Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Possible Return To Pattaya

Liked

Possible Return To Pattaya

I'm a regular reader here. I haven't posted in a long time. For 27 years, I holidayed or lived in Pattaya. I spent most of my time on the beach and in Sunee Plaza with all it had to offer. The last time I was in Thailand was 2013. I am thinking of a return holiday early in the new year. How much of a shock will it be for me? I know Sunee is all but gone.

Liked

Re: Possible Return To Pattaya

Fred, I think it will be a big shock! But you will survive and have a good time.

3. 5 Users gave Like to post:

Aux1010 (July 26th, 2023), Dodger (July 26th, 2023), Fred (July 25th, 2023), gerefan2 (July 25th, 2023), Patanawet (July 26th, 2023)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Yes; "fings ain't wot they used to be...." Or words to that effect. However, I was there until yesterday, and I had a great time, admittedly doing things that I didn't used to do and not doing things that I did use to do.
    Where else in the world can you meet so many charming, handsome and smiling guys? And yes, there's plenty of them still there, even if many of their work-places aren't.

5. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Aux1010 (July 26th, 2023), Fred (July 25th, 2023), Patanawet (July 26th, 2023)

Liked

Thanks for the replies. One reason I looked forward to my visits was because I always felt a warm welcome from, not just the boys, but from Thai society. That seemed to noticeably decline starting in 2010.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I'm a regular reader here. I haven't posted in a long time. For 27 years, I holidayed or lived in Pattaya. I spent most of my time on the beach and in Sunee Plaza with all it had to offer. The last time I was in Thailand was 2013. I am thinking of a return holiday early in the new year. How much of a shock will it be for me? I know Sunee is all but gone.
    Nice Boys and Winner survive in Sunee when I went recently. Boyztown plenty enough to be fun, though not as much as 6 years ago. The big change is the increase in businesses in Jomtien in 10 years, though currently low season and all the staff complaining no customers. Have a great time.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Although not relevant to the gay scene, the development of north Pattaya- the Dusit/ Terminus 21 area- has been astonishing. Go to the the top floor of that mall and look out ; you could be in Singapore, Tokyo or Shanghai. There is nothing left of the old Pattaya.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    ... the development of north Pattaya- the Dusit/ Terminus 21 area- has been astonishing. Go to the the top floor of that mall and look out ; you could be in Singapore, Tokyo or Shanghai. There is nothing left of the old Pattaya.
    View from the top of Terminal 21.

10. User who gave Like to post:

Patanawet (July 26th, 2023)

Liked

I should have said that my photo was taken in 2019. Even with the intervening pandemic there’s now a new and massive, futuristic looking, building completed.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Yes, you are right about that. The development of that area illustrates nicely both sides of a question....how much change do we old Pattaya- lovers want? I liked the old, slightly run-down sois, even if some called them sleazy. However, Terminus 21 has enough good restaurants to satisfy even P's desire for new culinary experiments. And mine. It provides a fun place to spend an evening, as far from the old Sunee Plaza as is possible. Progress? or a the loss of a unique, gay-friendly environment?

13. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (July 26th, 2023)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post

Although not relevant to the gay scene, the development of north Pattaya- the Dusit/ Terminus 21 area- has been astonishing. Go to the the top floor of that mall and look out ; you could be in Singapore, Tokyo or Shanghai. There is nothing left of the old Pattaya.
    Especially when you consider that Pattaya was nothing but rice paddies up to the 1960's.