Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: eSIM experience with dtac -- be careful!

Liked

eSIM experience with dtac -- be careful!

Since I have an international roaming option on my mobile plan in the US (with T-Mobile), I've avoided changing SIMs and getting a Thai phone number on past visits. This time I decided to experiment with getting a Thai number as well since my phone (and most phones these days) support multiple SIMs. No more having to physically change the SIM when you want to switch between numbers.

So I went to the dtac counter on the lower level of BKK and had a dtac eSIM installed on my phone. It cost 699B for 30-days service (with some reasonable GBs included and a paltry call allowance). After 30 days you can load more money onto the phone at the 7-11. Well, after the 30 day period was up, it seemed no matter how much money I loaded onto the phone, it quickly drained away after very little use.

So what I learned is you MUST choose a new subscription plan for a fixed amount and not allow the company to charge you "a la carte".

Now there is also a gotcha with this as well: If you don't pay close attention to when your current plan is expiring, it reverts immediately back to "a la carte" and oops there goes your balance down down down again.

However when you choose a new plan period, the new plan does NOT add on to your existing plan, but rather WIPES OUT the old plan (and any days/GBs/call allowance which is remaining) thus you LOSE the remainder of your old period. Very sneaky and very unfair. Be very careful! I don't know if all mobile companies (AIS, true, whoever) do this robbery too. Does anybody know? Next visit I will not be using dtac (which is in the process of merging with true anyway).

I hope this post saves somebody some aggravation.

2. User who gave Like to post:

bkkmfj2648 (October 23rd, 2022)

Liked

Re: eSIM experience with dtac -- be careful!

I always use this plan from DTAC which is for 16 days and you can order online in advance:
    https://esim2fly.com/product/dtac-to...thailand-8day/

You can get another 2 USD discount with a promo code.

4. User who gave Like to post:

vnman (November 3rd, 2022)

Liked

I had my troubles with SIM-cards (AIS and true, no experience with dtac):
    https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/20...-troubles.html

Liked

In July I got an AIS sim, paid 200 bt for unlimited data for 30 days and it was fine for online browsing. I think they call it a tourist sim. I used some online website to put 50 bt on the sim for calls which I never used. In September I went back to the AIS shop in Silom Complex, paid another 200 bt and it worked well again for my 28 days there. Good value.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by tom00xxx View Post
    I always use this plan from DTAC which is for 16 days and you can order online in advance:

If I read your link correctly, this is for "unlimited 2G" service", am I correct? That is what TMobile gives me for free as part of my international roaming service. 2G is impossible to use with Google Maps (for example). At $9 yes it is cheap but not very good. Hey brother we are now on 5G not 2G. Unfortunately you get spoiled at good speeds.

8. User who gave Like to post:

vnman (November 3rd, 2022)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by tom00xxx View Post

It doesn't make sense to me. The point of an esim is that you don't need a physical sim card.
    I might be missing something.

Liked

https://esim2fly.com/dtac-happy-quick-start/

In the top right, they show how to do it without sim.

Weird, in the commercial they show the sim.

Liked

what cell provider are the longterm residents recommending these days for service??. I did AIS last time. without much issue..... from the airport.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by maump View Post
    what cell provider are the longterm residents recommending these days for service??.
    I chose AIS and I am very happy with their service. For home internet, my condo building is with 3BB for fiber optic broadband and this service is also really good.