Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer

Liked

Computer

I am thinking of buying either a laptop or desk computer when I arrive in Sept. Since this will be a new Thailand experience for me any suggestion for the best prices and possible service might be.. I really dont want to buy one here and lug it to Thailand.

Thanks,

john

Similar Threads:
    TOQ Tired Old Queen

Don't feed the trolls, Don't feed the trolls, I keep telling myself ..........

Remember that if anything goes wrong with your purchase you will not have the consumer rights that are extant in more developed economies. I was sorely tempted to purchase a laptop in Thailand a few weeks ago, especially as the old one is playing up with frequent "recoveries from serious errors" and I'll be back in LoS in a few months, but I was in John Lewis, Oxfords Street, London, a few months ago taking my Sagem digiital video recorder back which they refunded so I bought the Humax when this Korean guy with his girlfriend was incredulous that they were replacing his HP laptop with barely a murmur.

Yep - we pay a bit more, but I reckon the extra is worth it especially for significant outlay items.

Liked
    That seems like a point very well made. I wonder if Tukcom has a service department there for computers purchased from them.. Of course that might be a hassle..

Maybe I should buy a laptop here and if i want a bigger screen just buy a flat screen there..

Humm, that might work.

Thanks for the input.

john
    TOQ Tired Old Queen

Don't feed the trolls, Don't feed the trolls, I keep telling myself ..........

Re: Computer

Quote Originally Posted by TOQ
    I am thinking of buying either a laptop or desk computer when I arrive in Sept. Since this will be a new Thailand experience for me any suggestion for the best prices and possible service might be.. I really dont want to buy one here and lug it to Thailand.
    john
    As well as the excellent advice already offered you would do well to bear in mind that a warranty for one region of the world will not necessarily be honoured in another region even by the top manufacturers.

Often it will mean shipping the item back to an authorised repair/service centre in the region of purchase.

I always buy items such as cameras and laptops back in the UK and should anything go wrong with it I return them on my next trip. I am in the postion where I travel to the UK from Bangkok at least once a month (often more) so it does not present a problem for me.

Unless you are planning to stay in Thailand for a long period I would always suggest buying the item in your home country. You may save a few ┬г┬г┬г┬г┬г┬г┬г's by buying in Thailand but that is no real consolation if the thing can't be repaired.

When I looked at Laptops in Bangkok a couple of years ago I was very surprised how cheap some were compared to others until I discovered that many were offered without an Operating System. This meant no royalty had been paid to Microsoft. Some were offered with a Freeware copy of a Linux based Operating System but the obvious answer was that you were meant to buy a "Copy" of a Microsoft Disk for about 150 baht, usually from a stall around the corner.

That's not an idea I liked at all given all the problems of installation of dodgy disks, different versions, getting service etc. I've only looked at software recently so I don't know if this practice still goes on.

Best to buy when you are on a visa run in Hong Kong or Singapore. You will pay 15% to 40% less (depending on brand), and they will tell you about warranty coverage up front. Major vendors such as IBM and HP seem to look at Thailand as a place to get rid of their old inventory at full price, and with the stupid (because no computer products are made locally) import tax and high margins, it is quite expensive to buy current hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by mumbaighost
    because no computer products are made locally
    Don't be absurd. AMD, Seagate, etc., etc., all have huge factories in Thailand, and Thailand is one of the world's largest producers of computer monitors.

If you're going to buy a laptop, you won't get it any cheaper in thailand for most brands. Also, you don't say where you're from, but if it's anywhere other than the US you will not get the keyboard you need in Thailand (you will have to press @ to get a " and vice versa, for instance, or have to put up with US formats for dates etc).

For desktops, you'll have to buy locally anyway. And you will make a substantial saving of at least UK costs. A desktop will be way cheaper than a lap top and will perform much better. In fact, you could buy a good desktop and a good PDA for less than the price of a laptop. If you do get a desktop made for you though, get it made where you live. Most companies sling the components together without a care. You will almost certainly need to take it back to the shop to have them fix the problems this causes (though they always seem quite happy to do this). If possible, though, go to a local shop that someone you trust recommends.

Quote Originally Posted by boygeenyus
    Quote Originally Posted by mumbaighost
    because no computer products are made locally
    Don't be absurd. AMD, Seagate, etc., etc., all have huge factories in Thailand, and Thailand is one of the world's largest producers of computer monitors.
    Okay fair enough -- each make some PCB's in Thailand - but the notebooks and desktops from Dell, IBM (Lenovo), and HP are manufactured in Malaysia and China, and some decent local Asian brands such as Samsung and Acer in Korea and Taiwan. So Thailand has no manufacturing industry to protect by imposing in import tariff on these electronics.

You are still absurdly wrong. Thailand has lots of home-grown computer manufacturers (Powell and Atec are the first two that pop into my mind), of which nearly 100% of the end product is locally produced. Get your head out of your ass, and if you don't know what you're talking about just don't say anything.

If you have to have a foreign brand, yes they are going to be imported.