Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting to Siem Reap from Thailand

Liked
    In 2008 Bangkok Airways loses its monopoly and the budget airlines will be flying into Seam Reap from Thailand at at a more reasonable price. Probably 1/2 the price of BKk Air...
    Being gay can be such a pain in the ass

DELETED

Liked

bus trips from hell

I have never been on a bus in Cambodia but was pretty much cured of any further curiosity having taken the bus from Louangphrabang to Vientiane. It was a very interesting experience that I will not repeat. It was very reasonable, we took the first class bus, there were three buses, first, second and third. All leave about the same time.

I ate a very light breakfast and took a dramine. The bus seemed nice, then this cute Lao boy passed out these little plastic bags with a grin and no comment. Latter it became clear these were vomit bags. The distance did not look very long on the map and I could not figure how this trip would take 10 to 12 hours.

The first hour was OK but then we it the mountains. Hair-pin curves, pot holes and steep hills. The bus just barley made some of the hills and then the curves and bouncing and bouncing. I kept my breakfast down but the lady behind me began upchucking and that started a chain reaction until the bus had a ripe ode de vomit. The groans of farangs rang out as we transversed this very beautiful countryside. The views were astounding.

We stopped for lunch and to empty the vomit bags. Few ate anything.

We left at 0730 and got in just at dusk. I was very happy to have had the experience and see rural Lao from the bus but would not take the trip again if my life depended on it yet I recommend taking it one time if you have a strong stomach.
    E Dok Tong

Overland by train and bus

Just hopping on an express bus racing to Siam Reap at a bargain price is not advisable at all.

If you allow yourself some time and split the tour in two or three parts, it’s a very interesting jorney to do. And you will learn a lot about down to earth Thailand and Cambodia.

I have done this alone and with friends a few times back and forth. It always worked out nicely.

From Sieam Reap to Phnom Phen the boat is a very good and comfortable option but not the still bumpy road.

Thanks for the information guys, will now consider adding PP to the tour. Decided that due to time I'll be flying where possible although may take the bus from PP to REP.
    One of you mentioned a flight from Chiang Mai to REP but can't find which airline flys this route.

cheers
    Brian

oopsie!

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedBrian
    ....One of you mentioned a flight from Chiang Mai to REP but can't find which airline flys this route.

cheers
    Brian
    Shot off my mouth I guess.
    You're right. You can't go direct but must make a stopover in Bangkok.

Purple Dragon used to have an overnight trip from PP to SR by private car. Don't know if they still do since the link on their website for that tour is broken.

Bangkokairways are now, from the end of the month, flying from Chiang Mai to Siem Reap at a cost of about 11,000 bht [for some reason they are not flying Siem Reap to CM]

looking at prices in Feb the cost from Bkk - CM -SR - BKK is approx 18-19,000 bht
    bkk-sr-bkk approx 11,600 bht but would still need a return flight bkk to cm 5,500 bht = 17,000 bht

At the moment there is no information as to whether the cm-sr route is included or excluded from the discovery pass.

Liked
    Bangkok Airways have always been in the rip off business, just look at the fares to Samui. (Fly to Surat Thani and take the coach from there to the island) When Siem Reap opens up to budget airlines that will be a great improvement.

Meanwhile Lao Airlines flies daily from Vientiane to Siem Reap by way of Pakse. Still expensive at $130, and $226 if you add Chiang Mai to Vientiane; you also need an overnight in Vientiane.

did you do it?

I plan on going from Chaing mai to Siem Riep, down to Pursat and then down to Pnom Phen and there to BKK. Did anyone find out if there ae direct flights to Siem Reip from CM? . It will be bus to Poipet i think.

Liked
    Last thing I heared is that the CM - SR flight has been cancelled. So you might have to go back to BKK.

Consider going to Phnom Penh, flying Air Asia from BKK is very cheap, and to get to SR it is ony a 5 hours bus ride.