Most of us know this already, but in case there’s someone out there who doesn’t you should know that being exposed to air pollution over a long period of time can cause a long list of life-threatening lung conditions including asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and has also been linked to lung cancer. It’s a good idea to monitor the AQI where you reside to keep a handle on this.

A bit about AQI:

Think of the AQI (Air Quality Index) as a yardstick that runs from 0 to 500. The higher the AQI value, the greater the level of air pollution and the greater the health concern. For example, an AQI value of 50 or below represents good air quality, while an AQI value over 300 represents hazardous air quality.

AQI values at or below 100 are generally thought of as satisfactory. When AQI values are above 100, air quality is unhealthy: at first for certain sensitive groups of people, then for everyone as AQI values get higher. Just as an example these are the AQI values for a few places today: Pattaya = 42, Phuket = 66, Buriram = 60, Bangkok = 61 (personally I have a hard time believing this), and Chiange Mai = 195.

From what I understand international travel insurance carriers have canceled coverage for tourists visiting those places having AQI values >100 such as Chiange Mai. There may have also been international travel advisories issued to the same effect…not sure.

The experts recommend keeping doors and windows shut and use a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) purifier. “Undaunted (MFAS)” purchased one of these years ago and recommended we do the same. I didn’t listen then but I’m buying one now. Also avoid smoking, burning candles or cooking fried foods.

On a personal note: I wouldn't travel anywhere up in the northern regions at all until the AQI levels come back down to normal. And, because of the heat wave we're experiencing now, I'll be spending less time outdoors in general. I can think of plenty of fun things to do indoors until it cools down a bit...