Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hiring a Travel Companion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Hiring a Travel Companion

Who needs a "Guide" to begin with?

To me, the most exciting part of visiting distant lands is "self-exploration". With a sense of adventure...not knowing exactly what I'd find...surprised at some of the things I did find...and, ironically, always experiencing the most memorial events after I had made a wrong turn and found myself totally lost.

2. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Armando (April 6th, 2023), arsenal (March 31st, 2023), christianpfc (April 5th, 2023)

Liked

Agree with Dodger. Especially as I'm not in a rush to see as much as possible in a short time, I rather do my own planning and traveling.

Back to the question where the guide stays. I had hired a taxi driver to take me and my parents to Kanchanaburi, with two nights in Kanchanaburi. I just gave the driver 500 THB extra for accommodation and two meals (dinner and breakfast), and left the details to him. He ended up staying at the same place (250 THB for fan room, cold water) as I (600 THB room with aircon and hot water in shower).

In Phnom Penh, many tuk-tuk drivers seem to sleep in their tuk-tuk in a hammock. I wouldn't be surprised about taxi drivers sleeping in their taxis.

Liked

===but he said that as he doesn't have a degree a hotel won't employ him===

Mac has UNI degree in English and hospitality, but in guiding, not in hotels. He is one of tens or hundreds guides in Thailand who has license for whole Thailand instead of license for one-two provinces or "Bangkok only".
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Liked

That's crazy isn't it! He would be a good addition to any hotel! A good deal better than a lot of the current staff!

Liked

My message was a reply to Moses message, 21 20.47!

Liked

Siam Roads,,why is he still employed by them or with or recommended by them?? forget him...get a new one

Liked

New review on Siamroads service: https://www.facebook.com/siamroads/

Hello, we booked Will for a Day/Night tour of Saigon. Will was very welcoming to us, arrived right on time and we had the most wonderful day with him. His knowledge is amazing being a local Saigonese, and we were taken to a stunning roof top garden restaurant, then a tour of the Reunification Museum.

Will is a very relaxed and friendly guy, we so enjoyed our time with him and he can be highly recommended as the perfect guide in Saigon.

Thanks Will.

John & Nick
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com