List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thai boy gives Farang $10 tip....

Thai boy gives Farang $10 tip....

I work in hospitality and although I'm usually not in a scenario where I would recieve tips from our guests, I was in just such a situation today. A young Thai man (probably 30 or so) proffered a $10 tip for services rendered (I think he may be homesick and he and I spoke in Thai and this seemed to delight him. He does prefer to use the word Kaa instead of khrap. (Gaydar is fully operational here.)
    My question is Would you accept a tip from a Thai boy probably 30 years your junior?
    I was torn between offending him by not accepting or risking the "face" thing.
    Just wondered what you guys think ?
    Tipping is generally not the custom in Australia as I'm sure many of you will know.

Smile, accept his tip say i'll use this to buy us a drink. I remember when a boy treated me to dinner and an evening at the bowling alley. I made sure he knew how much it meant to me that he thought enough of me to do this. He had a big smile on his face all evening and I went away with a whole new perspective on things.

you are joking

Hi,

You are joking me here, you're damn right I would accept it!

The hospitality job where it is accepted and offered, I don't care if he's 21 years old, the man could and probably was from a wealthy background and/or has been brought up in that kind of environment.

In Thailand, where they also have the "class" system, you may have insulted him by refusing, by implying you were on the same social level/scale.

Incidentally Guys, that brings in another point.

In Singapore, I was told not to, because it is not their way of life.

Thailand.No comment. If you don't know, you shouldn't be reading this board.

Comment on OZ, surprised me, I didn't know that it was not normal.

USA, I believe it is very expected.

Japan, I am told, it is considered RUDE.

Anyone can help me with any errors I have made with my assumptions????

By the way, you haven't told us what you did!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

what a dilemna for you aussieal

but I can assure you any money offered to me for any reason-I gratefully pocket with the speed of light.

However this eternal problem of different customs regarding "tipping" in other countries was solved by me many years ago as a frequent luncher-I always let someone else pick up the tab. Far easier.
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.

Re: what a dilemna for you aussieal

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchtime O'Booze
    but I can assure you any money offered to me for any reason-I gratefully pocket with the speed of light.

However this eternal problem of different customs regarding "tipping" in other countries was solved by me many years ago as a frequent luncher-I always let someone else pick up the tab. Far easier.

Lunchtime,

I'd never get away with that one, must be the company I keep!

Liked
    me either I almost always pay and when I don't you better believe I appreciate it.
    All the Best!

Wes

Nice one ..

Quote Originally Posted by aussieal
    I work in hospitality and although I'm usually not in a scenario where I would recieve tips from our guests, I was in just such a situation today. A young Thai man (probably 30 or so) proffered a $10 tip for services rendered (I think he may be homesick and he and I spoke in Thai and this seemed to delight him. He does prefer to use the word Kaa instead of khrap. (Gaydar is fully operational here.)
    My question is Would you accept a tip from a Thai boy probably 30 years your junior?
    I was torn between offending him by not accepting or risking the "face" thing.
    Just wondered what you guys think ?
    Tipping is generally not the custom in Australia as I'm sure many of you will know.

Without any question I would accept the nice gesture – even if you would try to spend it together (and probably more) afterwards.

A couple of years ago a substantially younger Thai guy invited me to stay with him at his room and at his expenses. I moved surely into his comfortable suite and we have had some splendid days together. He was well off and paid for all and everything. Money was just poring though his hands until I took some away and ensured than not more than 5000 TBT per day would have been spend. .. He likes the idea very much. We’ve had a wodnetime and raunchy time. Around Paradise complex this was a topic for some years. That a Thai boys moves into a foreigner’s accommodation was pretty common, but vice versa was unheard of.

Supervisor invited me to travel with him home and meet his family. They asked me to stay with him a couple of years ago and so I did. I’ve never regretted this step. He is a wonderful hard working young Isaan farmer. Well house and farm changed during the recent years but that’s for us and very good.

You can only spend - for good - what’s in your pockets. Therefore take all you can, but don’t be glued to it. Nothing lasts for ever …

accept it - no question.

The invite him for a date!

Re: you are joking

Quote Originally Posted by kquill
    Hi,

You are joking me here, you're damn right I would accept it!

The hospitality job where it is accepted and offered, I don't care if he's 21 years old, the man could and probably was from a wealthy background and/or has been brought up in that kind of environment.

In Thailand, where they also have the "class" system, you may have insulted him by refusing, by implying you were on the same social level/scale.

Incidentally Guys, that brings in another point.

In Singapore, I was told not to, because it is not their way of life.

Thailand.No comment. If you don't know, you shouldn't be reading this board.

Comment on OZ, surprised me, I didn't know that it was not normal.

USA, I believe it is very expected.

Japan, I am told, it is considered RUDE.

Anyone can help me with any errors I have made with my assumptions????

By the way, you haven't told us what you did!
    Yes in both Singapore and Japan as in Hong kong tipping is most definitely well received, but not by everyone. Badly paid workers will be the most receptive, petrol attendants, table staff and cleaners for example, will all, barring a few exceptions be delighted with a tip for services rendered.
    This is news to me about Australia as well, I seem to remember being trawled by house keeping at my hotel for a tip. And no waiter has ever turned it down in any restaurant that I have ever eaten in Australia?

In America it is very much expected, I delight in not giving especially after crap service, and boy after living in Asia and staying at some of the nicest hotels here, is it bad service.

Re: Thai boy gives Farang $10 tip....

Quote Originally Posted by aussieal
    Would you accept a tip from a Thai boy probably 30 years your junior?
    Are you mad? It's my dream to become a kept man by a stable of gerontophile Thai boys. The question is better expressed as "Why would you not accept a tip from a Thai boy 30+ years your junior?"