Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP - Sone

Liked

Re: RIP - Sone

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
    I think its really touching that so many showed up for his send off. Would anyone know if Prep is available and if its low cost in Thailand? Am (maybe wrongly) assuming that aids was the cause.
    Sone died from complications of HIV however it was too late to provide help to him. The SWING Foundation in Pattaya can provide help to those from Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. PrEP and PEP can be provided free to those in need and meds can be provided via Banglamung Hospital at a one time cost of about 3000 Baht. But best to contact SWING for the details.
    SWING is located on South Pattaya Road close to the Vespa Service Center. Best to go in person for free testing and help since they sometimes are busy and don't always answer the phone.
    SWING also has offices in Bangkok.

2. 5 Users gave Like to post:

Aux1010 (August 20th, 2023), Dodger (August 21st, 2023), kittyboy (August 21st, 2023), ktq (August 20th, 2023), maump (August 21st, 2023)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
    I think its really touching that so many showed up for his send off. Would anyone know if Prep is available and if its low cost in Thailand? Am (maybe wrongly) assuming that aids was the cause.
    PrEP is readily available and is/was free for sex workers. The rentboys I asked all knew about it and most said they use it. but I think many lied.

HIV treatment is readily available and is free, but the bureaucracy can be difficult. I understand many face ostracization from their family and job loss if they reveal their status. I helped one of my longterm boys deal with infection, severe illness and family ostracization. He recovered was doing ok then went downhill into drug use...... I finally broke contact.

4. User who gave Like to post:

francois (August 21st, 2023)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

There is still a great deal of shame and embarrassment experienced by victims, not just in home villages but even in Pattaya. Someone with hiv+ may prefer to keep it a secret. Furthermore, a guy experiencing symptoms may not go to the doctor out of fear of what a blood test may reveal. Treatment can come too late to save him.

I recall the turn-over in bars in the late 90s seemed very high to a newcomer like me. Many times was I informed that a guy whom I'd offed and liked on a previous visit was no longer there.... he's gone home, I'd be told. Having learnt more about the ravages the virus, I now ask myself how many of them went home to die.

6. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (August 22nd, 2023)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    There is still a great deal of shame and embarrassment experienced by victims, not just in home villages but even in Pattaya. Someone with hiv+ may prefer to keep it a secret. Furthermore, a guy experiencing symptoms may not go to the doctor out of fear of what a blood test may reveal. Treatment can come too late to save him.
    So true and so sad.

Liked

HIV is still a threat even with the modern antivirals. As I write this a close Thai friend is entering an isolation ward in Bangkok. He’s been HIV+ for years and taking antivirals and although his CD4 count was never as high as it should have been he’d been clear of infections. Now he’s picked up a resistant bacteria and is entering isolation for a week’s treatment, hopefully, they’ll be able to clear the infection.

9. 2 Users gave Like to post:

francois (August 21st, 2023), Patanawet (August 22nd, 2023)