Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: TT Exchange Pattaya

Forum's veteran
    Liked

TT Exchange Pattaya

Can someone do me a big favour please?

Could you drop into TT Money Exchange opposite Boyztown, or preferably in Jomtien, and ask them if they accept UK £50 notes.
    I have a vague recollection that they don’t any longer but I’m not 100% sure.

My bank screwed up and ran out of £20 notes. They forced me to accept £50’s.

Don’t want to recharge them or I will end up with used ones which I know TT don’t like.
    Many thanks.

Liked

Re: TT Exchange Pattaya

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Can someone do me a big favour please?

Could you drop into TT Money Exchange opposite Boyztown, or preferably in Jomtien, and ask them if they accept UK £50 notes.
    I have a vague recollection that they don’t any longer but I’m not 100% sure.

My bank screwed up and ran out of £20 notes. They forced me to accept £50’s.

Don’t want to recharge them or I will end up with used ones which I know TT don’t like.
    Many thanks.
    I was last in pattaya in Oct,, . and used 50s every time I exchanged my UK cash , with no problem

3. User who gave Like to post:

gerefan2 (December 3rd, 2022)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by aot871 View Post
    I was last in pattaya in Oct,, . and used 50s every time I exchanged my UK cash , with no problem
    I've stopped bringing cash with me several years ago. At the time I was told about TransferWise. Since then I've never had a single problem in regards to cash.
    As long as you have a Thai bank account your money will be waiting for you when you arrive here. A Thai debit card is very convenient.

Liked

I have taken £50 notes many times, including this year, and never had a problem in Pattaya or Bangkok. I always ask the UK bank for notes with no writing on them.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Mason45 View Post
    I've stopped bringing cash with me several years ago. At the time I was told about TransferWise. Since then I've never had a single problem in regards to cash.
    As long as you have a Thai bank account your money will be waiting for you when you arrive here. A Thai debit card is very convenient.
    How do foreign nationals (particularly USA citizens) get a foreign bank account in Thailand. it appears very difficult without a long term visa and "
    permanent" address.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

That is right and as such seems even be the law-in essence it seems to depend on type of visa you hold. Permanent adresses seem less mandatory anymore-as all goes via www anyway. It also seem/s/ed that all banks-individual branches, set their own rules and if shop 1 refuses it might still be very well possible that shop 2 of same bank accepts. Perhaps they have a MAX nr of foreign held accounts. But all this is from at least 4-5 ys ago and may well have changed. Old Thai Farmers bank, now Kasikorn was often said to be most lenient.
    In fact what you ask for is in the whole of the EU IMpossible - the stringent anti-black money-laundering laws etc. and Thailand often takes that as own guideline.
    Again: it is unlikely a forum like this will know definite answers-mainstream and very much more often visited forums for expats-there are still plenty- will yield more result.
    AS for those 50GBP notes_ just read that in other forum: it is/was about the now out of use paper notes-only the plastic new ones accepted-but as Brit you probably know better as I how that functions. In general at ForEx: the higher the note, the better the rate. EUR=€ notes come as high as 500-200-100

Liked

As it's been mentioned Thai banks don't seem to want foreign customers. Firstly try Bangkok Bank as one has to be an account holder when my visa agent does my one year visa for me. Kasikorn Bank and Krungsri Bank are also banks I would try out. If you get knocked back then don't be deterred by the the name of the bank as many branches seem to make there own rules. I went down this path many years ago and it's not only convenient but also safer as you have no need to carry more than a few thousand baht at a time.

Liked

https://www.ttexchange.com/exchange-rate lists GBP(L) and GBP(S) separately with descriptions "50" and "20-5" respectively, so it appears that they accept 50s.

What they don't accept is probably the old paper 50s, which have only recently been phased out.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by thaiophilus View Post
    https://www.ttexchange.com/exchange-rate lists GBP(L) and GBP(S) separately with descriptions "50" and "20-5" respectively, so it appears that they accept 50s.

What they don't accept is probably the old paper 50s, which have only recently been phased out.
    They used to give you a better rate for the larger notes (as they do for the larger US notes).
    That has stopped and maybe that’s why I thought they no longer accepted the larger notes.
    Am happy with aot871 and Manc’s recent experiences.
    Thank you all.

Liked

In Bangkok every little helps re larger notes:

https://www.x-one.co.th/#/