List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How difficult is it to date long term seriously in Bangkok?

Liked

How difficult is it to date long term seriously in Bangkok?

I'm moving from the UK to Bangkok next spring for a year, I'm 30, looking to date around my age or older.

Just wondering how open Thai guys are to dating and not just sex?

If so, what apps are best for dating?

Liked

Re: How difficult is it to date long term seriously in Bangkok?

Depends on you. Are you an asshole, or a good hearted guy? Do you understand Thai culture? Do you know the language at all?

Humans are humans, so of course Thai gay guys are open to long term dating / marriage / whatever. I lived with a Thai guy for 4.5 years before in Khon Kaen (north east Thailand). All humans want love, so that's no worries.

3. 2 Users gave Like to post:

pong (November 22nd, 2022), Ruthrieston (November 24th, 2022)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

u make no mention of the Thai guy...are they all kind hearted genuyine guys...or do some like to take their partners onto walks on high balconies...or convince their foreign partners with their undyoing love to invest in property in the Thai partners name...etcetera...ad nauseum

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Canucky matt has it rough but as such is right.
    Forget apps, thats for short time partners for some fun, try real meets.
    Start to learn -also read- Thai now right away. IF any of those modern time thingies will work for you, it will be the only in Thai ones.
    Latin always, always overcharges it and likes to play the naughty boy. But in essence the warning is right: in Thai-farang relations it will be expected of the whitey to cough up in most cases-be lucky in that for str8 this will even be much more the case. Really equal relations are said to not exist at all in Thailand here-or this may be some western disillusion. If you happen to have scored some ´teach the phaasaa angkrit=/en/ language or the like job-do not expect to be able to live a rich person´s life on that.
    For some amusing reading and long time struggles in how to cope with live in TH and with Thaiguys-on a minimal outlay: christianpfc.blospot.com

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by pong View Post
    in Thai-farang relations it will be expected of the whitey to cough up in most cases-be lucky in that for str8 this will even be much more the case. Really equal relations are said to not exist at all in Thailand here-or this may be some western disillusion.
    Depends on how you view it. Yes, if you're a white dude from the West, then you're going to be expected to be the bread winner. Wages and social mobility aren't exactly the greatest in places like Thailand, Laos and Cambodia.

However, by no means does that mean they're just taking advantage of you and taking the piss. They take care of you, just as much as you take care of them. That is if you treat them properly, and find a good one.

Only real recommendations I can give in this regard are spend some time to learn the language. I can recommend starting here:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Thai-Beginners...A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

There's also intermediate and advanced books, but even once you've gotten through the advanced book you're still not going to know Thai all that well and will still have quite a bit of learning to do. One of those things you just need to live there for a good while to learn and pick up. I lived there for 8 years, and I'm still far from fluent, although I can get around in Thai just fine.

Learning some Thai won't only help you get in good with the cute guys there, it's also going to help you not get scammed. If you hop into a tuk-tuk and start chatting up the driver in Thai, they're going to be far less inclined to try to get some extra baht out of you.

Other recommendation I can give is leave your pre-conceptions of what a relationship is at the door. If you have some magical dream in your mind about this beautiful, romantic, loving, and committed gay relationship with this gorgeous Thai guy, then yeah... that's just not going to happen. Not saying it's not worth it, because it totally is, but it's just going to work out totally different than what you have in your mind, that's all. It's a culture thing.

Oh, and don't be a controlling asshole, as you might find yourself being one of those infamous flying farangs. Your Thai BF might decide to test your flying ability by throwing you off the 22nd floor of a building, haha. It happens.

7. 2 Users gave Like to post:

pong (November 24th, 2022), Ruthrieston (November 24th, 2022)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by supcasrem2 View Post

Just wondering how open Thai guys are to dating and not just sex?
    Thai boys who are "working" (bars or apps) don't care if you have sex with them or not as long as it doesn't effect their tip at the end of the night.

Non-working Thai boys enjoy dating just as much as guys in the West (with or without sex). If you're more interested in this type of arrangement try to meet boys well-away from the working scenes. If your using the apps I would suggest only contacting boys who list "looking for friends" in their profile, and leave out information about their penis size or sexual preferences. At least then you have a chance of meeting someone genuine who would enjoy dating you.

Now that I think about it, I can't think of even one single time in the past 20 years that I dated a Thai boy and didn't end up having sex with him that night - regardless of how the "date" was framed when we got together. But take what I just said with a grain of salt because my behavior in Thailand from day-one has been utterly disgusting...LOL

9. User who gave Like to post:

Ruthrieston (November 24th, 2022)

Liked

I would always suggest a consultation with Dear Uncle Go - his advice may be getting a bit long in the tooth but there are always some valuable pointers!
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Having met a few mixed couples its the foreigner (usually white, but on the odd occasion chinese or arab) that plays the role of sugar daddy, the Thai is always younger/cuter, sugar daddy pays, everyone is happy and smiling and professing ever enduring true love...as long as sugar daddy has cash...really simple really. During one long vicioius gossip session at Babylon an older american depressed me with his tales of woe, of the fortune he lost when he met his true love (30 years age gap) and they bought a villa on the outskirts of Bangkok in the Thai cuties name, new furniture and appliances.....only for various Thai family members to slowly shift in, he ended up in the smallest back room and when he strenuously objected was physically kicked out of the villa...it wasnt his anymore and no Thai lawyer would even listen. He was still living in Thailand but making do with less and styiull hoping to regain control of his villa.....
    Last edited by latintopxxx; November 23rd, 2022 at 01:32. Reason: spelling

12. User who gave Like to post:

Andy (November 23rd, 2022)

Liked

Latin, that's simply not true in all cases. Here's a story for you...

Sept 15th, 2016, I woke up to realize my left eye had also went (right eye went a few weeks before that). My Aussie friend and his BF picked myself and Leo up and took us to the emergency room at the local international hospital. I remember the day clearly, because it was the first day I was fully blind in both eyes.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to go blind? Leo stuck by my side through the whole thing, and I'm sure is the reason I'm such a confident blind man today.

I'll never forget that period. The private hospital room was nice, and even had a sofa which Leo slept on that first night. The next morning he had to go back to Laos though, because his VISA was expiring that day, so he had no choice.

That night one of the nurses came in and explained to me that they're transferring me to the ICU, because they couldn't allow a newly blind person to stay alone during the night. I decided fuck that idea, I'm going to go back home to be with my dogs, and discharged myself. They had no choice but to let me go, so called my Aussie friend to pick me up. His BF dropped Leo a message on Line to let him know what's up.

I get back home, and about 3am that night I hear my gate opening. I freak out because I'm brand new to being blind, and have no idea who it is. Turns out it was Leo. Instead of staying in his village for a week to take care of his parents like was the plan, he did a u-turn at the border upon hearing that I discharged myself, in order to take care of me.

He stuck by my side like none other while I figured out this whole blind thing. Even during the times we were poor, he stayed with me. We're still good friends to this day and talk regularly.

You may want to take a look in the mirror and reflect on how you treat people you meet before you make such judgementss against them.

14. User who gave Like to post:

Ruthrieston (November 24th, 2022)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

oh yeah right...ALL Thai cuities hook up with fat old farangs old enough to be their grandfathers out of love and/or sexual attraction...and the cash has nothing to do with it.....and please define POOR???? In Canada poor probably means you havent got a washing machine or cable TV...in Thailand poor equals living on the streets being nibbled on by rats and cockroaches while you sleep.