Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: That Thai photo "pose"...

Forum's veteran
    Liked

That Thai photo "pose"...

One of many things I've gotten a kick out of on photo walks is the common "pose" so many Thai use when a camera is pointed their way: the "framing" of the face with the thumb and forefinger.

The best translation I've been able to come up with from friends there is that it's a somewhat jocular way or saying "oh, aren't I cute??" I've taken that to also mean "hey, I'm just picture perfect - and here's the frame!"

Does anyone else have a different "translation"?

This guy with the machete on his shoulder was wading in canal with two other younger friends. I was trying to figure out what they were "hunting" when they spotted me and started posing.

Here's another image of them, with a different one doing the "framing" thing:

But they do it in go gos when there is no camera.

Liked

photo pose

I've photographed the same hundreds/thousands of times (intermixed with the old "V" for victory sign) and I'm not sure if it has any meaning other than "look at me." Typically, in my experience, using it is mildly associated with being a bit of a showoff or smart aleck. But I've seen kids as young as 3 use it too (mimicking their older siblings).

Edit....to see if I can add a couple of photos from April (Songkran) in Chiangmai:

A Thai fried of mine, who I've known for about 5 years, says the pose was made popular by a Thai model. I'll ask him for more details the next time we talk. It is cute, isn't it?

Liked
    Several years ago I was told the thumb and finger forms the English letter L which represents the word "Law"which is a transliteration of the this word meaning "Handsome".

I was told it was lub law sorry not sure of the spelling that meant very handsome

taken 2 weeks ago - its still common lol

Forum's veteran
    Mount Calvary Baptist Church of the Redeemer
    Liked
    This is what I really like to see on this forum, and it's when the forum is at its best. People posting their pics' of Thailand.

They don't have to be 'naughty' pictures to still be great shots of cute Thai guys, or to capture the joy of hoildays in Thailand and its people. Thanks bao-bao for starting this thread!
    JESUS LOVES YOU, yes, even you nancies

Liked

From my favorite translation site www.thai2english.com

หล่อ
    # lòr good-looking ; handsome
    # cast ; mold
    รูปหล่อ
    # rôop lòr handsome ; gorgeous ; good-looking ; attractive
    # be handsome ; be gorgeous ; be good-looking ; be dishy ; be elegant ; be charming ; be attractive
    # bronze statue ;