Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bangkok Scene: All Change but Same Same

Liked

Bangkok Scene: All Change but Same Same

Below are some notes on the Patpong / Silom / Suriwong scene from my most recent visit to Bangkok, from mid-August till the end of the first week of September. The scene is definitely lively and on the up, although there is a way to go before it matches the pre-pandemic buzz. Much has changed, but much remains the same. More importantly, though, are several big changes to come.

PATPONG

There are currently three male a go-go bars operating on Patpong 2: Dream Boy, Fresh Boys and Hot Male. Along with the Midnight Bar and Red Dragon beer bars at street level, the Suriwong end of Patpong 2 has certainly come back to life. Crowds were decent and the number of boys available makes it easy to find someone, regardless of what your taste might be. What has clearly changed though, is the kind of customer to be found in the bars right now. A lot of the customers in the Patpong 2 bars were younger Asian guys travelling in groups of friends, often including women. These are people who come to watch the shows and may invite a boy down to join them for a drink, I don’t think I saw any of them actually off anyone. Also interesting was the number of straight Indian couples coming to watch the shows. That wasn’t something that I noticed pre-pandemic. While the Patpong 2 scene is limpid compared to what it was before the pandemic, it might be about to receive a shot in the arm, with Patpong 2 set to see a major change.

Dream Boy: Dream Boy continues to offer the biggest line-up of boys among any of the Bangkok bars, with around 50 boys in their crew at the moment. A good many of those are to be found on stage on weekends, with even week nights regularly featuring 25 or more boys. The quality of the line-up doesn’t hold a candle to what the bar used to offer during its Soi Twilight days, but it isn’t a great challenge to find someone who will match your taste, whatever your taste might actually be. Customer numbers fluctuated considerably over the course of my several visits, with the late night show on weekends seeming to draw the biggest crowds. Young Asians constituted the biggest contingent, but Dream Boy continues to attract a notable number of farang customers as well.

Mercifully, the katoey factor has declined visibly at the bar. A single katoey was prominent during the show, doing a comedic lip synch routine. Otherwise, the twice-nightly show now features a line-up of a go-go dancers, a big cock show, a choreographed strip dance routine with a trio of boys, and a fuck show with not one, but two simultaneously copulating couples engaging in athletic and acrobatic sex on stage before descending into the crowd. If you’re looking for an old school Bangkok fuck show, Dream Boy is the place to catch it; indeed Dream Boy is now the only place to catch it. The DNA of the old Boys of Bangkok is alive and well in this bar. It might not feature the sort of six car pile-ups sometimes seen in the old BoB, but this is as close as it gets.

For a bar that was once known for having the best line-up to be found anywhere, Dream Boy has gone through a period of clear decline since moving to Patpong. The smaller venue simply could not hold the number of customers, nor the facilities, needed to support the large stable of boys that they had on Soi Twilight, leading to the departure of many of their more popular boys. Added to that was the number of boys who chose to leave the industry during the pandemic. That period of decline now looks set for a reverse though…

In the biggest shake-up in the boy bar world over the last three years, Dream Boy has taken-over the huge Lucky Boys venue and is set to open there "before the 7th of October." The Dream Boy sign has already gone up at the new site.

IMG_2416.JPG

The venue’s interior is being refurbished, with Lucky’s katoey rococo fantasy décor being chucked out and the interior redone in Dream Boy’s signature black, chrome and mirrors theme.

IMG_2417.jpg

The new venue will comfortably be able to seat nearly 200 people.

IMG_2419.jpg

The current Dream Boy venue will be closed down following the move, with their Dream Boy Paradiso annexe already permanently closed. That, at least, is the plan, according to management; but this is Thailand and until the move actually happens, I shall remain only sceptically optimistic about them hitting their schedule.

In preparation, the bar has gone on a big recruitment drive in order to rebuild its famous “more than 100 boys” stable and, apparently, the have had a slew of applications from new boys looking to enter the industry. Amidst all the optimism though, the fly in the ointment has been their ending their famous “Only Thai Boys” policy, with a number of Cambodians now to be found in the bar. Management says that their focus will remain on recruiting Thai boys, however. The reboot of Dream Boy could be a catalyst for the scene on Patpong 2. If they are able to replicate anything close to their success on Soi Twilight, the Bangkok scene is about to get a shot in the arm and the prospect of their iconic neon sign returning to lord it over the soi gives me reason to start planning my next trip.

First drinks are priced at 450 baht (500 baht for cocktails). Boys' drinks are 400 baht. Off fees are 500 baht. Guys are mostly in jeans and bare-chested.

Hot Male now has about 15 boys on the books and between 10 to 15 on rotation every night. On all my visits, the boys clearly outnumbered the customers. Hot Male was still good fun though. This is the only completely katoey-free bar in Bangkok and the shows aren’t bad either. There were several decently choreographed dance numbers and a big cock show. Missing was their famous fuck show. When asked, Mamasan informed me that they had done away with it because “boss don’t like fuck show”. Really? “Since when?”, I was tempted to ask. Hot Male was practically the home of the fuck show. Alas, no longer, it would seem.

The line-up here is a mix of more muscled guys along with a few slightly raffish looking slimmer guys and the crew is mixed Thai and Cambodian. Twink lovers should look elsewhere, but the bar offers a number of well-muscled gay guys who are willing to bottom. Perhaps that is something that they ought to be advertising more aggressively, along with the absence of katoeys. Hot Male’s location counts against it in-terms of attracting walk-in traffic and they really do need to do a better job of marketing their offerings. Guys were mostly in jeans, when they were in anything at all. In a nice touch, the DJ is offable at the end of the night. Drinks, both yours and the boys’ are 400 baht. Off fees are 500 baht.

Fresh Boys remains a bastion of the Viet Cong. Their choice of Vietnamese bar boys, the style of their shows and the continued inclusion of Chinese in their commentary, despite the current absence of Mainland customers, makes clear that they have no intentions of changing anything to accommodate the current reality. Fresh Boys remains focused on attracting Chinese customers. This isn’t a bar that has ever excited me, but it continues to draw reasonable customer numbers and that can only be a good thing. Guys are in white shorts and there must have been about 15 of them visible when I popped-in shortly before show time. There were considerably fewer when I came for the late show on another occasion. Fuck shows, with a single couple, are available nightly, but they don’t generate anything close to the electricity of the Dream Boy bang show though. Drink prices have risen to 400 baht.

A couple of strange things have been written about the origin and ownership of Screw Boy and Lucky Boys over on the GT forum, leading to odd speculation about their future prospects. Screw Boy, for the record, is owned by the King’s Group, which controls most of the top girlie bars on Patpong 1, as well as the largest katoey bar in Patpong. At the current time, they have only reopened their flagship King’s Castle and King’s Castle 1 bars. Whether they will now consolidate their operations in just a few top properties or resume their wider business remains to be seen. Screw Boy’s fate remains in limbo at the moment. Lucky Boys, which was a merger of the X-Group Bars and Classic Boys is now permanently gone. According to the mamasan at Dream Boy, Lucky has no plans to reopen at a new location. Still, given the length of time that its owners spent in the industry and the ample availability of space, I wouldn’t rule-out something new emerging on the scene from that quarter. That may just be wishful thinking though.

SILOM SOI 4 (SOI KATOEY)

Soi 4 is not really my playground. Apart from Jupiter, there is little that holds my interest in the street. Still, a number of strolls along the soi show that it has made a strong recovery with good crowds on most nights.

Jupiter: If one bar has, genuinely, benefited from the anticipated influx of attractive men post-Covid, it is Jupiter. This bar has long had some of the best looking boys in the business and the current line-up is even more impressive than what they had prior to the pandemic. In the long-running contest between Jupiter and Dream Boy over which bar had the best boys, the crown is for now, clearly, on Jupiter’s head; and I say that as someone who continues to favour Dream Boy. Perhaps that will change with the reboot of Dream Boy next month; but for now Jupiter really has no rival in the handsome stakes. Unsurprisingly, Jupiter remains busy, with many of its boys booked for days in advance. The crowd still includes a large number of women and they still offer the slickest, least revealing shows in Bangkok. Their line-up remains heavily skewed towards Cambodians and management’s firm control over its migrant labour force ensures that those lads remain in great shape. Their boy parade alternates between having the guys in black briefs and in black jeans. Drinks are still 400 baht and off fees remain 500 baht.

Banana Boys turned-out to be one of the more pleasant surprises of this trip. Banana is, in fact, the relocated, original, Fresh Boys from Soi Twilight – a bar from which I never had any particular desire to off anyone or to spend more than half a minute in. The line-up here is mostly of smaller-sized guys who run the gamut from actual twinks, to a few pocket Hercules types, to a number of short, fat individuals. This is by no means the best line-up in Bangkok, but it was not bereft of possibilities. Having wandered in on a Sunday night, mid-way through their show, one was treated to a suck show, a rather impressive big cock show and a line-up of three ugly, lip-synching, drag queens. There was also a shower stall on stage, but if they had a shower show that night, I missed it. There were perhaps 15 to 20 guys in white shorts working when I wondered in on the final Sunday in August.

What gave the bar a fun vibe was the crowd. With their relocation to Soi 4, they are attracting a more casual, mixed Soi 4 crowd of gay men, straight couples and girls on a night out. Watching the reactions of the first-timers in the crowd to the shenanigans on stage was at least as amusing as what was happening on stage itself. Drinks are priced at 350 baht and at 250 baht for the boy drinks, making this the cheapest of the mainstream bars. Banana isn’t my cup of tea; but as an unplanned, one-off, alternative night out, it was pleasant enough. Note that the a go-go has moved to the ground floor from its previous first floor location.

Banana officially closes at 1:00 a.m. but the bar now offers a sort-of late night speakeasy on the top floor. Upstairs is a small disco that opens once the downstairs a go-go officially closes and it remains open until very late. The crowd in this little after-hours bar was mostly young Asians, with a couple of older farang who had, obviously, bought and brought their own company. It wasn’t my scene and I only stayed for a while to survey; but for those who want to stay out late but don’t want to go to Soi 2, this is now an option. Just walk into the seemingly-closed Banana Bar and straight-up to the top floor.

Continued below...

Similar Threads:
      Last edited by a447; September 17th, 2022 at 22:27.
      Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience.

• 23 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (September 17th, 2022), Asia Traveler (September 18th, 2022), aussie (September 27th, 2022), Aux1010 (September 21st, 2022), catawampuscat (September 18th, 2022), christianpfc (September 17th, 2022), ChrisUK (September 21st, 2022), danai (August 27th, 2023), Dodger (September 26th, 2022), francois (September 17th, 2022), GWMinUS (September 18th, 2022), ichigo (October 8th, 2022), Jellybean (September 16th, 2022), maump (September 17th, 2022), Maxxy (September 22nd, 2022), Moses (September 16th, 2022), nlwrestleboy (September 17th, 2022), oio999 (October 23rd, 2022), pong (December 18th, 2022), poshglasgow (October 2nd, 2022), prickles (September 30th, 2022), Smiles (January 26th, 2023), splinter1949 (September 21st, 2022)

Liked

Re: Bangkok Scene: All Change and Same Same (Part 1)

Continued from above...

SOI TANTAWAN

Much has changed on Soi Tantawan (Silom Soi 6), with none of the bars being exactly what they were before the pandemic. Yet, at the same time, it is all still same-same on this more dubious side of the scene, with some venues gone but not gone…

Tawan: If Jupiter is now ascendant, the sun is also rising. Tawan now offers the best line-up that it has had for years, with some of their guys looking like they stepped straight out of its heyday, including several major prize-winning bodybuilders. There is no shortage of hard bodies in this bar at the moment. At the end of August they had 30 guys on their official roster and they have continued to add top-notch talent to their stable. Admittedly, the bar still has its share of over-the-hill guys, including the pair who do the bang show.

IMG_2421.jpg
      Tawan has been giving-out branded hand sanitisers to customers.

Tawan’s shows remain pretty much what the bar has long been known for: flexing shows, katoey lip-synching (featuring the most attractive katoey to be seen in any of the bars), a big cock show with the guys descending into the crowd and offering a chance to grope and feel, a bang show and their famous chuck wow show. The much smaller stage in the current venue also sees more of the action taking place at ground level. Tawan still offers a day time massage service. They have a couple of massage rooms on the upper floor which double as short-time rooms at night.

As previously noted, Tawan has moved to a smaller venue across the soi from its old location. According to the owner, it was not lack of business that prompted the move but, rather, the owner of the old building has not renewed the leases on the several contiguous properties that he owns. Redevelopment is coming to that section of soi 6, it would seem. Far from being a blow to Tawan though, the move seems to have shocked the owner out of his complacency and he has gone on a recruitment drive and says that he is looking for a suitable larger venue.

The biggest change in the bar has not been its halving in size but in the lighting within. The old bar offered many dark corners, allowing ample opportunities for dubious deeds. By contrast, the new bar is brightly lit, with all shenanigans visible to everyone. The other big change has been on prices. Tawan has always been the most expensive of the bars, with guys frequently quoting a thousand or more above what you would expect to pay in any of the other bars. No longer, though. Prices elsewhere have headed upwards while prices at Tawan have stood still or drifted down. One of their prize winners quoted 2,500, while even one of their two top stars quoted 3,000. Then again, on one occasion when I was there a lusty old farang offed two of the Tawan studs and took them upstairs, before staggering down 40 minutes later, having tipped them 4,000 each. This place still moves to its own rhythm…

What hasn’t changed though, are the attitudes. Tawan remains a friendly place. The lack of a mamasan system here continues to be one of its major advantages, with their free-range guys circulating around the bar and coming-up to introduce themselves. Discussing what the guys in Tawan wear would be pointless, given that the answer has always been “very little” or “nothing at all.” That hasn’t changed. No sign of black jeans here. The bar was also full or close to full on most nights that I visited. Not that it takes many people to fill the new venue. Tawan’s fan base has remained loyal and there were a couple of nights when it was absolutely packed though. More importantly, people continue to spend real money at this bar.

Drinks cost 400 baht each and off fees remain 500 baht. Tawan is on the up.

The New Twilight Bar is a welcome addition to the Bangkok scene. The bar is located directly opposite Nature Boy on Soi Anuman Ratchathon, which branches off from Soi Tarntawan at the junction where the Mango Tree restaurant is located. The bar is sleek, spacious and well laid-out, with comfortable seating, a large central stage and a large LED screen behind the stage. The owner is Chinese and the bar is targeted at Mainland Chinese. For now though, in the absence of the Chinese, they are focused on building-up their crew and working on their shows. The biggest negative in this place is that smoking is permitted; but that is only to be expected given their mainland Chinese target market.

Most boys are on the decent looking, lean-muscled, masculine side. Total numbers are still relatively small, but they are actively recruiting, with their crew being a mix of Thais and lads from neighbouring countries. The twink quotient is provided by the waiters, who are also offable – at least in theory. The mamasans are a younger bunch than you find elsewhere and actually quite pleasant, rather than overly in your face.

The place is still fining its footing and the rough edges give it its own appeal. Boys are generally in jeans, except at show time. The bar is clearly aiming for a more sophisticated type of show along the lines of Jupiter and Moonlight, but they still have some way to go with their new recruits occasionally out of step with the choreography on stage. Mercifully, there is a low katoey factor in New Twilight, with a ladyboy only prominent during some of the choreographed dance numbers. As with Jupiter and Moonlight, the shows feature no nudity. The highlight of the show is a crew of very handsome young B-Boys with an impressive routine. The B-Boys are not offable, although they are available to join you for a drink in the bar.
      Considering the number of drinks that I bought in this place, it is somewhat galling that I can’t remember whether they were priced at 350 baht or 400. 350 baht comes to mind, though. Off fees are 500 baht and the mamasans have tablets that state the tip for boy as 2.500 for short time and 5,000 baht for long time.

The Sleaze Bars: Of the three, old, sleaze bars on the soi – the Golden Cock, Nature Boy and Super A – there is also somewhat to be reported. As previously noted, the Golden Cock is now operating from the Nature Boy premises, with signage for both the Golden Cock and Nature Boy still at that venue. A number of guys from the old GC are to be found in that bar. Their presence has done away with the need for Nature Boy to constantly dredge-up waifs from who knows where to populate their bar. The Golden Cock / Nature Boy combo has now done away with any pretentions of being an a go-go and is now, supposedly, a karaoke bar that is open all night. On my first visit, there was one boy in the bar (ex-GC) and on my second visit at 1:00 a.m. on a different night, a grand total of three. To be fair to them though, there were considerably more guys hanging around the bar on an occasion when I did not stop and go in. The old katoey concierge from Super A (referred to by some as “the long-haired boy”) is now the doorman at Nature Boy. He informed me that Super A is to reopen sometime in September. If anyone ought to know, it would be him, but seeing is believing though. He also informed me that the Golden Cock will not be returning to its old digs as that building has now been leased by the Chinese owner of the New Twilight.

Further down towards the Silom end of Soi Tantawan, the dubious massage parlours are operating as normal, with their boys sitting outside. For those looking for a genuine and genuinely good Thai massage, on the other hand, Prime Massage is still the best option. Reservations are highly recommended as slots are often almost fully-booked, despite Prime extending across three, separate, buildings. At 400 baht for a 90 minute Thai massage and a minimum tip of 100 baht for the masseur, it’s an absolute steal.

SOI THANIYA 2

Soi Thaniya 2’s association with Bangkok’s gay nightlife goes back to the 1960s, when the original Twilight Bar stood at the entrance to the Soi and the Surawong Hotel provided a place to do the deed. On this trip I found an additional reason to visit the soi.

Surawong Café: Just opposite Moonlight is the newly-opened Surawong Café, which offers Western and Thai fare. It is co-owned by a genuinely sweet divorcee and her business partner, who was formerly a chef at the Westin Grande Sukhumvit. The pizza was excellent and the service was good, and they are open for lunch and dinner. Commenting on their somewhat hidden location, I suggested that they might do better on Patpong 2. She shared that apart from the higher rent in Patpong being a deterrent, the dreadful night market is set to return in December. Whether that will actually happen remains to be seen; but if it does it will crimp any hope of a real revival in nightlife on Patpong 1. Good food available here at decent prices and a nice alternative to Soi 4.

Moonlight: A couple of weekend trips to Moonlight show that the bar is doing well. Arriving rather early on a Friday night, the mamasan informed me that they had 24 boys on rotation that night. Their total line-up is now somewhere around 26 or 27 boys, excluding their overhyped “models”. Including those, the Moonlight crew now stands at perhaps 33 or 34 boys. Barring the models, their line-up is largely Cambodian. Thai faces are in short supply here. Most of the guys in the bar are in good shape and offs would seem to be reasonably common, with a separate late-night visit seeing a considerably reduced number of boys left in the bar. The crowd was almost exclusively Asian and decent for a Friday night. Unlike Jupiter, though, Moonlight has yet to see attendance return to pre-pandemic levels. The shows are also less elaborate than they were pre-pandemic and completely lacking in erotic content. Guys are mostly in dark jeans or trousers, with some in singlets and some bare-chested. The cover charge, including first drink is 400 baht. After midnight, second drinks are 250 baht. “Drink for boy” is 400 baht.

SOI 2 SILOM

I generally avoid the death trap that is Soi 2 but did stop-by on a Thursday night to see the state of things. DJ Station was quiet but the bar diagonal to it was packed with nerdy young East Asians and their female friends “dancing” to crap Korean music. The big change is the absence of working boys heading to Soi 2 in search of customers once the a go go bars close. Without the older farang or Southeast Asians who are willing to pay, there is little incentive for them to be there. Whether that makes the vibe on soi 2 more or less fun right now is a matter of opinion. I personally couldn’t care less. People on the soi were having a good time and that’s what matters. Bangkok is swinging again.
      Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience.

• 28 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (September 17th, 2022), Asia Traveler (September 18th, 2022), aussie (September 27th, 2022), Aux1010 (September 21st, 2022), BenCH (September 18th, 2022), catawampuscat (September 18th, 2022), christianpfc (September 17th, 2022), ChrisUK (September 21st, 2022), Dodger (September 26th, 2022), francois (September 17th, 2022), GerBear1958 (September 20th, 2022), GWMinUS (September 18th, 2022), ichigo (October 8th, 2022), Jellybean (September 17th, 2022), llz (September 17th, 2022), Mancs (September 18th, 2022), maump (September 17th, 2022), Maxxy (September 22nd, 2022), oio999 (October 23rd, 2022), pong (December 18th, 2022), poshglasgow (October 2nd, 2022), RonanTheBarbarian (September 24th, 2023), Ruthrieston (September 17th, 2022), smcm88 (November 11th, 2022), Smiles (January 26th, 2023), splinter1949 (September 21st, 2022), stev3 (October 8th, 2022), talisman (September 30th, 2022)

Liked

Re: Bangkok Scene: All Change but Same Same

Absolutely wonderful report! I wish one of the Pattaya guys could do a report like this on Boystown and Jomtien

• User who gave Like to post:

GerBear1958 (September 20th, 2022)

Liked

Thank you very much for the report and the background information. I had a look some weeks ago but didn't make it into any of the bars because numbers of boys were low, none clearly my type, still mostly too much clothing (I don't pay gogo prices to see boys in jeans or even shorts).

Off fees are 500 baht and the mamasans have tablets that state the tip for boy as 2.500 for short time and 5,000 baht for long time.
      Was there an indication if those prices are fixed or serve as a basis for negotiation? In Toy Boys Pattaya, mamasan showed me a price list 1500 for short time, but mentioned that some boys will go for 1000.

• 2 Users gave Like to post:

GerBear1958 (September 20th, 2022), poshglasgow (October 2nd, 2022)

Forum's veteran
      Liked

hi Jay, many thanks forn an excellent report, much appreciated.

Liked

Re: Bangkok Scene: All Change and Same Same (Part 1)

Thank you for the info!!! I wish my memory was good enough to give me a good comparison. I did not spend much time in BKK, I was there on busisness. I remember screw boys and golden cock, I went there only to find and off boys. did not explore or hangout. Walk in, diet coke, ask momesan who bottoms, pick and go.

Liked

Thank you for the Great Report. It would help me for my Thailand/Vietnam Trip in November/December.

Liked

I had a look yesterday around 9 pm. Bars ranged from empty (New Twilight not a single boy on stage, staff invited me for a drink, to wait for their show) to full (Tawan, the only bar with boys in underwear, but none my type). Fresh Boys, Hotmale, Banana Bar up to 10 boys on stage, but in short or long trousers. All ladybars that I could see through door ladies in underwear. I won't pay for a drink to see boys in shorts or long trousers, and I told all of them (staff in the bars) so.

GerBear1958 (November 2nd, 2022)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
      I had a look yesterday around 9 pm. Bars ranged from empty (New Twilight not a single boy on stage, staff invited me for a drink, to wait for their show) to full (Tawan, the only bar with boys in underwear, but none my type). Fresh Boys, Hotmale, Banana Bar up to 10 boys on stage, but in short or long trousers. All ladybars that I could see through door ladies in underwear. I won't pay for a drink to see boys in shorts or long trousers, and I told all of them (staff in the bars) so.
      Sounds about right. Considering that most of the crowd right now is there for shows, most bars are probably going to be fairly empty until about showtime. Nice to hear that Tawan had another packed night. As far as putting boys back into briefs goes, one can hope; but I am not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
      Was there an indication if those prices are fixed or serve as a basis for negotiation? In Toy Boys Pattaya, mamasan showed me a price list 1500 for short time, but mentioned that some boys will go for 1000.
      There is probably room for you to make an offer. When the boy confirmed that he wanted to go with me I asked him how much he was expecting. He said that he wasn't sure what the price was and he would check with the mamasan. 2,500 wasn't a number that he was fixated on. I could probably just have made him an offer instead of asking. He might not have accepted the lower offer, but I doubt that he would have taken offence. Given the currently low customer numbers at New Twilight, offs aren't happening frequently and guys might be more amenable but that may change with the arrival of their targeted Chinese customers. I was fine with the price quoted, though. The vibe was good and I was enjoying his company and I wasn't going to spoil it by haggling over 500 baht. I will note that the 2,500 baht for short-time that the mamasans have on their tablets now is down from the 3,000 baht that they had on their tablets in June. A degree of reality seems to have crept into the owner's expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
      hi Jay, many thanks forn an excellent report, much appreciated.
      Thank you.

Liked

Is it possible to book someone from say Jupiter online (in advance)? Tried facebook messenger but it seems no one responds despite their account being active with almost daily posts