have any problems there, William. As far as I can see, John Howard's dog's tucker this election, sounds like he's even going to lose his own seat! Anyway how much do you normally tip in restrauants in Thailand Bill?
    JESUS LOVES YOU, yes, even you nancies

Well being the working class battler that i am,i can only afford to go to Burger King or Macca s (mcdonalds) and best of all you dont need to leave a tip.

Well im hoping our Aussie PM Johnny Howard will be kicked out next election but we have submissives bitches such as LONELYWOMBAT on here who will vote him back in again.
    The only thing i agree on with the Liberals is there policy to stop gay marriage coming in,and a halt to immigration,but their anti union policy lets them down.

Billy,

Don't you fancy being Mrs.wx40afp then???