Quote Originally Posted by homintern
I know of one bar owner whose view is that most of his customers are tourists, they'll get over it, there aren't (and won't be) too many bars like his so he needn't fear for competition, and so he sometimes makes soothing noises (if anyone bothers to complain) but does nothing. Sometimes he just barks. I'm quite sure he's not alone in that attitude.
No, he's not alone, unfortunately.
There's a similar bar\bar manager, in Pattaya. I stopped going there seven years ago, and so have, at least; four friends. During that time; by quick, conservative estimate I've spent 250,000 THB on drinks plus, at least; another 125,000 in tips and Offs--In other bars. My friends, much harder drinkers and bigger bawds, bless them, than I, have surely spent much more.
Well, the owner may say, 'business is fine without you.'
Reply: 'Um, now about those empty seats....' (That could be occupied.)
Many tourists DO return to Thailand--And stay for stretches of two or three months at a time, sometimes; twice or more a year--And go out every day and every night; unlike many expats who go to the beach and home: television, boy cooks, Johnny Black on the shelf, boy on the work-bench. (Hey, not knocking it; so would I!)

If 'he' (The business owner.) wants to cop an attitude, fine; it's money out of his pocket, not mine. I go where I feel wanted--And return to those places trip-after-trip, many times per trip--And even may give some word-of-mouth. Sometimes service is slow (Hint: Ask what's fast if you're in a hurry.) but the--good--waiters come around and let us know we aren't forgotten; joke or chat a while: remember a conversation we had months ago (!), maybe offer something to nibble. (No, not that!) (Damn it!)

Old saying(s):
'Know your customer.'
'A happy customer might return. An unhappy customer won't come back--And will be sure to tell everyone he knows.'