Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruise ships at Phuket

Liked

Cruise ships at Phuket

Rrecently in a travel article, there was a photo of several cruise ships anchored off Phuket.

I am interested in learning more

Has anybody tried these cruises and it is possible to do a round trip, returning to Phuket?

What is the best time weatherwise to take one of these cruises.

I was planning to be in Phuket in august/september

Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

people usually don't do roundtrip on cruise ships, and the price on cruise ship are usually for one way. But I suppose you can do that, just pay double price.

Liked

On Easter Sunday...........

............ I had a four-hour visit from long-time friends who were on a cruise ship that docked at the port between Pattaya and BKK, at Laem Chabang .............. they had boarded the ship in Hong Kong having flown there from the USA ............. then a couple of stops in Vietnam, Laem Chabang, Singapore, Phuket, then on to spots in India through the Suez Canal and ending up in Athens. ............ the cruise line was OCEANIA CRUISES www.oceaniacruises.com ................. check out the web site....... not sure, but would assume that you could get on at any stop and get off at any subsequent stop ........... for example get on in Laem Chabang and get off at Phuket???? ......... for the price of a ticket. In their case they had a choice of many excursions for the day they were in port at Laem Chabang, one of which was a "Day at the Beach in Pattaya" ........ they were dropped off at Royal Garden's Marriott Hotel at about 11:30 a.m. and picked up again at the same spot at 4:00 p.m. Not much time but since we had not seen each other in decades was really a special way to dine for Easter. Would love to know what you find out if you research this.

There are quite a few cruise ships sailing from Singapore that do a 4 or 5-day cruise up the Straits of Malacca, calling at Penang and Phuket. One or two of those that you saw anchored right now off Phuket might be these.

I doubt if it's a good idea for the gay travellor however. These ships tend to call at port during the day with day activities onshore organised in advance. They do their sailing at night so that the next morning, one has arrived at the next port. This usually means that all passengers will have to be back on board by about 10 or 11 pm at the latest. Since that's when the bars open, you'll be missing them all.

I have vague memories of David in Pattaya taking a short cruise from Laem Chabang

http://www.starcruises.com/Destinations ... huket.html

Liked

Wambat

A cruise is a great idea. If you are traveling alone, note you will probably be charged 150 to 200 percent of ticket, as all cruise ships prices are based on double occupancy. But aside from extra charge cruise ships are fun.

one thing I don't like about cruise is that you are forced to share a big table and dine with strangers if you want to eat in the main dining room. This is how it works on American and European cruiseship. I don't know aout asian cruise ship though.

Liked
    My friend had a choice of a fly/cruise all inclusive that started and finishes at Singapore

It sounded similar to the 3 and 4 day cruise out of Miami

I think one of the 4 days went to Phuket

Liked
    thank you to the person who sent me a private message with this link

http://www.starcruises.com/Destinations ... huket.html

We had given up on a cruise and now maybe back on the agenda

It appears to be a round trip SG/SG via Phuket

maybe we can get Phuket/Sg/Phuket
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Quote Originally Posted by macaroni21
    There are quite a few cruise ships sailing from Singapore that do a 4 or 5-day cruise up the Straits of Malacca, calling at Penang and Phuket. One or two of those that you saw anchored right now off Phuket might be these.

I doubt if it's a good idea for the gay travellor however. These ships tend to call at port during the day with day activities onshore organised in advance. They do their sailing at night so that the next morning, one has arrived at the next port. This usually means that all passengers will have to be back on board by about 10 or 11 pm at the latest. Since that's when the bars open, you'll be missing them all.
    Hi,

I did that cruise years ago. It was not a gay cruise though.

We flew and picked up the ship in Phuket and went to Burma [Myanmar], Yangon, Pegu etc. then we came down through the straits of Malacca stopping at various places. I visited KL,Penang,and another beachy place, with a bloody great refinery at one end of the island.

We wrapped up in Singapore at the Westin Stamford Hotel, then back to the UK. The crew were nearly all Filipino and very good.

It was good news and a great cruise. We were the first cruise ship in Burma for years. I bought a 99.99% gold coin with Burmese inscriptions and the Star of Myanmar, I still have it. It took them ages to do the purchase with a credit card!!

If memory serves me correct, the main Hotel was the Strand in Yangon, it was like stepping back into a time warp. Secret police followed us everywhere in those days. and we had to be back on board by about 9pm

Brings back memories this thread.

PS I have just looked, the other island was Langkawi. We also stayed first at the Sheraton in Bangkok. I remember we only had a couple of days in Thailand and four in Singapore andI spent the time wishing it had been vice versa