While reviewing the 1997 Thai Consitution regarding other issues, I came across the following section (under Chapter III titled "Rights and Liberties of the Thai People"):

Section 43 []
A person shall enjoy an equal right to receive the fundamental education for the duration of not less than twelve years which shall be provided by the State thoroughly, up to the quality, and without charge. In providing education by the State, regard shall be had to participation of local government organisations and the private sector as provided by law. The provision of education by professional organisations and the private sector under the supervision of the State shall be protected as provided by law.

I've asked a few Thai friends over the years about the Thai educational system and I've been consistently told that the first 8 years ("elementary" and/or "elementary and middle school" as the west would know it) are provided for free [although I note Amaretto has just posted a story in the Global Forum of a 6-year-old in Samut Prakan who claims he begs on the street because he doesn't have " money to pay for my studies in a school"].

And everyone has told me that there are many fees for books and other things for grades 9 through 12 (our highschool equivalent?) and that is why many Thai youth stop their education after 8 years. Based on what I've
been told, grades 9-12 are hardly provided "without charge" as the Constitution seems to demand.

Anyone have some actual knowledge they can share on this topic? I'm just curious.