Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tarntawan Place Bangkok

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked
    The hotel is very gay friendly. At the price, I can't imagine why a straight person would choose to stay there.

Is boygeenyus ...

... looking for somewhere for his mother and her friend the postman?

Liked

Tarntawan Hotel

I have stayed there about 6 times the last time about 3 years ago. The location and service are excellent. My only complaint was the that the rooms were becoming a little shabby. There has been a refurbishment since my last stay. I started a thread here some months ago seeking comments on the "before and after" state of the rooms. The response was mixed with the consensus being that there was a noticeable but not spectacular improvement. Any further comments would be welcome.

An interesting question.

Actually I have noticed over the past 2 years or so a small but steady increase in what looks like chinese businessmen and couples. When I first stayed at T. I would have said it was 99% gay clientele. They even had a massage place attached in the courtyard (back in 2001). My last few visits I would say it looks more like 70% gay 30% straight. I noticed enough of a change last year that I asked myself BG's original question.
    I think they're just trying to fill rooms, not change the clientele.

Liked
    On one of the Hotel Search web sites I noticed the Tarntawan listed with no mention of it being gay or gay friendly. I can't remember which one, something like RoomsThailand or Precision.

On the Bangkok Tonight web site, a straight forum, in the hotel section someone was recommending the Tarntawan for it's location to the Patpong lady bars. Then someone else said stay clear of the place it's full of gays.
    E Dok Tong

Tarntawan Place was my home last month for my first ever trip to Thailand. I could never overstate the positive experience. I agree that the clientele is probably 70, 80, or perhaps even 90% gay. I attended the Thursday evening Managers Reception which is an hour of free drinks and mixing with other guests and the two guys that I believe are the owners. The reception was 100% gay. I mixed in the lobby restauraunt with many other single men. Most were older than me and certainly helped with lots of good info on gay venues. I can't imagine any of the guests being "available" as we all shared the same desires, which were realized in the multitude of wonderful bars within a few blocks promiximity of the hotel. Security was excellent and they treated my constant parade of young men with the utmost of respect. I always had a call from front desk before they released the ID to my boy. They were, of course, assuring my safety and that all was well. The straight couples in the lobby or restaurant obviously had no problem with the majority of gay men and many having breakfast with their Go Go Boy of the previous night. Incidentally, the hotel gives a full breakfast from menu, not just to the guest but to your boy as well. Location is great and all of my boys enjoyed the experience. Most were happy when told we were staying at Tarntawan.

I had just left a 4-star Hotel in Saigon that was no better than Tarntawan.

I will be there again, as soon as I can get out of Alaska.

Liked
    In reply to the original question, in my experience of staying at The Tarntawan which was most recently in Oct 2006 twice (3 days at the begining and 3 days at the end of my stay in Thailand) and a regular visitor 3-4 times a year for the last 8 years, I would estimate an 80-90% gay clientelle, as there are somtimes straight Jap or Chinese couples,as well as some business travellers.But I've never seen any families. Responding to the second question of assuming a single man staying on his own might very likely be gay...is a fair assumption, but as I say there are lone Asian business travellers staying at this hotel which I have come accross at reception. And also the porter has told me about some of the Asian businessmen taking back Thai girls from I assume, the patpong bars. Also on my last visit I was in the business centre,which is basically a computer(2) room with some books and writing paper, and a guy who had overheard my conversation, deduced I was Scottish,as he was, and he was a businessman who worked in Asia and had used the Tarntawan before, and as I gleened from his one sided conversation that he was straight as all he spoke (boasted)about were the thai girls he chased.
    For anyone looking into this thread just to find out info on the Tarntawan, there is a fairly long thread with some updated information on the Gaythailand forum going back to, i think, last month. Some of the posters here including myself have contributed to that thread also.