List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Check-in to check-out,you're the boss!

Check-in to check-out,you're the boss!

Guys,

The thread on the go go bar has spurred me on a little bit.

I, am most certainly not short of ideas in the Hospitality Industry. However, there are vast differences in ages, Nationalities and opinions on this board.

I really am interested in knowing, from a customer point of view, What readers think is lacking and/or could be improved on in Service, Accommodation, Entertainment, anything.

What could be added to the Gay Life of Pattaya that would make it a dream holiday, bearing in mind, now you are the Boss.

What changes would you implement remembering customer service against profit margins, you are running a business, after all!

What changes/additions/improvements should be made??

Please try to be realistic remembering Pattaya prices and what can be done, let's face it, for all the whining, it is not Europe prices here!

This, if people respond positively could be a good thread, You never know someone might even do it!

We are in Y2K now, a lot of ideas operators had, maybe dated now,or are they?

Re: Check-in to check-out,you're the boss!

Quote Originally Posted by kquill
    What changes would you implement remembering customer service against profit margins, you are running a business, after all!
    This isn't a simple trade-off - increasing customer service may increase turnover and therefore increase profits, if handled right. Increased customer service only decreases profits if the number of customers and the amount they spend remain the same, while the cost of the service increases

Customers mostly complain about pushy mamasans and/or boys trying to get the customer to off a boy or/and buy a drink. Changing this attitude may increase the customer satisfaction but reduce the spend; after all, it's the mamasan's job to get the customer to part with their money, preferably as much as possible. One thing that I've thought about is the length of shows. While the show is on, customers aren't spending money. Given that the "continuity" of most shows is pretty dreadful, while the waiters clean up the mess made by candle dripping etc. on the stage, maybe the shows should be broken up, and more thought given to a couple of acts, lights on, clean up, sell drinks (10 minutes max, otherwise you'll lose the customers), repeat. As to the pushy mamasans ...

Forum's veteran
    Liked

don't change a thing !!!

Thailand is great just the way it is..with all it's faults. :blob5:

All I can say is make the most of it while it lasts as nothing lasts forever ( and looking in the mirror that's certainly true about me)

I disagree W840 "I would prefer "sex shows" and i am serious on that"..nothing is more boring than those sex shows with those fake dildos stuck over their dicks and the so-called fucking in a swing rubbish..no I lie..the dreaded shower show is the pits !!!!

Leave Pattaya just as it is but ban shower shows !!! uke:
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.

Guys,

I'm staying on this as so far we are only covering the go go bars.

We haven't really got into the rest of the thread, however, I think now, better I leave you to comment and do my best to come in and answer everyone , the best I can, and cover as much as possible, in as little posts as necessary.

It will go better I think, than hogging the board for every post, and allowing also, other opinions to flow through.

There is a purpose to this, which I'll happily disclose later. Something I forgot in the original post, where is your preferred location for the venue to be ?? Jomtien, Soi Day/ Night, Pattayaland Soi's , some other area????

I would suggest a flat fee night. Charge 400- 500 baht for all the tap beer you can drink on nights that are typically slow. Many people will off more boys after a pitcher of beer. I think this would improve profits from off fees and instead of customers just buying one drink, they actually would spend more money. Yes the consumption of beer and the cost may be higher but this would be offset by volume of customers

How to improve things!

I guess it is up to the bar owners and what they can afford.

Shows definitely drag (so to speak) in the punters, but they have to be updated regularly. A common complaint from regulars is how Throb/Splash etc churns out the same routines and puts off Pattaya residents from going again and again. Even Thai friends I have taken to Throb say 'Same same show, no good'.

As well as varying the show, a 'must' is a little bit of 'sexy show'. May not be full on sex, but a flash of something to excite and titilate never did any harm.

More outside seating with aircon fans. Some bars have outside seating some don't. Panorama has it about right with wide open doors with views of the soi.

Pool bars (not swimming), I only know of Panorama in Boystown which has a pool table. This gets people coming in if prominently placed and is a way to mix with other Farang and take on the local Thai (pool) hustler.

As far as I know I don't think there is a Karaoke bar in Boystown. Do you think some of the gogo bars could switch over to karaoke bars from 1.00am when the lads have to get off the stage? Or is there room for one of the lady bars to be taken over by a gay karaoke bar?

I also think there is room for a laptop dance club in Boystown. Similar to Krazy Dragon in Sunee but perhaps actual lap dancing rather than studs stood way up above you on the glass tables.

I am not sure what can be done for Day Night Plaza, it does seem like a little bit of a ghost town. Maybe a complex approach with gogo, karaoke, pool, stage shows all under one roof? Sunee seemed (last time I went) to be holding it's own. I do like the 'street' feel of Sunee with the open air cafe's/bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattaya Male
    I would suggest a flat fee night. Charge 400- 500 baht for all the tap beer you can drink on nights that are typically slow. Many people will off more boys after a pitcher of beer. I think this would improve profits from off fees and instead of customers just buying one drink, they actually would spend more money. Yes the consumption of beer and the cost may be higher but this would be offset by volume of customers
    I think thats a great idea. But it should be either beer or well drinks. And the punters would stay in one place. If that place was chock full of candy, a sure winner! Great idea!

THE BOYS

Obviously, the one way to ensure a bars success is to have a never ending supply of handsome boys of all types. It's so obvious that it must be incredibly difficult to achieve and even more so to maintain with farangs taking the boys off to be boyfriends.

All the rest is make-weight get gorgeous boys dancing in a pig pen ( or public lavatory ) and the punters will pour in. Some bars manage to achieve this short time and some over quite a period. For many years Boyz Boyz Boyz seemed to have the pick of the crop and still maintains a large number of guys. Funny Boys 2 when it opened had a stunning collection of new boys and was instantly packed. Wild West seems to have had some nice guys and innovative shows which has done the trick and packs them in. Dream Boys in Bangkok is only a shadow of what it was but still one of the best bars in the city. At it's peak every guy there could have a job modeling Versace. Future Boys Bangkok used to keep a large stable 150+ on a Saturday night they could not cram on the stage and the variety and quality was outstanding and before that Blue Star did the same.

Maybe a permanent recruiting Officer touring Isaan and the North? Maybe take care the boys better with conditions and income.

DRINK PRICES

Wild West got away with it by raising the drink prices to 150 a year or so back. The other top bars seem to have crept up to that level without doing anything. I am never quite sure what the prices are as I tend to drink Black Label and some places charge extra for that. Those places often charged less for soft drinks as well.

I do understand the operational difficulties with charging differing prices for drinks, inside/outside/show time but it is not unsurmountable. People seem to be oversensitive on the topic of drink prices. I would favour modest drink charges soft / pouring / premium with a cover charge on the first drink, maybe from 9.30 onwards. This should encourage more drinking in the bars and hopefully would at the very least break even on current trading. It would also solve the problem of people drinking outside and then wanting to bring their drink into the bar.

BAR FACILITIES

I am not sure that the gentrification of the bars is essential. The sleaze pit that was known as Twilight Bar rarely lacked for customers. What you need is not to have things that will drive the customers away after they arrive. Prime examples would be overloud music, inadequate air conditioning / air filtering making the atmosphere full of cigarette and cigar smoke ( I would ban cigars now. It looks as if the Government may ban cigarettes soon ) Strobes, lasers and spotlights in your eyes upset some.

Seating should be reasonably comfortable - I'm thinking of Crystal Bar's seats with no leg room and Jupiter 2002's stainless steel benches curved the wrong way to receive the bum.

BOYS DANCING AND SHOWS

The boys should rotate reasonably quickly - Dream Boys Bangkok does it best. There they zig zag across the "in the round" stage. The boys should be made to 'dance' in some fashion as the girls do in the girl go-go bars that I have been to. Crystal manage it - the boys snake dance and they can all do that after a fashion and they can all dance up a storm in a disco.

Shows are very individual. Many people tell me that they don't like shows and they don't like katoes lip syncing but the bars that put on the shows get more customers and the ones that put on raunchy or sex shows get busiest of all.

Has LMTU said all this before? I don't understand how places make much profit in Thailand - does Babylon.

Liked

Here's my shot

What I think is missing is a totally different style of bar - a quiet, relaxing, joint more in the style of the SOHO bar in Chiangmai. I've always felt that if SOHO was by the night market bars, it would do a booming business.

First, tone down the music. Maybe the boys could be the waiters (although it'd be funny if all the hired help got offed and left you tending everything, Kevin! hehe). How about a few tables and a few sofas? How about normal lighting....maybe even some lamps!

Maybe I'm wrong but I think there's a significant contigent that are not out to off anybody but would like a nice, somewhat quiet, place to drink, ogle a bit, and maybe have a few snacks/appetizers. Currently, where the heck can friends (or falangs with their boyfriends) go to just have a few drinks and chat (while hearing each other)? I know a restaurant would qualify but one hardly goes there late at night.

Or maybe even a gay sports bar with several large-screened televisions?

I suppose either of these ideas would merit losing one's fortune...hehe.

A variation on the set price all you can drink idea. How about the same, say 500 set fee, you can drink all the beer or well drinks you want, you can ask any boy you want to sit with you and they get to drink also including (you still must tip them for their time, etc.). Now don't you think that would massively increase offs? I do.