Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: More Than Just a Memory

Forum's veteran
    Liked

More Than Just a Memory

For those of you who visited the old (original) Memories Bar in Sunee Plaza back in its hay day you would most definitely have known the proprietors Jack, Ralph and Oud who manned the helm of the most popular beer bar/cafe in Sunee for many years.

I just learned that Jack has passed away which has left me stunned and almost speechless –which is rare for me.

According to Ralph, his partner for over 50 years, Jack died suddenly of a heart attack and was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital and was cremated 9 days later.

How does one even begin to contemplate the pain and sorrow involved in losing your partner after spending over 50 years together 24/7 and harvesting so many wonderful memories? I guess the answer is – you don’t. It’s just impossible.

Back in April of 1998 (I think) I found myself sitting alone at a small table in front of Flamingo Hotel having breakfast, and out of nowhere I heard a friendly voice say “hi, where you from”. I turned to see a farang sitting at the table behind me sporting a smile ear-to-ear and speaking in a familiar American accent. We become friends immediately, and before leaving the restaurant he handed me a business card with 3 elephants and the name “Memories” embossed in green letters on the front – followed by an invitation to attend the grand-opening of his new bar which was being held the very next night. He gave me directions to the location in Sunee Plaza (I never even heard of Sunee) and two nights later I was there enjoying all the festivities and getting to know Jacks Partners Ralph and trusty Thai manager Oud.

After that first night in Sunee, Jack and I continued our friendship and Memories Bar became my home-away-from-home for the next 15 years or so. He taught me the ropes so to speak…was always there with a kind word and lots of laughter when witnessing some of my antics…never critical…and was the first person to teach me the phrase…”Life is not a Destiny – It’s an Adventure” – which I’ve gone on to recite a thousand times since first hearing it.

I have many pictures of Jack, Ralph and Oud from back then, but unfortunately none that are electronic that I can upload here.

If anyone happens to have an electronic picture of Jack they would like to upload and share that would be great.

Jack was 73 years old when he passed – and Ralph is now 84. They both originated from Pennsylvania and spent their lives bonded together and traveling the world to some very exotic locations. I saw a picture once of Jack and Ralph posing together back when they were very young – and it left me breathless.

RIP my dear friend…and thank you so much for all the wonderful Memories.

...may your adventures continue.

2. 28 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (February 22nd, 2023), AdamKY (February 22nd, 2023), Andy (February 22nd, 2023), Armando (February 25th, 2023), arsenal (February 22nd, 2023), Aux1010 (February 26th, 2023), BenCH (February 23rd, 2023), billyhouston (February 22nd, 2023), bkkmfj2648 (February 22nd, 2023), Dax (February 27th, 2023), daydreamer (February 23rd, 2023), francois (February 22nd, 2023), Fred (February 25th, 2023), gerefan2 (February 22nd, 2023), GWMinUS (February 22nd, 2023), jvt22222 (February 22nd, 2023), Kenny (February 23rd, 2023), maump (March 2nd, 2023), Oliver2 (February 22nd, 2023), Patanawet (March 7th, 2023), pong (February 22nd, 2023), pronto (February 23rd, 2023), rexton (March 11th, 2023), riverdee (March 3rd, 2023), Ruthrieston (February 23rd, 2023), splinter1949 (February 22nd, 2023), TrumplesOz (March 2nd, 2023), uncle (March 5th, 2023)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: More Than Just a Memory

...what a lovely write up...

4. User who gave Like to post:

Patanawet (March 7th, 2023)

Liked

Very kind of you to share this.RIP

Liked

Very sad to hear about Jack. I remember him, Ralph and Oud very well. By the time I started visiting their bar, it was Oud's Cafe. What a trio the three of them made! It was a very interesting dynamic, but they certainly made it work. I will always remember my times there.

Liked

Was the Memories Bar in Sunee Plaza located before that in north Pattaya?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Josan View Post

Was the Memories Bar in Sunee Plaza located before that in north Pattaya?
    No, the Memories Bar in North Pattaya opened several years after Jack, Ralph and Ouds Memory Bar in Sunee opened and was under a different management.

When "Memories" (in Sunee) was sold - the new owner changed the name to "Memories Music Bar".

A few years later the happy trio got bored and opened "Ouds Cafe" which was just a few doors down from the original Memoires.