dtm71 on Thorntree Lonely Planet

Hi all
Yesterday i was walking along haveing a smoke, when a policeman came up behind, me put his hand on my shoulder turned me around and walked me behind a large concrete column out of view, where another policeman sat at a desk, i was told to sit down next to him, then the first one sat on the other side of me. I was told i was smoking in a none smokeing area, littering and giving people passive smoke (this coming from a man with a packet of smokes on his desk), I protested as there our no signes and pointed to other people smoking, He got loud and said you pay me 2000 baht unofficial or he lock me up for 3 sleeps, i said yes! Asking him what i should now do with my smoke, the first policeman took it off me and smoked it and they both had a big laugh and i joined in! I new i was had and $80 Australian is not a big deal, but did i do the right thing? So many thoughts raced through my mind at the time, should i asked for the tourist police? should i protest more? should i get another tourist to witness it? and so on. The moral of the storey GIVE UP SMOKING.

dtm71 on Thorntree Lonely Planet