Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Are you deaf ?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Are you deaf ?

Being a social chap, I meet a great number of new farangs and have found several are deaf or hard of hearing.
    It may be pride or something I don't get, but why don't these guys let you know they can't hear you.
    They come across as rude as they don't respond to what you say and just run at the mouth with unrelated stuff
    which makes no logical sense in the conversation.

Well, it happened again last nite in Sunee and a nice man started a conversation and told me the story of his
    life, which I tried to steer off of, as it was beyond boring but he just kept going.
    He didn't answer my questions but just ran at the mouth and I couldn't wait to flee.
    I heard later he was hard of hearing but too proud or something to tell people.

Another guy is just too cheap to buy a new hearing aid and I have learned to just get up and leave, when he starts
    talking. Sometimes, he seems to hear and and sometimes not but I only learned of his hearing problems from another
    farang.
    As we age, many of us have severe hearing and vision difficulties and it would really help if those difficulties were
    revealed when people meet and save some misunderstanding and appearances of rudeness.
    Are you deaf? :cat:

Huh? Pardon me. What did you just say?

Im selectively deaf,

if BS talks about money being one example.

u wat u wat uwat ehhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh urhhhhhhhhhhhhh heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy im not deaf JUST DEATH :albino:

Re: Are you deaf ?

Quote Originally Posted by catawampuscat
    They come across as rude as they don't respond to what you say and just run at the mouth with unrelated stuff which makes no logical sense in the conversation.
    My, Pussy, you just can't escape this LMTU complex, can you?

Re: Are you deaf ?

Quote Originally Posted by catawampuscat
    Well, it happened again last nite in Sunee and a nice man started a conversation and told me the story of his life, which I tried to steer off of, as it was beyond boring but he just kept going.
    He didn't answer my questions but just ran at the mouth and I couldn't wait to flee.
    I heard later he was hard of hearing but too proud or something to tell people.
    Could also be he was just a BORE. Even a person hard of hearing (IF he was polite and genuinely trying to engage someone in conversation) would notice someone is trying to say something and stop talking. Unfortunately I've noticed some old poops (and a few young ones) just want to hold court and expect everyone around to be in rapt attention to their every word.

Liked
    Best solution is to not hang around old people unless they're gonna put you in their will.

Dboy

I've lost my hearing in a 20% range of the total spectrum of audible frequencies. Depending on the background noise, I sometimes find it difficult to hear conversations, and if leaning in toward the source doesn't work, I usually do tell the person I'm trying to hear that I have a hearing loss. I have never had an adverse reaction from the speaker, so to all of you fellow hearing-impaired folks, don't be ashamed!

One sign that someone is hearing impaired, and may not know it (many people don't realize it!) is that they speak louder than normal. If you see an older couple and they tend to scream at each other in even civil conversation, most likely at least one of them is hearing impaired. The impaired one will speak louder not knowing s/he's shouting, and the other will speak louder in order to be heard.

Quote Originally Posted by bkk gwm
    One sign that someone is hearing impaired, and may not know it (many people don't realize it!) is that they speak louder than normal.
    So I guess 100% of Hong Kong's population is hearing impaired.

The best defense ...

... against the talkative passenger in the next seat is to say "I'm completely deaf in that ear. Sorry". (Other responses I find helpful include "I'm frightfully sorry, I don't speak English". That old favourite "Sod off" still has its uses)