List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mamasans Helpful or a Pain??.............

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Mamasans Helpful or a Pain??.............

I was in Lucky 777 and had asked the mamasan about a boy I had seen on a previous night..The mamasan left and returned with the right boy and had him sit on the stage in front of me..I called him over for a drink and the mamasan leaned over to talk to me..He said that some farangs had complained about the boy as not doing very much..He said the boy was very straight ..
    I had spoken, on an earlier nite, with a different mamasan/waiter who said the boy could and would do everything... I did not off the boy and was grateful to the honest mamasan who I didn't usually talk with..I didn't feel any chemistry with the boy when he came over for a drink but probably would have offed him if not for the advice..
    I usually do not like when pushy mamasan/waiters come over and when asked, always assure the customer that the boy will be good... This was a nice surprise and I will take care of the mamasan next time I go ....
    I have also gotten honest advice from the mamasan at DreamBoys in Pattaya althou he tends to be very positive but will tell me if he doesn't know and I appreciate his honesty and take care of him each time...

Liked

Kickback

Mamasans are crooked cheats :bigsmurf: <or at least most of them!> in my opinion....

Chances are that this boy did not give the mamasan enough of a kickback from his last off and so the mamasan is taking revenge on him...

Or at least thats usually the story you hear when talking to the boys outside the work environment...

Did the mamasan try to advise you to take a different boy (must likely recommending a guy who gives a good % kickback)

Then again on the other hand who knows... he could have been a complete dud!
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

They are such a pain.
    I don't understand people who tip them.
    That just encourages them.
    If anything, we should actively be trying to eliminate this job position.
    Sure, the bars need someone to keep the "dancers" in line.
    All the obnoxious high pressure stuff that goes on makes used car salesmen look good.
    Please do not tip them!

Oh How can u all be so cruel to the dear old mammasan!! Take the happy chap dom in Gentleman Club, been there years and always got a happy smile on his face. ( specialy when you get him a mekong coke ).
    No its when you have 2 or 3 in one club then its rather pointless

Liked
    Mamasan's are simply high-class (arguable!) touts . . . let me tell u.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Gentlemen

I have to agree with s-l-s that the mamasan in Gentlemans Club is the smiliest and friendliest of mamasans in the whole of Pattaya... NOT!

He is dour, but seems very efficient and my Bf tells me he is very good to the guys who work there...

Also agree with Thaiquila, i can't understand why anyone would tip a mamasan... have rarely come across a mamasan who deserved any sort of tip... with the Exception of Jenny who used to work in Funny Boys and is now in Lucky 7... I

On Second thoughts i have just contradicted my first post above... So i guess i should retract it... Cat you were probably getting good advice from the mamasan! <if it was Jenny> He is one of the good ones and can be trusted<in my opinion>

My Pet hate is when a ladyboy mamasan lies against you and pretends to sleep on your next because they are so tired... or pretend to like you so much.... yuck!
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked
    As far as I can tell, all mamasans are not created equal - some are helpful and some are a pain. Some are, as Smiles says, not much more than "touts" and will try to push any barboy on you. Others will have some knowledge of the preferences of the various boys and try to match you up with someone who meets your requirements. And others are basically there to act as translator and let you make your own choices. If I find a mamasan too annoying, I hit the road and don't come back.

Quote Originally Posted by manfarang
    As far as I can tell, all mamasans are not created equal - some are helpful and some are a pain. Some are, as Smiles says, not much more than "touts" and will try to push any barboy on you. Others will have some knowledge of the preferences of the various boys and try to match you up with someone who meets your requirements. And others are basically there to act as translator and let you make your own choices. If I find a mamasan too annoying, I hit the road and don't come back.
    You are kind of supporting my point.
    So many of them are incredibly annoying!
    So they sour and ruin your experience of a bar.
    Their behavior inspires you to leave earlier than you wished, or even not to come back.
    What kind of value are they adding?
    They are scaring away business and actually hurting the sex workers, scaring away more customers than they pressure into foolish choices.
    OK, I can understand tipping the very rare exception of a "good" mamasan with whom you feel a personal bond for some reason, but to tip them under pressure when they have been obnoxious, again, just encourages their surly behavior.

I suppose they are a nesessary evil:

some newbys couldn't do without them.
    With a few exceptions; I do all I can to discourage them: politely ignore them, don't buy drinks, don't tip--And if that doesn't work, saying, "Go...don't need, don't come back."\"Pai, mai torng, mai glap mar.." will--Unless she's on ya-ba.

A waiter: one who knows you & who knows you leave a fair tip, will usually be honest and very helpful.

Good post catawampuscat. My mamasan experience varies. Most of them do seem to stretch the truth, but some of them are pretty good. Although one of them keeps pestering me for designer fragrances. Once wanted to massage me endlessly visit after visit and his hands never seemed to tire from it. One kept pestering me to off him because he had convinced himself I was on my way to a disco afterwards, which I wasn't.

All in all, I appreciate mamasans, even the ones I don't quite understand. All part of the package that makes my time there so enjoyable. I have never found what other farang describe as high pressure mamasans to be overbearing and find it quite manageable. Still, I take them with a pinch of salt and feel that if a mamasan is able to ruin your experience, it says more about you than him.

And yes sometimes I do tip them, certainly if they amuse me. I must be easily amused!