List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thai boy gives Farang $10 tip....

elephantspike

Re: you are joking

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric

In America it is very much expected, I delight in not giving especially after crap service, and boy after living in Asia and staying at some of the nicest hotels here, is it bad service.
    Are you sure you want to treat people that badly who have access to your food (and your credit card) when you aren't looking?

American waiters in full-service restaurants are expected to be skilled professionals who can easily handle a large number of requests simultaneously and keep up to thirty people happy at a time. People are constantly coming and going. They need to be experts at multi-tasking. It also helps to have an extensive knowledge of world cuisine and oenology and special dietary needs. It also helps to have a good knowledge of basic psychology. A strong Sales background is a big plus, too.

The pay is $3 an hour, yet lots of very efficient, skilled, and educated people choose to do it.

Why? Because the money is good. Americans generally tip around 20%.

This is in your best interest that it works this way here, because, believe me, you do not want the lower echelons of this society (i.e. anyone who will work for minimum wage or less) to come anywhere near your food or credit cards.

Forum's veteran
    Mount Calvary Baptist Church of the Redeemer
    Liked

Re: you are joking

Quote Originally Posted by Elephantspike
    Americans generally tip around 20%.
    I thought it was 15% Elephantspike? (That's what I used to tip in Mass) or does it vary by State?

If anyone offered me $10 for my service, I'd gladly take it as a sign of their appreciation. To not do so would, in my view, be strictly low-class.
    JESUS LOVES YOU, yes, even you nancies

elephantspike
    In Massachusetts and New York, almost everyone tips 20% for good service in fine dining restaurants (I certainly do). There are some places in remote areas of the Deep South where 15% is still more customary in this situation and environment. Also if it is super-casual high volume (Like in a diner, wher the server just takes your order and drops off the food) then 15% is pretty typical even in The Northeast.

Also, I agree that it would be an insult to refuse a tip from a guest, even if you are a salaried $75,000 a year manager, especially if the tip is offered by a Thai guest.

Some hospitality companies in America do have policies that prohibit managers and other salaried personel from accepting tips, though.

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    In Massachusetts and New York, almost everyone tips 20% for good service in fine dining restaurants (I certainly do). There are some places in remote areas of the deep south where 15% is still more customary in this situation and environment. Also if it is super-casual high volume (Like in a diner, wher the server just takes your order and drops off the food) then 15% is pretty typical even in The Northeast.

Also, I agree that it would be an insult to refuse a tip from a guest, even if you are a salaried 75,000 a year manager, especially if the tip is offered by a Thai guest.

Some hospitality companies in America do have policies that prohibit managers and other salaried personel from accepting tips, though.
    Well I must have being a cheapskate then! lol But I never did/do get used to tipping it's totally foreign to me, even in Thailand. Yeah we have similar policies here as well. In some jobs taking any kind of a gratuity is simply not allowed, and trouble would follow if you did, but as tipping is not the norm in New Zealand (people are paid a full wage for their work here and therefore prices are higher) it's not expected by most workers either. But if you offer one it will be graciously accepted and received.

elephantspike
    Well, 15% isn't really considered a bad tip, it's just kind of a fair tip.

If it is much less than that, then a professional server here will wonder: Did I do something wrong? or; Have these people ever been out of their house before?

What ?

Waiters get $3.00 dollars an hour? Are you sure about that?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

If it is much less than that, then a professional server here will wonder: Did I do something wrong? or; Have these people ever been out of their house before?
    Well thanks for that. The next time I go to the States (when they stop fingerprinting visitors like common criminals) I'll up my tipping to 20%. I have a funny feeling when I was in LA last I was tipping 20%, but I can't really remember. I know my boss used to tip 20%, but then that old Queen lush had plenty, $16,000 a month - in the hand, so I didn't really take too much notice of what Madam Bob tipped. But she's retired to Palm Springs now, and spends her days molesting the pool boy!

Liked

But if you offer one it will be graciously accepted and rece

- Also if you are offered a tip - you know that the job you have done was truly appreciated - A good system for me.

elephantspike

Re: What ?

Quote Originally Posted by boogyman
    Waiters get $3.00 dollars an hour? Are you sure about that?
    Yes. I am absolutely certain. That is my occupation.

It really is all culturally relative, though. That is the point of this thread, I think.

Once in Udon Thani, I made the mistake of tipping 20% at a restaurant, and then had to deal with a long line of employees and even guests who excpected a tip from this cazy farang who was giving away 100 baht notes.

You really just need to read the guidebook before you go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunty

Well thanks for that. The next time I go to the States (when they stop fingerprinting visitors like common criminals) I'll up my tipping to 20%. I have a funny feeling when I was in LA last I was tipping 20%, but I can't really remember. I know my boss used to tip 20%, but then that old Queen lush had plenty, $16,000 a month - in the hand, so I didn't really take too much notice of what Madam Bob tipped. But she's retired to Palm Springs now, and spends her days molesting the pool boy!
    Aunty,

$16,000 in the hand, Is that NZ dollars, what is that in UK. Just asking,curious.

Why are people expected to do this in the US, why don't they just get a fair rate of pay and percentage of service charge???

Is there service charge in the US on top of the tips???

I went to Canada twice and there were funny taxes I recall, something like GST and some others.

Although, I loved the food, shopping especially, the Country, people, style etc etc. and cheap for Europeans!

I'm just talking myself into going back!