Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salary from US

Liked

Salary from US

If I live in Thailand but continue to receive a salary from my company in the US......and continue to assist in operational matters...via the computer...etc........or possible sales calls in Thailand.......Do I need a work permit.....and do I pay Thai taxes...when salary is coming from US...? Maybe another stupid question by me........but have not seen it brought up here...?

Yes, you legally must have a work permit and pay taxes on your salary -- regardless of where it is coming from -- if you are performing work in Thailand.

If you are only working on the phone and computer and are NOT contacting Thai clients and NOT making visits to clients in Thailand, it would be absurd to go on the radar in Thailand. Otherwise, you have an issue.

We are not talking about strict legalities, but realities and practicalities.

Liked: 1
    You must have a work permit to work in Thailand even if you are doing voluntary work without payment.

If you are simply assiting your company with day to day running via the computer or phone, then I would consider that not working in Thailand. A lot of visitors to Thailand keep in weekly or daily contact with the company whist on an extended vacation.

If you are drumming up business in Thailand, phoning or visiting clients, then you are working in Thailand so get legal. You will probably be refused and back to square one only now the government know know about you.

What ever you decide to do legally or illegally When someone in The Thai system feels your time is up you will be out.

Why do we love Thailand? The government and the people abuse us bleed us create laws to make life difficult extract as much as possible and then when the old cow has no more milk they throw it out.

ma pen rai you had a good time while it lasted.

Just a thought working without a permit is illegal. Prostitution is also illegal HA HA HA
    Don't try to hold in farts - they travel up your spine and into your brain and that is where shitty ideas come from.

Why do you assume a work permit would be refused? I've never heard of anyone being refused a work permit, assuming they were qualified for the job and their company qualified to hire them.

Quote Originally Posted by boygeenyus
    Why do you assume a work permit would be refused? I've never heard of anyone being refused a work permit, assuming they were qualified for the job and their company qualified to hire them.
    He clearly says he is representing sales in Thailand. If his US company had offices in Thailand he wouldn't,t be needed to do what he is doing. I do know that to become legal his company would need to set up a company or branch in Thailand. Quite a costly venture. I'm sure he wouldn't get a work permit to work from his home. Taking from Thailand and giving nothing in return like jobs to Thais etc.

I don't know but reading into this it looks to me a if his company is getting him to represent them on the cheap right now.
    Don't try to hold in farts - they travel up your spine and into your brain and that is where shitty ideas come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaiquila
    If you are only working on the phone and computer and are NOT contacting Thai clients and NOT making visits to clients in Thailand, it would be absurd to go on the radar in Thailand. Otherwise, you have an issue.

You appear to be in favour of avoiding legalities which is of course another good reason that the new visa rules are being introduced.

If people who thought the same as you i.e. of ways to skirt around the legal ways of doing things, had gone the safe route in the past there would not now be so much panic amongst farangs. :blackeye:

Quote Originally Posted by Naughty But Nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiquila

You appear to be in favour of avoiding legalities which is of course another good reason that the new visa rules are being introduced.

If people who thought the same as you i.e. of ways to skirt around the legal ways of doing things, had gone the safe route in the past there would not now be so much panic amongst farangs. :blackeye:
    That is total BS.
    Did you read my post?
    I said if he deals with Thais or Thailand, he would need to get legal.
    If he is sitting in his Thai home, using his computer and phone and not having any dealings with Thailand, he really would not need to structure anything in Thailand.
    I know alot about this. My opinion is even backed up by information from Thai immigration.
    This kind of thing has NOTHING in common with people working illegally IN the Thai economy.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked
    Thailand has reciprocal taxation agreements with many countries to avoid dual taxation on individuals. In that circumstance if you were paying tax on this income in another country, you would not also be liable to income tax in Thailand.

I have read of and know someone who works on a computer in Thailand for an American company. Her income goes into a bank in America - after deductions and tax and is transferred to Thailand periodically.

If you are in Thailand working on a computer abroad you don't pay Thai income tax. Money brought in from abroad is not taxable. If you work in Thailand e.g. sales calls then you need a work permit.
    I hope that my posts will be of use.