Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have I got this right?

Liked

Have I got this right?

Greetings!

Can some kind, well-informed soul confirm if my understanding of the current visa on arrival condition (and possible extension) is correct?

I plan to spend 30 days in Pattaya in December/ January. On arrival, I will receive a 30-day visa. If I decide to make a short visit to Cambodia by air before my 30-day visa expires, do I receive a new 30-day visa on arrival when I fly back into Thailand, thus allowing me to stay longer in Thailand than 30 days?

On the other hand, I understand that I can obtain a 60-day visa from the Thai Embassy in London but there is a fee and some paperwork to complete.

Finally, if I enter on the standard 30-day visa on arrival is it possible to obtain a short extension - say by a further two weeks - at the immigration office in Pattaya for a fee?

Thanks in anticipation.

PG

Liked

Re: Have I got this right?

if you enter the country by air visa exempt you will be granted a 30 day permission to stay on arrival. this can be extended by 7 days at an Immigration office for 1,900 BHT

if you enter the country with a single entry Tourist Visa you will be granted a 60 day permission to stay on arrival. this can be extended by 14 days at an Immigration office for 1,900 BHT

if you leave the country your permission to stay expires on departure, however if you obtain a Re-entry Permit at an Immigration office before departure you can leave the country and re-enter before the expiry date of your previous permission to stay you will be granted a new permission to stay up to that expiry date. I am not sure of the current price of a Single Entry Re-Entry Permit

if you enter the country with a Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa you will be granted a 60 day permission to stay on arrival. if you leave the country and return before the expiry date of your visa (not the expiry date of your previous permission to stay) you will be granted a new 60 day permission to stay. Multiple-Entry Tourist Visas may not be available at your nearest embassy and consulate - check with them

there are limits to the number of visa exempt entries, particularly back-to-back entries, and there are limits to the total number of days in a year you can stay visa exempt, and these may or may not be consistently enforced, someone else may have more experience with this and be able to advise

your easiest option is probably to arrive visa exempt then if needed do the 7 day extension and/or the re-entry permit, but I am not a UK citizen so perhaps others can advise on the ease and cost of obtaining single or multiple entry tourist e-visas there!
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

3. User who gave Like to post:

Patanawet (June 30th, 2023)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by poshglasgow View Post
    Greetings!

Can some kind, well-informed soul confirm if my understanding of the current visa on arrival condition (and possible extension) is correct?

I plan to spend 30 days in Pattaya in December/ January. On arrival, I will receive a 30-day visa. If I decide to make a short visit to Cambodia by air before my 30-day visa expires, do I receive a new 30-day visa on arrival when I fly back into Thailand, thus allowing me to stay longer in Thailand than 30 days?

On the other hand, I understand that I can obtain a 60-day visa from the Thai Embassy in London but there is a fee and some paperwork to complete.

Finally, if I enter on the standard 30-day visa on arrival is it possible to obtain a short extension - say by a further two weeks - at the immigration office in Pattaya for a fee?

Thanks in anticipation.

PG
    First of all, you enter Visa Exempt and receive a 30 day permission to stay. The Visa on Arrival is only for some countries and UK is not one of them. Once here you can extend your permission to stay by another 30 days at an Immigration Office for a fee. If you do that and then leave Thailand for Cambodia you start the process over and you will receive another 30 day Visa Exempt when you arrive back in Thailand. The only problem is your airline may not let you board if your return date is beyond the 30 day limit.Likely not but possible. To avoid that you could purchase a flight to Cambodia and either use it or throw it away.

5. User who gave Like to post:

Moses (June 29th, 2023)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    First of all, you enter Visa Exempt and receive a 30 day permission to stay. The Visa on Arrival is only for some countries and UK is not one of them. Once here you can extend your permission to stay by another 30 days at an Immigration Office for a fee. If you do that and then leave Thailand for Cambodia you start the process over and you will receive another 30 day Visa Exempt when you arrive back in Thailand. The only problem is your airline may not let you board if your return date is beyond the 30 day limit.Likely not but possible. To avoid that you could purchase a flight to Cambodia and either use it or throw it away.
    Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply. Much appreciated.

Liked

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply. Much appreciated.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post
    if you enter the country by air visa exempt you will be granted a 30 day permission to stay on arrival. this can be extended by 7 days at an Immigration office for 1,900 BHT

if you enter the country with a single entry Tourist Visa you will be granted a 60 day permission to stay on arrival. this can be extended by 14 days at an Immigration office for 1,900 BHT
    The extensions are 30 days.

Over the years, I have moved from visas plus extension to visas to visa free entry. Can't be bothered with applying for visas or going to immigration to extend, and there is so much to see and do in Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar that 30 days in Thailand between these trips should be enough for me in the future.

But keep in mind that airline (but not not immigration) will probably ask about proof of leaving Thailand within 30 days when you enter visa free.

9. User who gave Like to post:

poshglasgow (July 1st, 2023)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

[QUOTE=bkkguy;294906]
    there are limits to the number of visa exempt entries, particularly back-to-back entries, and there are limits to the total number of days in a year you can stay visa exempt, and these may or may not be consistently enforced, someone else may have more experience with this and be able to advise

/QUOTE]

There is no limit to the number of “border runs” by air.
    The limits only apply to border runs overland.

Liked

The present cost of a Single Entry Re-Entry permit is Bht 1000.

12. User who gave Like to post:

Liked

Yes! As mentioned by others, you will be entering "Visa Exempt" which grants you a 30 day permission to stay. If you leave Thailand and return by air, you will received Visa Exempt entry for another 30 day permission to stay. There is no limit doing this by air, but if Visa Exempt land border entries are limited to two per year. However, if done by air several times, especially back to back, Immigration may question whether you are really a tourist and in most cases tell you next time to get Visa, but depending on the Officer, they could deny entry.

If you obtain a Tourist Visa, when you enter you will receive a 60 day permission to stay. A Tourist Visa is valid for entry from the date of issue up to 90 days later.

Both a Visa Exempt (30 day stay) and Tourist Visa (60 day stay) can be extended at any Thai Immigration Office in the country for another 30 days - the fee is 1,900 baht.

As mentioned by another poster, your airline may deny boarding if you do not have an onward ticket within 30 days of your arrival if you do not have a Visa (visa exempt entry). This is because it is an Immigration requirement which could make the airline liable if denied entry (even though that is very unlikely as Immigration Officers at the airports rarely if ever ask to see an onward ticket).

14. User who gave Like to post:

Liked

Many thanks for this most comprehensive reply.

The area I'm having difficulty with is this question of the return ticket to the UK from Bangkok. Although in thirty years of visiting Thailand I have never been asked to show proof of a return airline ticket, I am under the impression that there could be problems if, during the 30-day stay, you go to the immigration office and ask for an extension of the visa and it shows that the return ticket is in fact valid for a date in excess of the 30-day on arrival visa. In that situation it looks as if I am confident of being granted an extension to the 30-day visa. I'm not even sure if airlines flying between the UK and Thailand will let you book a return to the UK that exceeds the 30-day visa date for departure from Bangkok.

My ideal scenario is: fly to Thailand and return to the UK after six weeks, during which time in Thailand I will take a short trip to Cambodia by air.