Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Vaccinations?

Liked

Vaccinations?

I'm due to arrive in Pattaya next Wednesday and I have just realised that my last typhoid vaccination was 2013 and my last Hep A vax was in 1997. I guess they are our of date. I took my eye off the ball during the years of lockdown. I'm usually diligent about such health matters.

I would imagine that Pattaya is a low risk area for typhoid. I'll just have to be careful where I eat. I only eat in restaurants and I don't drink the tap water or have ice in my drinks. My last trip to Pats was in 2019 and this one will mark my 27th trip over the years. I've been lucky: not much in the way of tummy bugs, bar the occasional run (s) in after a dodgy meal.

On a separate note: I'm flying Eva Air. Are they still insisting on mask-wearing during the flight, except when serving drinks and meals?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Vaccinations?

I flew EVA last week; I don't recall the issue being mentioned but, as far as I could see, in my cabin everyone was wearing a mask. And most Thais continue to do so in streets and in shops though not in restaurants. Most.
    Many falangs don't....but then we are a law unto ourselves when among Johnny Foreigner, aren't we?

3. 2 Users gave Like to post:

poshglasgow (November 25th, 2022), Ruthrieston (November 29th, 2022)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Having done all those vaccs (we pay in my country for all that) long ago and even upkeeped them the first few yrs (but then I worked for travel and got it reimbursed) I still have that yellow passpt (International recognised) but have not got any of those (some are advised like repeat after 5 or 10 yrs-differs per shot and also per destination), for just TH (and MY) I felt it not really needed and nor did I get any trouble. Once been to a Thai hospital-now also at least some 12-15 yrs ago for a sudden other mishap, that had nothing to do with these. Last note in the passpt was for 1st anti-covid, by now also some 2 yrs ago. Never needed it.
    Stay in BKK in local area and eat daily at foodstalls etc. or fill my bottle from those 1bt machines (foodcourts however seem to have stopped free water service)
    Mask wearing -even still on the streets- seems to be more prevalent in Thai areas, funnily. Noone asks to put them on or even looks-other as in EUR in situations were it is still mandatory. You will be all fine and after such a long time of fast will also be very much fine as the mass hordes still have not arrived back so you have optimal choice! Plus it seems the guys are also more horny and willing to please after the long abstinations. Or that is my exp. till now for 10 days.

5. User who gave Like to post:

poshglasgow (November 25th, 2022)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by pong View Post
    Having done all those vaccs (we pay in my country for all that) long ago and even upkeeped them the first few yrs (but then I worked for travel and got it reimbursed) I still have that yellow passpt (International recognised) but have not got any of those (some are advised like repeat after 5 or 10 yrs-differs per shot and also per destination), for just TH (and MY) I felt it not really needed and nor did I get any trouble. Once been to a Thai hospital-now also at least some 12-15 yrs ago for a sudden other mishap, that had nothing to do with these. Last note in the passpt was for 1st anti-covid, by now also some 2 yrs ago. Never needed it.
    Stay in BKK in local area and eat daily at foodstalls etc. or fill my bottle from those 1bt machines (foodcourts however seem to have stopped free water service)
    Mask wearing -even still on the streets- seems to be more prevalent in Thai areas, funnily. Noone asks to put them on or even looks-other as in EUR in situations were it is still mandatory. You will be all fine and after such a long time of fast will also be very much fine as the mass hordes still have not arrived back so you have optimal choice! Plus it seems the guys are also more horny and willing to please after the long abstinations. Or that is my exp. till now for 10 days.
    Thank you Oliver 2 and Pong.

Liked

Hmmm... this is a bit concerning. Just did some research, and at the very least I should be getting another Typhoid vaccine by now.

Went down to the local pharmacy (at a grocery store though, so there's that), and asked to get boosted up. Other than my four Kovid shots, one influenza shot, and a tentanus shot, I haven't had anything in 24 years. I just assumed at the very least I needed a hepatitis again, but she took out her phone, checked Google, and said no worries it's good for life.

Hmmm... btw... not sure where you are, but apparently here, tetenus now includes dyptheria as well. might way to quickly get a jab for that too if you haven't had one in 10+ years.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Hmmm... this is a bit concerning. Just did some research, and at the very least I should be getting another Typhoid vaccine by now.

Went down to the local pharmacy (at a grocery store though, so there's that), and asked to get boosted up. Other than my four Kovid shots, one influenza shot, and a tentanus shot, I haven't had anything in 24 years. I just assumed at the very least I needed a hepatitis again, but she took out her phone, checked Google, and said no worries it's good for life.

Hmmm... btw... not sure where you are, but apparently here, tetenus now includes dyptheria as well. might way to quickly get a jab for that too if you haven't had one in 10+ years.
    Yes, CDN Matt, the three-in-one jab is still valid. I had mine a number of years ago in the UK. Which vax did you mention was for life, hep A or typhoid?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by poshglasgow View Post
    Yes, CDN Matt, the three-in-one jab is still valid. I had mine a number of years ago in the UK. Which vax did you mention was for life, hep A or typhoid?
    She said they were all for life. I simply mentioned moving to SE Asia shortly, and aside from four Kovid shots, one influenza and a Tetanus shot, I haven't had anything in 24 years since I was 17. Then said I'd like a round of boosters of whatever I need.

She had no idea what I needed if anything because she works at one of those grocery store pharmacies, so just pulled out her phone, Googled it, and said I'm good to go for life. Pretty sure that's not how it works, and after a quick search, definitely doesn't work for Typhoid. Will have to look at the others such as TB, Measles, Rubella, et al and do my own research.

Won't bother here, and will just get it done at the international hospital in Vientiane. Canada has run out of doctors and nurses due to Kovid burn out, so I'm sure it'll be a three month wait anyway.

10. User who gave Like to post:

poshglasgow (November 28th, 2022)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

its spelt COVID