Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Pattaya Koh Larn island trip report November 2022

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Re: Pattaya Koh Larn island trip report November 2022

Thanks for your report.

Did you notice any of the beaches facing away from Pattaya not illuminated at night? I'm looking for a place without artificial light to swim in fluorescent plankton at night. It seems to be everywhere in the Bay of Thailand, even Jomtien, however barely noticeable there for all the light on the beach.

I have been to Koh Larn twice and other than swimming in plankton*, I have little reason to go again. However, it is very popular with local and foreign tourists for what I call "the Notre Dame effect" (because I noticed this when I was working near Paris and visiting Paris frequently). There are hundreds of islands that are comparable to Koh Larn, even better because fewer tourist, but they are not as quickly accessible from Pattaya.

*or the wooden boardwalk over rocks on the beach, and it has been many years since my last visit so a return would be interesting.

Liked

Re: Pattaya Koh Larn island trip report November 2022

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    Thanks for your report.

Did you notice any of the beaches facing away from Pattaya not illuminated at night? I'm looking for a place without artificial light to swim in fluorescent plankton at night. It seems to be everywhere in the Bay of Thailand, even Jomtien, however barely noticeable there for all the light on the beach.

I have been to Koh Larn twice and other than swimming in plankton*,

*or the wooden boardwalk over rocks on the beach, and it has been many years since my last visit so a return would be interesting.
    Hi Christian,

Of the 5 beaches that I visited - only the Tien Beach would be in my opinion the least illuminated because:

- it is the most remote from the road,
    - I could only find 1 single place for accommodation on the beach at the Tiennara Koh Larn Resort and that consisted of 3 bungalows that are hidden under the trees and not visible from the beach (see contact info below perhaps you could ask your question to their email and or LINE),
    - the other place for lodging - in an old ship is now supposedly closed (see photo below) - this ship is found in the extreme north part of the Tien Beach.

Consequently, the only light that could be seen is the back of a giant Sea Ray Stingray beach hotel structure that can be seen off in the distance on the most southern part of Tien Beach. This Sea Ray Stingray beach hotel is physically on the Samae Beach - southern most part up on a hill and consequently, the back side is visible from Tien Beach.

Christian - there were NO noticeable wooden boardwalks at Tien Beach - as the only visible boardwalk is made out of concrete at the southern most entry point of Tien Beach.

However, I note that some of the beach establishments where you can rent a beach chair also rented plastic transparent canoes - and perhaps this would be the BEST way to see the bioluminescent planktons - which I also would truly enjoy to see.

I hope this helps - I am also going to contact the Tiennara resort to see what additional information that I can find.
    If you find out additional information please post it here.

Thanks,
    M.
    Blue Boat Bungalow (abandoned) Boat_bungalow_at_Tien_Beach.jpg

Tiennara Resort Info page Tiennara_resort_info_page.jpg

Sea Ray Stingray looking hotel at Samae beach where the backside is visible on Tien beach Sea_Ray_looking_hotel.jpg
    Last edited by bkkmfj2648; December 3rd, 2022 at 10:50. Reason: fix typo