Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Ko Samet Hotels

Ko Samet Hotels

Anybody got any personal preferances for hotels on Ko Samet? Any more "Gay friendly" than others?

Liked
    I have stayed at Pudsa Bungalows ('04) and Samed Villas ('05). The former is an 800 Baht a night basic beach hut and the latter is a 2,100 Baht a night 'bungalow' with a/c, nice decor, satelite TV and great shower room.

I'd stay at either again - you pays your money and takes your choice. No problems with gay (un)friendlyness anywhere on Samet.
    If [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/YouTube.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/MySpace.jpg[/img] I'll [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Google.jpg[/img] your [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Yahoo.jpg[/img]

Forum's veteran
    Liked

one2go

I've visited Koh Samet several times and only made the mistake of staying on the Sai Kaew side of the island once. Straddling both sides of the Sai Kaew Beach Resort are a dozen other low rent bungalows, all of which rent for about 800 BT and offer an ocean view.

The music on that side of that island is allowed to blast until 1:00 AM amidst the crowds of mostly (98%) Str8 visitors. Our bungalow had rips in the screen which the mosquito's appreciated, and between the bubble gum music blasting from crackly speakers and mosquito's flying around as big as Blue Jays I had had enough. Boy Special and I checked out the next morning and headed to the other side of the island to the Bay of Ao Prao.

There are three semi-luxury resorts on the bay, one of which is the Ao Prao Resort which is by far my favorite. The bay is almost totally secluded...less people...more tranquil...very exotic...and one of the most romantic places I've found in LOS. The prices are a bit steep, but you get what you pay for. IMO, there is nowhere on the island that is either gay unfriendly - or overly gay friendly.

The staff at Ao Prao have gotten to know Boy Special and I, and seem a little warmer when we stroll into the lobby. The guests are usually Asian families, Japanese, Thai, Malay, etc., and seem to prefer privacy amongst themselves as well. The beach is breathtaking, complete with a nice coral reef for some great snorkeling and lined with coconut palms. Each bungalow has a private porch overlooking the ocean furnished with hand polished teak furniture in Thai decor. The only sounds you hear after 8:00 PM are the ocean waves and an occasion THUMP as a coconut hits the ground...just perfect!

The food is also excellent at Ao Prao, including an all-you-can eat morning buffet which includes honey baked ham carved off the bone, made to order omelette's, fried potatoes & onions, good old fashioned pancakes and a host of fresh tropical fruit, etc., etc., etc.

If you want something economical with the intent of just partying for a night or two with the boys, Sai Kaew might be the answer...just check the screens for holes. If serenity and romance top the agenda - spend the big bucks and go for Ao Prao.

mai pen rai

Liked

Re: one2go

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
    ...just check the screens for holes.
    Are mosquitos that bad on Ko Samet?

When i stay in Pattaya or Issan I always sleep in an open room with no screening of any sort... (unlike Bkk!)

I always thought Ko Samet being near To Pattaya would have a similar type climate to Pattaya and be fairly Mozzie free?
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked: 1

Re: one2go

Quote Originally Posted by colmx
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
    ...just check the screens for holes.

I always thought Ko Samet being near To Pattaya would have a similar type climate to Pattaya and be fairly Mozzie free?
    In my cheap days before I upgraded to the upper class 800 baht hotels , I stayed at the Apex hotel on second road for 450 baht a night and the god damned room was full with the little critters :angry8: even with the windows closed. I guess cheap hotel = cheap wall where the little vampires have free access to the fresh blood supply.
    but I agree that was the only time out of 8 stays that I noticed mosquitos in Pattaya.
    Ofcourse I go with other Falang, it's my job, but you are the only one I love :)

Liked

BFs Room

I stay in my BFs room, which has to be the cheapest hotel of all! And rarely get bitten my mozzies, but then again his apartment is near the Icon hotel... Which is a fair distance from the beach....(unlike the Apex )

Perhaps its a beach thing?
    I know the moizzies like water... but i thought it was standing water that they liked?
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Island Mozzies

Koh Samet, like many of the islands in Thailand, have double canopy jungle interiors which are loaded with mozzies. They seem to be more prevelant along the sea side in the summer season between dusk and dawn.

I make it a habit to eat a lot of garlic when visiting any of the islands...and always take a supply of an Aussie made repellant called BUSHMANS...it's the best you can get.