Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Traffic Lights in Pattaya

Deceased Member
    Liked

Traffic Lights in Pattaya

We are all waiting for the new Traffic Lights in Pattaya to work through the Central Control room but in the meantime at a recent meeting of the Committee the Chairman said, "We are still working towards full automatic control but in some cases the Police will have control. However on the point of turning right at lights he was amamant that if you are not correctly in the lane marked for right turn or over the line or stationary trying to beat the queue in the next lane, the lights will not change for you!!!" So how do you get Green? TIT!
    More reason to watch the lights!

That last sentence sounds so bizarre: The light won't turn green for right turns if some scofflaw stops in the center lane to make an illegal right turn????

The Pattaya Mail article (Friday January 27, page three) was worded a little differently, and perhaps even more convoluted:

"If any car wishing to turn right is not parked [?] within the white markings but parked [?] in the middle of the road at the red lights, then the lights will not change to allow turning right. In future [sic] all drivers wishing to turn right at all trafffic lights will have to be within the white markings."

What's a light turning to green got to do with it?

Liked
    I agree the article was not to clear. However, I'm guessing the white lines in the right turn lane may be marking a "sensor" that will cause the right turn light to activate when it is crossed (weight of vehicle). In the USA, most traffic signals in cities are so equipped (for left turn, we drive on the wrong side, you see). Sometimes, when deciding to make a left turn at the light at the last minute, I have moved into the left turn lane after the sensor - so, if no other car has come up behind me (thus activating the sensor), I've had to back up over the sensor and then move forward to the intersection. Now, that being said, I don't see why it will pose a problem to the Thai driver if they are in the center lane and the green right turn arrow doesn't come on - they will probably just make the turn anyway as they do now - who needs an arrow.

Deceased Member
    Liked
    Agree with both the last two posters. What has colours got to do with it, dangerous places Traffic Lights in Pattaya!
    Sensors in ground not here in pattaya its all to do with the Cameras at junctions and central control i believe, and Oh yes you do drive on the 'wrong' side in USA hahah!

Liked: 1
    I hope the new traffic lights still have a count down timer, very cool feature, wish they had that over here, it makes waiting more bearable :clown:
    Ofcourse I go with other Falang, it's my job, but you are the only one I love :)