Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: military conscription

Liked

military conscription

My new Issan boy is hinting that he needs 25000 baht to avoid the Thai draft. I've read that all Thai men, at age 21, have a 1 in 3 chance of being inducted for mandatory military duty for 1 to 2 years. Has anyone had experience with this 25000 baht scheme, or is it a common scam?

Buyout of the draft

No first hand knowledge but I have heard that it is possible for a boy to buyout of the draft. Do not know how much the fee is, but I am pretty sure it is possible. Perhaps some of the more experienced members can shed more light on this matter.

Liked

military conscription

Thank you Monkey See - He doesn't turn 21 until next year so I'll wait and see if his number comes up, then cross that bridge. I met his parents, and everyone else in his village, last month. They are poor, but extremely nice people. He's never asked for a cent before so I am suspicious that some of those nice villagers are pressuring him to milk the farang. Last week he was hinting around that he needed a car - not a used one, but a 2007 Honda. That's a 600,000 baht investment with 250,000 down and 20,000 per month...and he doesn't know how to drive.

I don't know how much trouble the Thai army can make for gay men, but there's always bullies. He's a sissy, a real big sissy. At 6'2" he's a good head over most Thai, and a head means a lot to a Thai. He doesn't act or dress like a kid from the sticks and attracts a lot of rude stares on the sidewalks of Udon Thani. If I give him money it may be wiser in the long run to pay for weight training or kickboxing lessons and then let him take care of himself wherever he goes.

Let him be conscripted. Sounds like he has a lot of maturing to do, and the army will be good for him.

Liked
    I am sure someone else will have more knowledge than me on this but I think that if you want to do a buyout, it is most easily done before the drawing.
    If you burn your neighbors house down, it doesn't make your house look any better. - Lou Holtz

Liked

From a horse's mouth ....

Quote Originally Posted by adman5000
    " ... I am sure someone else will have more knowledge than me on this but I think that if you want to do a buyout, it is most easily done before the drawing ..."
    Could be wrong of course, but I suspect that (in Thailand) the amount of lucre involved would trump the date of palming every time.
    Yes ... a Thai guy can buy himself out of the draft ... or the results of the draft. He can also get himself a drivers licence in 3 hours as opposed to 3+ weeks.

" ... You can get anything you want, in Alice's Thai Restaurant ... "

(To the tune of a great Arlo Guthrie ditty. Old hippies will be familiar.)

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Payment before the draw is best and 25,000 baht is not out of line.

Forum's veteran
    Mount Calvary Baptist Church of the Redeemer
    Liked
    What does Beryl think? She's our resident expert, and fine example, of the best of British military intelligunce. Come on Hovelturd, you must have learnt a thing or two from practicing your midnight maneuvers on unsuspecting privates, you big nancy. Should this boy avoid the draft?
    JESUS LOVES YOU, yes, even you nancies

I have had Thais tell me it is no longer possible to buy out of the draft. It is highly possible you are being scammed. That said, do Thai elite really get drafted, and if not, how do they get out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jingthing
    That said, do Thai elite really get drafted, and if not, how do they get out of it?
    The old adage answers your question - "IT'S NOT WHAT YOU KNOW, IT'S WHO YOU KNOW"