Thread: Airline prices

Liked

Re: Airline prices

Qatar fly 3 times aday to bkk and at the moment 2 of these are 380s

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by aot871 View Post
    Qatar fly 3 times aday to bkk and at the moment 2 of these are 380s
    Slight correction. Qatar flies 5 daily flights between BKK and Doha with 2 on A380s. Also has between 2 and 3 non-stops between Doha and Phuket depending on day of travel.

Liked

I would guess that prices are not likely to come down anytime soon for international travel. Here in the states flights are constantly full. With the possibility of a US recession looming (though that's been talked about for months now) I could wager US domestic travel might see a slight fare decrease in the next few months, but since international travel took longer to bounce back than domestic, and in general those that are traveling internationally can most likely afford to spend more money, I don't see international decreases anytime soon.

For context I booked 2 business class tickets to BKK for travel in February 2024 a little over a month ago. I paid a whopping $7800 EACH. Now, the fare for those same days starts at $9800 each. I'm hoping our dates don't have to change between now and then and risk paying a difference in fare.

In general, if it's a fare that is acceptable to you, don't wait to "see" if it will go down. Just book it. With most carriers (at least in the US) you can now cancel and receive a credit for future travel. You could then book the cheaper fare (if one becomes available) and have a residual credit for other travel.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Good advice. Book early for the best deals. I don't see prices dropping anytime soon.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Back to subject: prices did come down-around 200 €!! (just over this North Sea on the continent) some 4-6 weeks ago-on an airline I fancy a bit and would get double points/miles etc-for an extended stay as I am/was used to from late oct/early nov till just before 1/1. Giving reasonable prices of around 666-still way more as pre-covid. But then I lost the password for account and they would not send a replace and it took all so long that it went over. Then a small lowering on STAR* alliance-combo of LH and Swiss came and I took it-to find out they now also charge extra for check-luggage.
    Still looking at skyscanner and googleflite ev 2-3 days for the next trip planned for-as usual-around half jan. ´24 and this is and remains way higher as pre-covid, but not as high as 999/1000.
    Cheapest are usually GULF and Etihad and on some dates also Turkish, but then with very long waits or even change the 2 IST airports (takes some 2 hrs by train....)-around 800.
    So no-prices will not come down. At least here one has the choice a little more extended as one can also look to FRA/BRU/DUS or the like (DUS once had direct flites when AirBerlin was there) and take the train to there. Only feasible if one has enough time to waste.

Liked

Got a good price on EVA, by flying New Year's Eve!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Via its website? can you tell us how much you paid? Of course, it may help that it's "our" New Year and not that of Taiwan where EVA originates.... Taiwanese make up a large proportion of its customers on its LHR/BKK route.

Liked

Mainland Chinese airlines have not made a significant return to North America post covid. Many reasons for this, not the least of which are the poor relations that still exist between Canada/US and China. I recall not many years ago a business class fare from Vancouver to Bangkok was $2400-$3000 on China Southern or China Eastern. Now the cheapest fare starts at $6000 on China Airlines/EVA (Taiwan), if you can get that. It really is competition that drives fares down. That doesn't exist right now from North America across the pacific.

Liked

On website. £3,100. Business flex. Not cheap. But a lot cheaper than competitors. Think I was lucky, as that fare not available now. It's weird, I booked for Chicago in the BA sale, and the 09.30 flight was £950, business one way, AA. The 11.00 flight was £3,500!

Liked

PS. I was on Swiss, via Zurich, £4,100!