I was blown away by "Brokeback Mountain". But now that I've seen "Transamerica", I would put it at the top of my list of favourite movies this year. Whereas BM was a serious movie with a serious theme, Trans was a light-hearted take of a serious theme.

Felicity Huffman is a tour-de-force and deserves all the awards she can get. She is riveting as an actress playing a man becoming a woman. I couldn't take my eyes off of the character she was creating unless it was to ogle the naked beauty of Canadian, Kevin Zegers who played her/his 17 year son.

Briefly, just before Huffman's final sex altering surgery, she discovers her son, whom she hasn't seen for 16 years, is a hustler in New York and in jail and needs to be bailed out by a parent. She does so, he wants to go to Hollywood and she must get back to California to have her surgery. They have little money, thus the road trip begins

The script is deft, concise with sharp poignant dialog. Every scene is brilliant which builds tension and understanding while slowly revealing the two to each other. It's not until a climatic scene near the end that the son discovers that Huffman is his father.

Zegers is a perfect foil for Huffman. He is a sweet, rough, all-knowing, innocent who has had enough worldly experiences to be willing to learn. And if I wasn't infatuated by the beauty of Thai youths, I would swoon over Kevin. See Picture.

This is a must see movie.