List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "A Great Party 101,500 raised - NEW:Boxer's Pics :-)

Re: that's a good question

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchtime O'Booze
    ### over 100,000 baht is an excellent result for this effort-it would indicate that people were being extremely generous on the night considering there are so many requests on them to donate.
    Do you really think so? The individual donations from 4 known individuals came to 75,000, nearly 3/4 of the total. The pass the plate - the only true measure of the geneal audience donating something raised just over 12,000 which if there were 250 people there means an average of 50 a head. Does that seem people were being generous?

Liked

Re: Presumably ...

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    ... what you're asking the bar owners to do is to include in their "donation" the cost of employing staff, paying for utilities etc.
    I'm including transport costs to the venue, antacids required after the dinner, etc in my "donation"

bkkguy
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

true gwm4asian

..3/4 came from just a few individuals but really that is what charity fund raising is all about. If the hundreds who attended inspired a handful to donate large sums then the whole function is a success. While it might seem that the mass of attendees were a bit on the mean side we don't really know what their individual circumstances are. Not everyone has spare cash-a lot may be living on a pension in Pattaya and many may have saved for a budget holiday..so overall the day was a success !!!... :cheers:
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.

Liked
    Forgive me if I am wrong, but wasnt this festival planned before the need to support Allan came to the fore

300 baht buffet plus one free drink does not seem to me to leave much in the way of profit

All these things need extra staff, extra equipment and the owners carry the risk that the night may be rained out or boycotted by people on this board and others

So what if the function went on and the raffles and pass the bucket only, were for the charity

I find it hard to seperate the cheap charlies from the generous people who attend, donate and spend, but are asking for more open accounting

Those who made the most noise in my opinion had no intention of attending or contributing, but just wanted to knock those taking part. Empty vessells make the most sound .
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Re: that's a good question

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchtime O'Booze
    That's why a break-down of donations, costs and disbursements is helpful
    So you want to add a further overhead onto the owners - the cost of accounting for that particular function? Someone else has already remarked, not only is much of that commercially sensitive information, owning a bar is not necessarily the ticket to untold wealth, and many bar owners operate on much skimpier margins than they would like anyone (including their "friends") believe. As well, many bars are always on the market (in the sense that for the right price, they'd sell) and they're certainly not going to provide information that could influence the size of the offer

A better solution would be for the charity organizers to offer the bar owner a flat fee for the use of their premises and staff and a set limit on the amount of booze to be sold, and take the surplus - essentially the bar income. However that would transfer the commercial risk from the owners to the charity and that's usually not a burden do-gooders wish to shoulder

Liked
    I am surprised that if the 'cost' was 300B, that the ticket price wasn't hiked up to 400B. Then the organisers could have said, hand on heart, the ticket price includes a donation of 100B to Allen's Fund. Everybody happy. With some 300 attending that would have netted 30,000B to the kitty by itself. I don't think many would object to a 400B ticket price... they all know they are attending a Benefit function and they are knowingly contributing through their ticket to the Fund. Maybe even 500B ticket price with 200B to the Fund. Most recognise that hospital operations are not cheap. It seems a missed opportunity.
    Dick

Forum's veteran
    Liked

ye gods

I won't be disclosing any "commercially sensitive information" by pointing our readers to the Thais4Life website..

http://www.thais4life.com/
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.