Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Emigrating

Emigrating

I am due for retirement soon, and i am considering moving from London to Bangkok, do board members think this is generally a good idea given the current circumstances in Thailand?

I appreciate this is a broad question, but I would gladly appreciateany advice.

Regards

Opinion

My opinion is "go", if youre heart is set on it, just "go" - whilst non-democracy is not ideal, there are a lot worse countries that are non-democratic - Thailand is still relatively stable and I suspect a new constitution and elected government will be sorted eventually - say within a year ish.

I would'nt buy property out there yet, until things settle down. I don't know whether prices are going up over there or what!

Bkk

I agree. Go but do not buy anything. Rent only.

I don't think that the 'current circumstances' should affect your decision. There does not seem to anything that the present Government are doing that affects foreigners in Thailand.

The sensible thing to do is to spend time in Thailand and see how you get on. Don't go mad and buy a property a the moment unless you want to buy View Talay 5 in which I have some lovely positioned condos for sale.

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1
    If you REALLY want to buy... contact me I have an "in" for Ocean 1 irate:

Trial run?

This subject is really interesting. Although my retirement is eleven years, ten months and three weeks away, I do have fairly detailed plans. But to be honest, I do not think that I could cope with living in Thailand all the year round. The plan is to have a base in London still, and spend the winter months in Thailand.

Who knows how much life will change in the years before my retirement. Even if you do decide to give it a go, I really do think that you need to try it out first, keep your home in London and rent in Thailand and spend a few months there first.

All the best whatever you decide, and I am so envious that you are so close to retirement.

I very much agree you should try it out first for several months. Until my last four month trip, I never thought I'd want to live FT in LOS. However, after living there for four months there is nowhere else I want to be right now, and I miss it very much. I could happily live there FT. It was also this long trip when I learned I was happier in the North than in the South. I seem to be more of a mountain person than a beach person. So, you might want to try some different regions and find what is best for you.

IMO, you have little worries about the political situation. Tourism and expat investment are still major sources of revenue in LOS, and it is hard to seperate the two.

Pete

FT in LOS - IMO

An acronym too far?

Society for the abolishment of oblique unnecessary acronyms, split infinitives and hackneyed anacronisms.
    Wowpow, President, Founder and sole Member.

TTFN

Quote Originally Posted by wowpow
    anacronisms.
    ??? Perhaps you should also found and become the sole member of the Society for those who cannot spell or who are unable to use a spell checker !!!!!!!