Special Cabaret Show 10pm
    Free welcome drink with this flyer
    150 baht buffet from 8pm
    Prize Raffle\
    A caharity fund raising event for the Camillan Childern's Centre

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Memories

I'm glad to see Memories re-opening, although not quite sure where the caberet is going to be held...unless the place has expanded.

Now just what we need another noise bar. What happen to the former owners. They were always great to sit and talk too. Even more important where will this forum now have in annual party. That was always a great function to attend. Will miss the old place and miss meeting new friends there. Will have to find a new place in October when I arrive for my annual visit

Yes, seabee, I totally agree with you. The things that made Memories so successful were the great boys Oud hired, Oud's personality, and the friendly feeling that Jack and Ralph brought to the bar. It was a place for good conversation, meeting new/old friends and enjoying the great boys that worked there. A cabaret and the attending noise (even for one night) will send me running. Most of the guys that come to Thailand are there to enjoy good company and meet great boys, not to attend another poorly done show...or even a well done show. The last time I was in Sunee Memories was closed and I started stopping in at the "Come In Bar" and the "Corner Bar"; I really enjoyed my time in both of those bars. I do hope that the new owner of Memories will continue the most successful business model that Oud had in place. I understand that any new owner will want to put his mark on the bar, but...be careful..."If it ain't broken don't fix it."

Quote Originally Posted by Soi 10 Tom
    "If it ain't broken don't fix it."
    I remember using those self-same words to the Wright brothers at Kitty Hawk

Changes and party

There was a very good turnout for the re-opening. They now have an air con part of the bar. The seating has changed from the sofa and padded chairs to small tables and chairs. It gives a very different feel in my opinion. Not as relaxing. One of the things I hope the new owner continues is the practice that Jack, Ralph and Oud did of introducing the different guests to each other. I have met many expats there that way whom I would probably not have met if it hadn't been for this welcoming bar.

They had a special show of farang drag and a very good farang singer who walked thru the crowd. Then they put a box stage in the middle of the bar for the Thai entertainers. I did not stay for that part. Many others left at that time also.

Good luck to the new owner.

Liked

Good Luck to the new Memories owners....

Good Luck to the new owners of Memories...

I stopped by to see the new Memories on its opening Friday night ...

The inside air conditioned area was full of Expats and their Thai friends...
    and smoking was allowed inside...(sadly) in my opinion...
    as there is ample area outside in front for smokers...

If management wished to have a smoking and non-smoking sections...
    they could have easily made it possible :-) ...but they have not!

Met up with Oud and Ralph...such wonderful friends and greeted warmly as usual by both...
    I guess Jack was at home taking care of the dog :-)

Met one of the new owners Michael --- and his partner is Jay.

Four of the prior Thai Staff have returned following the 2 month closure and reopening of the new Memories.

As stated...many chairs and small bar like tables are available inside and in front...comfortable pads in the chairs.
    The music from the TV/DVD/VCD was a little too loud in the front seating area...but that can be easily toned down.

A buffet of foods were available to enjoy....not sure if they were complimentary or not
    as I had read on this forum that there would be a charge of 150 baht for the buffet and a free drink ticket included - or some such thing.

I arrived at about 7:30pm and the real crowd arrived afterwards from 8:00pm on....
    I ordered my usual diet coke and was given a checkbin for 50m baht.

Others as they arrived were given complimentary drink tickets and buffet ticket..
    I guess they were part of a private party to celebrate the reopening of Memories...

I left the private party at about 9:30pm...as the food buffet was being served...
    not having any drink or food tickets given to me ....
    I did not wish to 'crash the party"...

And as I left, I wished Thai Waiter Maen (pronounced "Man") the best and
    gave him my two raffle tickets for good luck....hoping he may win something.

So much for Memories...as for the Cabaret Show...did not see...but as Soi10Tom aptly put it...
    if it ain't broke - why fix it!

I would not (my personal opinion) be interested in another Drag Queen Cabaret Show - especially at Memories!

My sentiments exactly - the prior Memories was successful because it cared for people..
    and showed their welcoming spirit each time you entered Memories...by Oud, Ralph and Jack and all the Thai Staff :-)

Hopefully, Michael and Jay can continue this once great bar - Memories :-)
    They have BIG SHOES to fill in doing so.....

Good Luck!

TravelerJim
    Tj

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    TJ
    The flyer handed out everywhere announcing the opening offered a free drink but stated you
    needed the flyer to get the free drink.
    I guess you didn't have the flyer with you and they took
    it literally.
    Too bad about the indoor smoking and maybe someone will get the balls to put the
    smokers in the outside area to spread their second hand smoke in the open air.
    It is going to be different and the old Memories was getting tired. I always enjoyed Oud but he
    got on some peoples nerves as he was always "on". And Jack and Ralph were sleep walking at the end.

It seemed to collect some of the odds and ends of the mostly American farangs and many regulars
    were to be avoided unless you had insomnia problems.
    The best case was the clueless old man who came many times a week and after many months,
    whispered to one of the owners that there seemed to be some people in the bar of the other persuasion.

This old fart always brought his Thai lady and had no idea that everyone except him and his lady, was gay and
    this went on for many months. It takes all kinds... Jack and Ralph could write a book.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Memories

I'll be anxious to visit the new Memories, although with a little sadness in my heart and a lump in my throat.

The majic that made the old Memories what it was can't be duplicated...IMO. The personalities of Oud, Jack & Ralph are what made Memories such a wonderful place to spend time. Fortunately, we're still friends and at least that part of my Memories won't go away.

mai pen rai

DELETED