Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Culture Ministry to teach politeness to tourists

Culture Ministry to teach politeness to tourists

Bangkok Post

"(TNA) - Thailand's Ministry of Culture will distribute a handbook on Thai manners and 10 'Do's and Don'ts' in Thailand to foreign tourists to enable the visitors to understand and avoid doing things considered taboo in the kingdom, according to Ministrer of Culture Khunying Khaisri Sri-arun.

Khunying Khaisri said the handbook is designed to create more understanding among foreign tourists regarding Thai etiquette and actions that may not appropriate among the Thai public.

The Fine Arts Department and the Culture Monitoring Centre frequently receives complaints of inappropriate behaviour by foreigners such as placing Buddha image heads at inproper places.

"Some foreigners use the Buddha images as hatracks, some put them at the foot of their beds and some use them as a decoration in the product sales display cases," she said.

Many foreign tourists were found dressing inappropriately when visiting temples in Thailand, she added.

The minister said the handbook would be issued in eight languages including English, Chinese, Japanese and Arabic, and would be given to foreign embassies in Thailand for distribution.

The manual would also available at hotels, Suvarnabhumi Airport and on board Thai Airways International aircraft."

I was amazed this week to see a half page advert in The Bangkok Post for a non Thai Bank I think. The picture was of a massive stone foot - it could not have been anyone but Buddha and a westerner was standing on the statue.

Today on Throntree a western youth was surprised at his Thai girlfriends anger - I kill you - when he pushed her underwater in a pool with his foot on her head.

Liked

Gentle tolerent Theravada Traditions?

On the other side, how about teaching Thais not to cut in lines at the 7-11 and else where; providing a check bin in English; giving the correct change and cut the shit about not having change. How about deceptive double pricing and farang price gouging?

Twice today someone cut in front of me. I was at a store and got a phone call and was distracted for an instant leaving just enough space between me and the person in front for the lady behind me cut in front of me. Then at a private postal service I was at the counter, there was no clear line, I was waiting for a long time and then someone who came in long after me just made a side approach to the counter and shoved his package on the desk.

Yesterday it happen twice in Pattaya. I was at the bus station getting a ticket back to Bangkok and I had my bag on the ground in front of me. The line moved and I bent over to get the bag and move forward when this older Thai guy takes advantage and cuts in front of me. Then in the small store at the bus station, again I am limited in movement by luggage, I get a side counter approach by a Thai lady.
    E Dok Tong

are you from the UK TrongpaiExpat?

I found in my years living there the Brits take their queuing seriously..which is the only way it would work of course. Break ranks on a bus line and you were likely to receive a stern look.

The airlines should really push this book and explain to tourists they should take it seriously. I reckon farangs can be pretty insensitive in Asian countries. Fortunately the gay community seems better behaved than the heteros.

Re: Gentle tolerent Theravada Traditions?

Quote Originally Posted by TrongpaiExpat
    On the other side, how about teaching Thais not to cut in lines at the 7-11 and else where; providing a check bin in English; giving the correct change and cut the shit about not having change. How about deceptive double pricing and farang price gouging?
    In other words, you want to impose your culture's views of what's right and what's wrong on the Thais.

Do Thai Buddhist values teach it is good to steal from people (double pricing) and not have regard for other humans (cutting in line)?

I don't think so.

Culture Shock!

I don't think that Thevada Buddhism has much to say on waiting in line at the 7 - Eleven as Buddha favoured Family Mart and Tesco Lotus. I have seen little of this queue/line jumping during my many years in Thailand. I know that a person of high status will, rarely, walk to the front of a line and other Thais will defer without a murmer. I have also read that in Thai thinking the Post Office belongs to Thais and they expect to be served before non-Thais but I have not seen this in Jomtien Post Office. I am quite impressed to see Thais waiting in neat lines for the skytrain, on either side of the door area - allowing the passengers to exit before entering - something I have not seen anywhere else in the world. How varied are our views of this funny country? Mine is that most Thais defer to me and treat foreigners like 'Queens'.

The double pricing thinggy is an old chestnut which many Foreigners find totally offensive and unfair. Thai culture has no problem with this as it is always expected that the rich should give more than the poor. To the very rare foreigner who is poorer than an Isaan farmboy it is unfair - as are many things are in life.

The differences in cultures are sometimes hard to grasp. In the UK at all formal fucntions we make the loyal toast and raise our glasses (of alchoholic beverage) to salute the Monarch. On Royal festivals the bars and pubs get longer opening hours (that was before the current open anytime). Here in Thailand, respect is shown when bars are, often, closed on The King's birthday - today - will they be open tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by Thaiquila
    Do Thai Buddhist values teach it is good to steal from people (double pricing) and not have regard for other humans (cutting in line)?

I don't think so.
    Much of Thai modern culture has nothing to do with Buddhism whatsoever. Anyway, culture is comprised of how people behave on a day to day basis, not what their religion tells them.

Buddha

Buddhism is just the dominant religion in Thailand but that doesn't mean every single person will adher to the teachings anymore than Europeans who define their country as Christian will.

It's just simple politeness to be more aware of customs in a host country if you are a visitor but expecting locals to adher some set standard of behaviour isn't going to get you very far.

If people have a problem with how Thais behave, they could always go to another country where there are less Thais. Thais seem to be quite prevalent in Thailand, so you have to get used to their ways if you intend to stay there. I believe there are not so many problems with people queue-jumping in Baghdad.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_syd
    If people have a problem with how Thais behave, they could always go to another country where there are less Thais. Thais seem to be quite prevalent in Thailand, so you have to get used to their ways if you intend to stay there. I believe there are not so many problems with people queue-jumping in Baghdad.
    Seems the British are the only ones who know how to queue anyway, they like this order it gives them a feeling of security and they like being led, a bit like sheep. You would be surprised at how doggy dog the Europeans can be, and the Americans. The Dutch are the worst (far more sensible in other ways) even resorting to brawling to get ahead. I find the Thais are very polite I have never had anyone nudge into a queue. For real irritation try the Chinese in Hong-Kong they wont even let you out of the tube before they start pilling in, you literally have to bark "stay!" so you dont miss your stop and end up flattened against the opposite side of the car.
    As for being cheated in the shops, who cares one way or the other if you get one $ less than you expected, I am sure it wont break the bank.