List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you celebrate this New Year period Dec 2022 / Jan 2023 ?

Liked

How did you celebrate this New Year period Dec 2022 / Jan 2023 ?

Since I am still fairly new here in Thailand as a recent retiree - I would like to share with you my first Thailand New Year's Eve period to get your feedback.

Part ONE - New House Blessing

On 29 December and 30 December - a gay couple (Thai + Lao) that I know bought a new flat in the Life City Park over in Bo Win in Rayong. They can be seen in the below first photo - the one in the green t-shirt making the peace sign and his partner inside the house standing up and pointing.
    The monks were coming to the home early on the 30th so they asked me to sleep there on the 29th to guarantee my presence. I still don't have a car or motorcycle and we checked BOLT and its dependability on big distances like this during the crowded holiday period would not guarantee my arrival in time.

So, on the night of the 29th about 30 of their friends and family stopped by or slept there ( 16 people slept in the actual house as they also came from far away ). They finished the food preparation for the next day and we celebrated by eating some of it for dinner on the floor on floor mats. At my age, it takes me some effort to sit like that as my body is now more rigid than when I was young.

Are you able to sit and eat like them on the floor ??

Meal_night_before2.jpg

The food was really good and I ate some things that I NEVER have eaten before. They even warned me to NOT use the hot sauce but I insisted on trying it anyway - and yes I sweated after eating it.

Morning came and the 5 monks arrived and they sat in the living room on the floor on special mats that were delivered from the local Buddhist temple. My friends had to move out of the living and dining room areas all of their furniture. Conveniently, as this is a new housing complex, the house immediately next to them is vacant so they used that patio to put all of their furniture. While the monks were praying and blessing inside the house the most important people of the 40 in attendance were busy preparing the monk's meals in special silver ornate metal bowls - also delivered ahead of time from the local Buddhist temple.

preparation_of_the_meal2.jpg

The part that most amazed me was the "opening of the third eye" - like right out of a science fiction film - as we don't give much attention to our individual third eyes in our Western world. So, the designated Buddha statue is given to the main primary monk where he makes this statue "operational" by opening up its third eye with a special Buddhist blessing. I believe that the third eye is like an antennae to our higher spiritual being (or creator). While the monk was performing this exercise, the hairs on my arm stood up as I found it so moving. I need to discover more about our dormant Western third eye.

Do any of you reading this use your third eye?? I believe that it is located in the center of your forehead above your nose.

Opening_of_the_Third_Eye.jpg

Then the BIG event - the primary main monk got up on a chair above the main entrance of the house to paint / etch with a special golden pen a symbol that, according to my Thai friend, states that this house has been blessed and that evil is not welcome here. This process of etching and then placing seals on the etched insignia took quite a while and the gay couple had to stay on their knees for quite a while to support the chair that the monk was standing on to ensure his safety.

monk_preparing_signage.jpg

Lastly, the monks then went through each of the rooms sprinkling "holy" spiritual water ( it is probably sacrilegious to use the word holy to describe what I saw in the Buddhist religion ) and then exited the house to sprinkle this religious water on each of us to bless us. They used a type of bamboo bundle of sticks to do it and I was told that the religious water is prepared back at the Buddhist temple.

blessing.jpg

Have any of you had similar Buddhist monk experiences in your time in Thailand ?

This ends part one of my lead up to my Dec 2022 New Year's celebrations.

Part TWO - Condo holiday party etiquette

About a week ago the condo where I live solicited for donations to pay for a New Year's Day party for the staff (maintenance, security, gardeners, administration, etc.). What I found weird is that the notice was directed towards condo owners. So I felt excluded as I rent here. So I called the number and I spoke to the organizer and she told me - well we don't include renters - as our past experience is that renters don't want to make donations as they are not owners. I asked her if I could make a donation as I am made to feel VERY welcome here by all of the condo complex staff here. She was quite surprised that I even cared about the condo complex building staff - as she said that they even have difficulties in getting donations from the actual condo owners.

condo_solicitation_for_contributions.jpg

The condo staff offer a great service. For example, if I am having difficulties coming home from shopping they are right at the BOLT taxi to help me get into the elevator and up to my condo - you never have to ask them. If they see you coming for the elevator they hold the door open to make sure that you can enter. Two times that I needed maintenance in my condo - the maintenance team was at my condo within 1 to 2 hours after my request. Every day when I go in and out they are always smiling and saying hello.

We used to have this kind of concierge service in our large condo buildings in New York City in the 1970s and 1980s - before the ravages of self-service in the USA came and all of these types of normal services were either taken away as cost cutting measures or made to be very expensive for the select few who could afford them. Living here in a Jomtien condo building is a real treat - especially if you are a baby boomer who remembers the good old days.

Being in the holiday spirit, I decided to take a personal initiative where I would prepare and give each condo staff member a personal card from me saying how much I appreciated their professional service and as a new retiree here that they make me feel special, welcome, and belonging to a great condo complex. Firstly, I had to find money cards. These are easily found back in Europe and in the USA during the holiday season. I had great difficulties finding something equivalent. I traveled over to Pattaya city and walked around until in a Mr. DIY shop at the Pattaya Avenue complex I found ornate Chinese money cards (as the Chinese New Year will arrive at the end of January) that were perfect and super cheap. Then onto my home computer to write the perfect thank you message in English and then to translate it from English to Thai and then back from Thai back to English to see what could be tweaked to make sure that I deliver a correct and meaningful message. Then the printing of the messages in both English and Thai that would fit into the size of the small money card envelopes. Then the ironing of the baht bank notes that I collected so that they would feel crisp, clean, and new. And then the assembly of the complete package - illustrated in the below photo collage.

condo_gift_messages.jpg

Before heading over to Bo Win for the above mentioned house blessing I went around lunch time downstairs to the main floor where the hive of activity is by our condo workers and I started to distribute them to everyone I could find. And when I could not find someone the staff were already calling them from their work duty station to come to the lobby to collect their holiday note gift. The smiles on their individual faces and kind words in their limited English - truly made my holiday the best!! In fact, one of the security guys - every time he sees me he taps his shirt pocket (as he showed me that he stored my note in his pocket) and says thank you - I will never forget you. Truly a blessing to live here as a new retiree.

So, do any of you who live in a large condo building have any similar experiences?

I am curious to know how your condo building team that takes care of you every day is treated.

Part THREE - New Year's Eve festivities

Around 10:30pm I headed over to the Jomtien Supertown Complex to join my 2 Thai friends at the massage shop where they work - they had already been drinking for quite a while and kept asking me when am I coming to join them. I wanted to start late as I was sure that I would suffer a hangover the next day. They were already dancing in front of their massage shop and I immediately joined in - and got about 20 minutes of dancing in.

We drank until 11:45pm when we headed over to Dongtan beach to watch the local fireworks and the massive launching of the flying lanterns - the sky was amazingly alit and the beach was full of happy people.

Dongtan_fireworks.jpg
    -->> sorry about the crappy third photo - as Koh Larn is quite far away - my mobile phone camera did not do a good job of capturing the amazing Koh Larn fireworks - but with the naked eye they were still breathtaking.

What was also amazing to note is that there was a dual firework show put on by Pattaya city with simultaneous fireworks on Koh Larn. From Dongtan beach we could see the fantastic (although distant) Koh Larn island fireworks. However, from Dongtan beach it was not possible to see the Pattaya city fireworks due to the curvature of the beach and Pratumnak hill. So we were truly immersed in 2 sets of fireworks and floating lanterns.

We hugged and kissed at the conclusion of the countdown and remained a little while to take in all of the amazing sights.

Then we walked back into the Jomtien Complex and walked through the main covered section which by now was heaving with a TON of people and there was a blockage in the main walkway as The Palace bar had constructed a dance floor that protruded out into the main walkway. You had to kind of climb over one of the edges of the dance floor to proceed to our destination, which was the Coqtale bar to say hello to our friend Paul and then to hopefully dance in the Double Shot bar.

At this end of the complex - near the Poseidon hotel/restaurant the complex had a reasonable noise level and we could truly talk with each other and hear each other. My fantasy to dance in the Double Shot bar was not going to happen as the Double Shot bar was kind of subdued in my opinion (whereas, on other nights it was more energetic and there were people dancing) - so dancing was not on the menu tonight. The only dancing would be to return to the madness of The Palace and the loud noise so we just decided to remain at the Coqtale bar until closing time. Before I knew it, Paul said to me, hey you need to go as we need to close the bar before the police come. I looked at my phone and it was already 2:30 in the morning. Wow!! the night flew by. So I said good by to everyone and then walked home - and woke up very late today with a hangover. Had I been able to dance - I am sure that by dancing I would have burned off some of the alcohol and I would have had less of a hangover.

How were all of your New Year's Eve celebrations ?

2. 5 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (January 2nd, 2023), Dodger (January 2nd, 2023), maump (January 14th, 2023), RonanTheBarbarian (January 3rd, 2023), splinter1949 (January 2nd, 2023)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: How did you celebrate this New Year period Dec 2022 / Jan 2023 ?

i went caravaning at uretiti beach, half the campers are gay, drank heaps of beer, wine and chamagne...i lie...sparkling wine...sat on the beach...got terribly sunburnt...went to a white party (no its not racist) fucked 3 guys in 5 nights...so not too shabby

4. User who gave Like to post:

maump (January 14th, 2023)

Liked

I had to look up where Uretiti Beach is. I see it is in New Zealand and it looks beautiful

I see that there is a big gay camping event every NYE. Cool.

https://gayexpress.co.nz/2014/12/sum...tions-uretiti/

Liked

"At my age, it takes me some effort to sit like that as my body is now more rigid than when I was young. "

„Gerne der Zeiten gedenk' ich, da alle Glieder gelenkig - bis auf eins.
    Doch die Zeiten sind vorüber, steif geworden alle Glieder - bis auf eins.“
    ―Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    - https://gutezitate.com/zitat/156157

My translation: I yearn for the times my limbs were flexible - except one.
    Those times are gone, now my limbs are rigid - except one.

I would not be able to sit like that on the floor, and I would refuse to partake in activities that would require me to do so.

"special silver ornate metal bowls" it's aluminum. Same for the "Silver Temple" in Chiang Mai, all aluminum.

I once read the following joke, from memory: "How do you make holy water? You take normal water and boil the hell out of it." Had to google to make sure I got it right, here are variations: https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php...hell_out_of_it

I avoid going anywhere over Christmas and New Year, or whichever big holiday in the country I am in (e.g. watch out for Chinese New Year and Songkran). I was in Phnom Penh and because I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway, I went out around Royal Palace and Wat Botum Park, and I was not the only one. On the way back pedestrian traffic jam, and even though the demographics was favorable, it will be years until I go out for New Year again.

The following illustrate my attitude to New Year:

FB_IMG_1672498571522.jpg

FB_IMG_1672498680519.jpg

FB_IMG_1672542566827.jpg

7. User who gave Like to post:

BenCH (January 4th, 2023)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post

„Gerne der Zeiten gedenk' ich, da alle Glieder gelenkig - bis auf eins.
    Doch die Zeiten sind vorüber, steif geworden alle Glieder - bis auf eins.“
    ―Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    - https://gutezitate.com/zitat/156157

My translation: I yearn for the times my limbs were flexible - except one.
    Those times are gone, now my limbs are rigid - except one.

I would not be able to sit like that on the floor, and I would refuse to partake in activities that would require me to do so.

"special silver ornate metal bowls" it's aluminum. Same for the "Silver Temple" in Chiang Mai, all aluminum.
    Yes Christian - that one limb still gets rigid when the necessary arises :>))

ok, they easily fooled me abut the silver being aluminum. The allure was beautiful while it lasted.....

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkmfj2648 View Post

The part that most amazed me was the "opening of the third eye"
    This would hardly be surprising amongst the sexpats of Pattaya....

10. User who gave Like to post:

bkkmfj2648 (January 5th, 2023)

Liked

Honestly? Got into a fight with my dud, but extremely grateful it happened. It's not the arguments that matter, but it's how you handle them. Double thumbs up to my dude for handling it so graciously, and allowing us to just get back on the same page again. Kudos.

12. User who gave Like to post:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Jai and I always celebrate the holiday season with the natives in the heart of Isaan, with this year being no exception.

His family lives in a remote village in Buriram province surrounded by bamboo forests, rice paddies, and a lush triple-canopy jungle. This is the Real Thailand, where children still walk several kilometers over rice paddies and mud fields to get to school - and there are more temples than 7/11's.

For anyone who hasn't celebrated New Years night at a jungle party in Isaan you're missing a very memorable experience, e.g., bonfires crackling, the loud boom-boom-boom of Isaan Morlam music...boys and men getting mau on moonshine whiskey...the laughter of young children as they chase ghosts in the dark...with women still wearing farm field hats as they roast bullfrogs and other strange creatures on crude clay ovens.

I installed a modern kitchen in Jai's house years ago for exactly this type of occasion - so we don't exactly survive like Tarzan & Boy when we're up here. I also have a woodworking shop I constructed on one end of his house for fidgeting around with wood and bamboo projects when we're up here. My goal this trip was to craft a half dozen "Bamboo Bongs" due to the legalization of marijuana. I'm not sure what I'll do with them (well, one I do) - but they're fun and easy to make especially when we have a bamboo forest growing right outside our door.

Sex is always better in the country. Not sure why, but it always turns me on seeing him with messy hair...a tiny rip in his pants... and a smudge of dirt on his chin to get the motor running. I'm sure that being surrounded by nature also plays a role in this, as well as the fact that we're both completely out of our routines when we come here - where foreplay seems to begin the minute we hear the roosters crowing.

Jai's relatives (around 45) who travel to Buriram from their jobs in Bangkok and Surin packed up and returned to their jobs yesterday - so we're now experiencing the lull after the storm. It seems like all of Isaan went from Boom-Boom-Boom to a sea of tranquility in a flash. No more sounds of crackling bonfires or blasting Morlam music - just the distant sound of an old woman pounding freshly picked chilies in her mortar and pestle and a single rooster crowing. Gotta luv those roosters.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

14. 7 Users gave Like to post:

Aux1010 (January 5th, 2023), bkkmfj2648 (January 5th, 2023), Kenny (January 4th, 2023), maump (January 14th, 2023), pong (January 4th, 2023), Ruthrieston (January 4th, 2023), splinter1949 (January 7th, 2023)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Sawasdee phimai, lae go wannee mee wan tee sie laew (HNY-even if its day 4 already now). From, EURope, where winter will not come and where NwYr is as usual since 2000 near warfare with also again a few becoming handicapped or near blind due to those fireworks.
    But counting the days till fly back over to BKK in a day or 11 now. You have made the spirit kept alive.

16. User who gave Like to post:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post

Jai's relatives (around 45) who travel to Buriram from their jobs in Bangkok and Surin packed up and returned to their jobs yesterday - so we're now experiencing the lull after the storm. It seems like all of Isaan went from Boom-Boom-Boom to a sea of tranquility in a flash. No more sounds of crackling bonfires or blasting Morlam music - just the distant sound of an old woman pounding freshly picked chilies in her mortar and pestle and a single rooster crowing. Gotta luv those roosters.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    Great story Dodger.

I think wave II will be passing through soon. The Jomtien Supertown Complex is FULL of guys from Isaan. As they could not all go home at the same time (their bosses made some of them remain in Jomtien in order to take care of us customers) - the next waves are going to start. 2 of my Isaan friends will get their chance to go home on the 14th - as the wave I group should have already returned from Isaan back to Jomtien.
    So the sea of tranquility my soon be interrupted with the next crop of Isaan guys returning home for some well deserved sanuk.