Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vast ancient settlement found at Angkor Wat

Liked

Handsome is better for temple-visiting ...

Quote Originally Posted by ttom
    " ... I hope this will have as side effect the long needed impact for the beautiful historical Khmer sides in Buri Ram, Si Sakhet and Surin. This parts of Thailand are really beautiful. All you need is time, patience and senses for the spectacular beauty of rural Thailand. With unhandsome companion and a good book you cannot be that wrong ... "
    Agree very much that the Khymer (and Hindu) influenced architecture at Isaan sites such as Prasat Phanom Rung, Phra Whihan, Prasat Muang Tam and Phi Mai should be preserved ~ and gently restored ~ with rigour and visited without question.

Of the four mentioned, Phra Whihan is in the worst condition . . . the other three are rather impressive in the care taken care of them. I assume Whihan loses because of it's position, straddling the Thai/Cambodian border as it does. In fact, the main temple area is fully within Cambodia and probably loses out greatly in comparison to the much larger and better known Angkor Wat in receiving funding from a very poor country.

One point about visiting these sites: try your best to go in rainy season, or at least during the wetter months when it's green and lush and much more beautiful. During the December-April dry season the Isaan countryside goes more to brown and dusty red, and it's far less pleasant trudging up and down and through those rocky and hillside temples.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I'm very disappointed in this thread...

reading the title : "Vast ancient settlement found at Angkor Wat "

I thought someone had finally located The Colonel who mysteriously vanished from this forum.
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.