Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Appropriate Apparel

Dick's analysis and observations are spot on. One has to bear in mind that 'face' is all important in Thailand (and other Asian countries) and that includes how you dress as well your deportment and how you act in your contacts with other people, particularly those who might be considered to be of 'lower' status.

Sorry.,. if its 100 F**ing Degrees in Bangkok during the day.. I'm going to wear shorts. Nice ones.. but shorts (and by that, I mean nice, longer shorts (thai style), not cheap K-mart doubleknit shorts or Cargo pants designed for a 16 year old. And No Jeans at night? Come on, I think this depends on your age and your body shape. If you are 80 or seriously overweight, better stick to your "Slacks", But if your in shape and hanging out with boys half your age.. I see nothing wrong with wearing a nice pair of jeans to the bars or to dance at DJ. Maybe I underdress, but I'm on a vacation. I"m not going to dress like I'm on the way to the Office. I see guy sitting at places like Telephone bar and are WAY overdressed in my opinion.

Be comfortable

I have seen some people who dress in long pants, nice long sleeve starched shirt, Oxford shoes at some of the beer bars. They have on a gold watch and neck chains and bracelet. It is 35C and humidity is 94% and they look like a boiled hot dog ready to split open. I obviously don't get it. Why not just dress in clean fresh clothes that are cool and comfortable? I do not intend to offend anyone by not dressing up, but I am here to relax and be comfortable.

I think if you are polite, not loud, clean, tip appropriately and comfortable with yourself, you will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by JakeNasty
    I see nothing wrong with wearing a nice pair of jeans
    There's no such thing as 'a nice pair of jeans'. They are the scruffiest and ugliest form of apparel ever to have been invented - but, of course, they did originate in America so that is only to be expected. :cheers:

Re: Be comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by Pattaya Male
    I have seen some people who dress in long pants, nice long sleeve starched shirt, Oxford shoes at some of the beer bars. They have on a gold watch and neck chains and bracelet. It is 35C and humidity is 94% and they look like a boiled hot dog ready to split open. I obviously don't get it. Why not just dress in clean fresh clothes that are cool and comfortable? I do not intend to offend anyone by not dressing up, but I am here to relax and be comfortable.

I think if you are polite, not loud, clean, tip appropriately and comfortable with yourself, you will be fine
    Pattayamale,

I think that is spot on for me!

Smiles, whats with the no jeans idea??? I thought you were quite up to date with your thinking and ideas.

Dd you once have a bad experience with jeans?? They can be a quite nice and very gay friendly set!!!!

Nothing worse than a 65 year old walking around Boystown in a thong or someone overdressed showing his Mark Spitz gold medals or carrying pictures of his House and car to show everyone

You can wear ...

... bright yellow hotpants and a matching pink bag - "they don't care" as long as you pay the bill!

Liked

So, the vote is split on jeans

I think. I wear jeans because the alternative for me is khaki wash trousers. I have never seen a dry cleaners in Jomtien where I hang out most of the time. For that matter I haven't seen one in Pattaya either. So, if I'm there for a month, how do I keep looking nice? And, wearing a nice "starched" shirt seems unnecessary to me also. I haven't worn a starched shirt since I retired years ago.

So, I guess it's jeans most evenings and maybe I'll 'dress up' and wear khakis part time.

Re: Be comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by kquill
    Nothing worse than a 65 year old walking around Boystown in a thong or someone overdressed showing his Mark Spitz gold medals or carrying pictures of his House and car to show everyone
    I think you would be hard-pressed to find any farang looking younger than 65 walking/hobbling around Pattaya. And the photos are more likely to be of his recent prostrate/kidney/heart bypass operation or his colostomy bag :bounce:

Shorts and socks? Yep it works.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeNasty
    Sorry.,. if its 100 F**ing Degrees in Bangkok during the day.. I'm going to wear shorts. Nice ones.. but shorts (and by that, I mean nice, longer shorts (thai style), not cheap K-mart doubleknit shorts or Cargo pants designed for a 16 year old. And No Jeans at night? Come on, I think this depends on your age and your body shape. If you are 80 or seriously overweight, better stick to your "Slacks", But if your in shape and hanging out with boys half your age.. I see nothing wrong with wearing a nice pair of jeans to the bars or to dance at DJ. Maybe I underdress, but I'm on a vacation. I"m not going to dress like I'm on the way to the Office. I see guy sitting at places like Telephone bar and are WAY overdressed in my opinion.
    I fully agree with this, though I prefer boys my own age or older. If you've got the legs flaunt them in style. Europeans have been doing this ever since we discovered stealing another country was a sweaty business.
    Looking decent in shorts, you do need the legs, but its not difficult not to look like a middle aged German tourist. I wear shorts and leather sandals and a white collar shirt when at my hotel, I treat it as home. In the evening I will shower and change into something more formal for dinner depending where I will eat, if its casual I will wear shorts if its the terrace longs. When I go out I dress for where ever I am going. If its going to be a hot and sweaty day I wont hesitate to wear shorts and a nice pair of boots or sandals, depending on where I will be.

One thing that did shock me was a British tourist around the pool with his six year old daughter. He pulled off her swim suite right up over her head right on the edge of the pool, leaving her standing there stark naked facing the entire staff while he rummaged around for some dry clothes for her. It was nasty. Ten year olds have quite a large pussy already, even she was a bit shocked to be so suddenly exposed. The pool attendants looked like they had just received a slap in the face. Yes a babe in arms, but that was a hideous display of wanton disrespect and disregard for the country he was in. He was in black bicycle shorts, his balls tightly wedged to the side under his paunch, I assume some kind of English mid-life crisis.

Its cheap tickets and air-miles that are to blame.

Liked

Sawatdee fashion police

The Taliban have their fashion police and so does Iran, both trying to tell everyone what is acceptable dress. Now, unfortunately, we seem to have the same on Sawatadee forum. Whatever happened to individual personnal freedom. Wear what you feel comfortable in, who gives a shit what other people think. (Evidently a lot of members here) Thais prefer someone with a good heart than a starched shirt. You can still be the biggest jerk in the world and a starched shirt and long pants won't fix it.
    Life is sexually transmitted and terminal.