Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gaybutton board hacked

Liked

Re: Gaybutton board hacked

Moses told me that he is going to have to wade through a good 5000 files to find and eliminate the virus plaguing my board. I am in no hurry and, Moses, please take your time. I'd much rather have this done correctly than quickly - and take whatever security steps are necessary to prevent this sort of thing from happening again.

Those of you who have memberships on my board, once it is up and running again I suggest you change your board password - just in case.
    https://www.gaybuttonthai.com

2. User who gave Like to post:

Surfcrest (February 14th, 2023)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post
    Moses told me that he is going to have to wade through a good 5000 files to find and eliminate the virus plaguing my board. I am in no hurry and, Moses, please take your time.
    I suppose this proves your point from an earlier discussion - you don't need backups to restore from in this type of situation, though Moses may have a different opinion about the value of his time to fix the problem for you compared to his time just to help you restore from backup or re-setup from scratch!

If you had software and data backups you (with help from Moses) could be back up and running in half an hour, if you had at least data backups you (with help from Moses) could re-install and re-configure the software and restore the data backup in a few hours - with no backups how long is it going to take Moses to "fix" the problem for you? and how much do you care about his time?

I am obviously not as nice a guy as Moses - if someone had said to me in the past that he didn't need backups because he could always just re-start from scratch I certainly wouldn't be wasting my time checking and fixing "5000 files" for you!
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post
    If you had software and data backups you (with help from Moses) could be back up and running in half an hour, if you had at least data backups you (with help from Moses) could re-install and re-configure the software and restore the data backup in a few hours - with no backups how long is it going to take Moses to "fix" the problem for you? and how much do you care about his time?
    Aha - the King of Adversarial posts strikes on this board too. Maybe you think you're telling us something we didn't know. Maybe you think we don't have backups. Maybe you think - well, then again maybe you don't even think, which is certainly the way it appears to me. You just get your jollies with these kinds of posts - none of which are ever helpful to anyone.

I'll tell you what you do - if you think it is any of your business and you want to know why Moses is working on the problem in this way or why he is taking time to help me, ask him.

5. User who gave Like to post:

Surfcrest (February 14th, 2023)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post
    I suppose this proves your point from an earlier discussion - you don't need backups to restore from in this type of situation, though Moses may have a different opinion about the value of his time to fix the problem for you compared to his time just to help you restore from backup or re-setup from scratch!

I am obviously not as nice a guy as Moses - if someone had said to me in the past that he didn't need backups because he could always just re-start from scratch I certainly wouldn't be wasting my time checking and fixing "5000 files" for you!
    We have backups. Problem is: if just to restore from backup, then there still will be hole in security and hacker(s) will repeat hack. I check all files for to find changed/forged/added to forum's software for to find and close this hole. Scanners show nothing, so I do it manually. And I do it slow because of 2 reasons: I'm just after almost one month of vacation and have a lot of things to do, also after moving from hot to cold climate I got cold and fever, so I'm working 2 times slower than usually.
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

7. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Surfcrest (February 14th, 2023), TrumplesOz (February 14th, 2023)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

[QUOTE=bkkguy;293992]

I am obviously not as nice a guy as Moses .../QUOTE]

Agree with you there. You sound like a real dickhead.

Based on Moses reply - you haven't got the foggiest clue what you're talking about.

9. 3 Users gave Like to post:

2lz2p (February 10th, 2023), BenCH (February 12th, 2023), francois (February 10th, 2023)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Based on Moses reply - you haven't got the foggiest clue what you're talking about.
    if you are that impressed with Moses' reply I doubt you have the foggiest clue what you are talking about - but let's not waste our time getting into a debate about who exactly is the adversarial dickhead here and who has the best understanding of dealing with the issues of security vulnerabilities in popular open source projects
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

11. User who gave Like to post:

Khor tose (February 12th, 2023)

Liked

Any updates?

Liked

Hack has been removed. Forum will be restored within next 24 hours +/- 12 hours.
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

14. 4 Users gave Like to post:

bkkmfj2648 (February 20th, 2023), christianpfc (February 21st, 2023), llz (February 21st, 2023), TrumplesOz (February 21st, 2023)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Hack has been removed. Forum will be restored within next 24 hours +/- 12 hours.
    Thank you so much, Moses. I know how much time and effort you put into this and how difficult it was to find the hack. This is not the first time I have had to turn to you for help. I can only hope this is the last time anything serious goes wrong.

I am truly grateful to you.

I will post an announcement when my board is fully restored and ready to go.

Liked

Just for clarification: GBT forum is already restored, in case you see error 500 - please clean your browser's cache and delete cookies for domain "gaybuttonthai.com".
    Your first visit may be very slow because forum will do some calculations, if slowdown will be longer than 3 min, please find "Mark forum read" at right above list of forums and click it.

1676920009760.png

17. User who gave Like to post:

bkkmfj2648 (February 21st, 2023)