Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Complex Tales

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Re: Complex Tales

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    I just had a message from a bit in Siem Reap, asking for $50, as he had an accident. He attached pics, which looked pretty bad, and were him. That makes it difficult!
    I'd say if you believe and trust him, want to help, and the amount involved won't be a problem for you then send it to him.

I have a general rule to NEVER give money to anyone who I won't see in person at the time (not specifically because I don't want to help, but just too many requests that I deem not really genuine and it's just easier to have a blanket 'sorry, I can't help with that right now').

However, just before Covid started I met a lovely guy in Manila, non-moneyboy who was working hard in a low paying job to look after his grandma and younger siblings. Once Covid hit his job disappeared and their situation became pretty desperate.

I (somewhat reluctantly) broke my rule (only reluctant because I knew if I did it once I'd likely do it again for other guys). But seeing his genuine gratitude and photos of him and his family being able to eat again made me glad I did so. We still keep in touch and he's never asked for money again.

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

francois (July 6th, 2023), maump (July 8th, 2023)