I remember my first time to Thailand. I packed 2 bags and a carry-on! One bag was a BIG suitcase, the 2nd was a medium sized bag and the carry-on was also medium sized. I packed enough clothes to last 2 weeks! I packed gym shoes, walking boots and sandals... I had so much stuff! I even had a gym bag inside of my big bag!

I didn't know what I would need so I tried to bring everything! It was a problem keeping up with all my stuff in my travels and I often worried that I may be leaving something behind in one of my many hotel and room changes!

Now when I come I pack very light. I bring a medium sized multifunction backpack type bag with handle and wheels. Now I only pack enough 2 pair of jeans, 3 pair of shorts and a few shirts along with a winter jacket for my return home.

I also bring a few extra sets of disposable contact lenses, Doc Martin hiking boots that I like so much. My PDA that keeps me updated on where I am supposed to be and who I am supposed to see (I cut and paste my online conversations onto the unit under the name of the person I am supposed to meet with their photo and name).

I took so little with me that the contents of the bag shifted constantly.

I also carry my laptop with me and I use the laptop bag to hold my important things because It is the one bag that will never leave my sight. My digital camera is in there along with my passport (When I am not wearing my passport around my neck). I keep my home cell phone in there with the battery removed to keep the battery full of charge. I keep sleep medication in there for the flight, my travel itinerary, my wallet and ticket.

Once I got to Thailand I did some shopping and that included buying another travel bag there and filling it with new clothes to wear during the remainder of my trip.

I am wondering if I can or should pack even less for my next trip.. I packed light the last time and it was a breeze dealing with security checks.

When I was in Tokyo, being stopped for a security check, I could only smile because at that time I did not have my laptop. All I had with me was a small bag with a book, spare set of contact lenses, Walkman and Cd's. I was wearing a loose shirt, loose shorts and sandals. When the small lady began her check she asked me to remove my sandals to check them but they were so thin and flat that it would be a wasted effort to check them for explosives, she opened my bag and there were only a few items in there and I had nothing more for her to go through... She looked like a new trainee not knowing how to proceed... She talked with another worker and then smiled at me put my things back as neat as she could and tanked me and with a giggle and I was on my way to wait 2 hours for the connecting flight....