Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single-Accomodation

Single-Accomodation

Hey! I will be in Bangkok for 2 weeks and had always problems to find accomodation for SINGLE-travellers in Asia, because in most hotels I had to pay the price for the double room. Are there single rates available in general, especially in Gay hotels? Maybe someone can help, thx!

Re: Single-Accomodation

Quote Originally Posted by packback
    Hey! I will be in Bangkok for 2 weeks and had always problems to find accomodation for SINGLE-travellers in Asia, because in most hotels I had to pay the price for the double room. Are there single rates available in general, especially in Gay hotels? Maybe someone can help, thx!
    I have never come across a hotel in Thailand that has 'single rates' or seperate rates for 'single' and 'double rooms'

You normally pay for the room - not 'per person'. Even small basic rooms (usually described as 'standard' rooms) have at least a small (queen-size) double bed or two twin single beds.

Try La Residence

La Residence, on Suriwong Road, has single rooms.
    http://www.laresidencebangkok.com/index.htm
    It's a gay-friendly hotel.

I used to stay there till they raised the prices of the double rooms. It was a lovely, well-maintained boutique hotel near enough to the main tourist spots. I've never stayed in a single room; just know that they have them.

Standard rooms are usually "single"

Quote Originally Posted by buaseng
    I have never come across a hotel in Thailand that has 'single rates' or seperate rates for 'single' and 'double rooms'

You normally pay for the room - not 'per person'. Even small basic rooms (usually described as 'standard' rooms) have at least a small (queen-size) double bed or two twin single beds.
    InThailand commonly rates for accommodation are set per room.

Some hotels or guest houses are trying to sell something extra with it, usually breakfast, sometimes half board or free (airport) transfers and therefore accepting only one two or more persons per room in order to squeeze the maximum out of guest, especially around x-mas, New Year or popular events. Pricing per head look less expensive on listings.

Have a look at www.asiarooms.com and you will find plenty of “room only” offers.

If there are explicitly designated single rooms, please make sure that there are not unexpected disadvantages like no window, or location next to noisy elevator or so.

You think he's looking for a reverse joiner's fee? Like, he gets a cheaper rate if he doesn't bring a garbage pail kid home to sleep with?

What's a "garbage pail kid"?

and recommendation of cheap but decent hotels in the silom area, which are NOT the typical gay hotels? and where it is free to bring someone for overnight?

when bringing a boy from a gogo-bar, is it common to give him 500-2000 bhat for the whole night or just for like 1 or 2 hours...

when bringing a boy from a gogo-bar, is it common to give him 500-2000 bhat for the whole night or just for like 1 or 2 hours...
    I hope that was meant to read 1500-2000! Try giving a gogo bar boy 500 Baht for a whole night and you are likely to get a knife in you or be shot!!. In Bangkok even 500 Baht for 1 or 2 hours is unlikely to impress any bar boy.

Without wishing to start (another) argument about short time and overnight rates, I suggest that, certainly in Bangkok, the minimum going and acceptable rates are short time 1000 Baht and overnight 2000 Baht.

Many other farangs (cheapskates) will argue with these figures but based on talking to other non-penny-pinchng farangs those figures seem to be the average for Bangkok.

If there are explicitly designated single rooms, please make sure that there are not unexpected disadvantages like no window, or location next to noisy elevator or so.
    Just to say, that when I have found single rooms offered, something of that ilk was the case.

Or equipped with one single bed and no window.

Seriously, though, most hotel rooms are the same price whether there is one person or two.