Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: A Few Diversions

A Few Diversions

1. The Train:

Took Boy-Of-the-Week (BOW) on an overnight train trip down south - using a First Class Sleeper (which sleeps two) - to test out that old theory: that the movement of the train тАЬenhances the experienceтАЭ But be warned: thereтАЩs not much space in those compartments (although the overhead luggage racks proved unexpectedly useful handholds). You only have a tiny hand basin in the compartment to wash up in & toilets are at the end of the carriage.

Railway food was very basic (and expensive) - luckily we had brought some with us - you donтАЩt get those food & drink hawkers in First (or Second) class that are so useful when in Third class.

The last four hours of our trip was in daylight - and my chief disappointment was that the windows were covered with advertising which allows only a dim view of the outside. Perhaps the obscured windows are to protect the Thais from the sight of the vulgar antics of the farangs in the train, but IтАЩve also encountered this view-blocking window-advertising when travelling in seated Second Class on a previous journey.

2. The Plane:

We flew back (from Surat). It was his first flight and it was a great to see his excitement, apprehension and pleasure - he couldnтАШt wait to tell his friends from the bar and brag to his mamasan - and heтАЩs hounding me to get the photos printed.

But talking about it later, he admitted he could never tell his family: for him to be on a plane would give away what he does for a living. Ditto for his girlfriend (& I presume when it happens: for his wife and kids).

I wondered if I was a little selfish wanting to see his excitement on the plane - but only created what was for him a truly amazing experience that he could never tell his loved ones about.

[Learnt a new Thai word: He is not yet in a serious relationship with his girlfriend. This half-way stage, between friend and lover makes her his тАЬgeekтАЭ (high tone). It seems to be a word we farangs are not expected to know: IтАШve used the word subsequently and all Thais are amazed & amused by me using the word - and often ask me who I learned it from]

3. Boxing:

Armed with what-to-do print-outs from previous posts here, we went along to Lumpini Boxing Stadium.

We got second class seats: 1,500B for me and I think 400B for him - but ringside (another 500B for me) would have given my old eyes a better view of the talent. The crowd yelling their тАЬOi! Oi!тАЭ and тАЬChing! Ching!тАЭ gave a fun atmosphere.

Bouts are in five rounds: but the first two rounds are very lukewarm with virtually no action. Third and fourth rounds were the real thing. Fifth round was usually lukewarm with lots of hugging on the ropes. In short: three of the five rounds are not worth watching - I really preferred the speedier action of the three-round bouts you see in Pattaya (although every BOW IтАЩve taken say itтАЩs fake).

Unlike Pattaya, they have a тАЬlive BandтАЭ playing that тАЬmusicтАЭ that accompanies boxing. I was sitting behind the Band and can report that it was a bottle of Pipers that was secretly filling their otherwise innocent-looking cups of water.

4. Snakes:

BOW loves doing things for the first time - so I took him to BangkokтАЩs Snake Farm - on Rama IV just about opposite BB Inn. For me 70B and 20B for him. At 10.30 am thereтАЩs a (dull) slide-show inside, followed by a live snake show outside. Try to get a front row seat for the live show: the spectacle of the cobras rising up and hissing is memorable and worth the 70B.

IтАЩm sure there are better snake shows in Thailand - but at least with this one itтАЩs just a short walk back to Silom for lunch

Liked

Re: A Few Diversions

Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo
    [Learnt a new Thai word: He is not yet in a serious relationship with his girlfriend. This half-way stage, between friend and lover makes her his тАЬgeekтАЭ (high tone). It seems to be a word we farangs are not expected to know: IтАШve used the word subsequently and all Thais are amazed & amused by me using the word - and often ask me who I learned it from]
    Sure this word "กิ๊ก" always impresses thais who hear it from a farang. I sometimes use it with my boyfriend when he is jealous about another boy that I have talked with or offed just for fun.
    If you want to know everything about this word, go to
    thread about the word "keek"
    More on my blog at : llz.blogspot.com